Epic Mickey

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Epic Mickey

Post by Dan » December 31st, 2010, 1:44 am

Been playing a lot of the game so far. It's very good. My one major beef, though, is with the camera, which is ungodly difficult to work with. It doesn't help that trying to adjust the camera is as much of a pain. Other than that, it's very unique how to go about playing the game.

Mickey's actions shape the course of the game as you progress. You can determine whether he is a goody-two-shoes or a mischievous prick. Making things even more interesting is that both offer rewards that sometimes doing the other won't yield.

Take for instance (spoiler alert):
The Gremlins are miffed with Small Pete, accusing him of purposefully crashing his boat into their village and causing thinner to spill out. On board his ship with the log, which prove that the crash was an accident that that he is remorseful. Proving his innocence will yield a couple special pins down the road, while handing it over to a less than reputable Gremlin will also yield another special pin. How you deal with the situation also plays into how the other Petes treat you in the future, thus affecting the ending.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 31st, 2010, 2:01 am

I bought this game for myself, but wrapped it for Christmas for my daughter. My guilt was alleviated when I saw how much she loved it---- both receiving it and playing it. I mostly just watch her play, spellbound by the beautiful design and story. It's a very cool trip for fans of old-time Disney.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 31st, 2010, 10:18 am

I'm probably going to buy a Wii in order to get into this one (and Toy Story Mania). I'm not really a gamer, so the more "limited" (as I understand it) aspect of the Wii will be lost on me anyway and I'd only be picking it up to play a certain number of games.

That's on hold for now, while I work out if we're getting a PS3, again mainly as a second UK-BD player, though handy for anything that might show up in future.

But I'm well sold on Epic Mickey, and am tempted to buy it now, while there's an HMV-exclusive bonus DVD with it. No idea what the content is, but supposedly there's some Mickey cartoons, concept art for the game and other material on its making.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 31st, 2010, 12:53 pm

It sounds like it includes some content from the collector's edition available here. That comes with a bonus DVD, an exclusive Mickey figure, and some Wii doodads. I almost picked that version up, but stopped myself--- just wasn't quite worth the extra expense. That figure is nice, though. I just figured the DVD probably includes what we saw online leading up to the game release. (On the other hand, I'm really tempted on the collector's set for DC Online--- nice Batman figure, a comic, and more.)

The Wii is a good system, it's main drawback being that it isn't HD and perhpas not as robust overall in terms of graphics. But for a non-gamer like myself, it seems leagues beyond what we had when I was a kiddo.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 31st, 2010, 2:01 pm

That goes without saying, Rand!

Even the current portables blow the 16-bit systems out of the water.

What can be done on a PSP is amazing! You basically a system between Dreamcast and PS2 capability that on occasion displays fantastic graphic level for a portable... Now if only the software selection mirrored the best of what it's capable more than once a 1 year!

My only gripe is the cost of the current systems. They're way more expensive than the previous generation systems were at this point in their lifetimes.

Granted, MS killed off the XBox effectively in '05 after a 4-year run and introduced the 360.
The PS2 has been slowly dying for about 3 years now but is still vigorously supported in Asia.
The GameCube really wasn't a factor after 2004.
What is common with the previous generation systems is that by '04 they were selling for $150 or less for the core consoles.
The cheapest system of this generation which IS criminally overpriced is still $199. Big N gives you extra games in the bundle but the core Wii system could easily be sold for under $150 and still make Nintendo a profit... and Wii sales have slowed down in the past 18 months...

We're still looking at probably at least 2-3 years before a next-gen console is launched even though both Nintendo and Sony are releasing new portable systems next year. Nintendo will do well with the 3DS but Sony has an uphill battle with the PSP2 unless they convince people they're going to support it with a more aggressive software selection. That's what killed the PSP in North America even though it's doing well in Japan.

Both the 360 and PS3 still have some tricks left in them. The PS3 is early with 3-D capability but is positioned to launch possibily the most impressive successor system of the next generation. IF the PS4 can be launched at a lower price-point with scaled capabilities -- the a similar hardware base but with more memory, increased CPU modules, and a better-prepared developer base -- it should do much better. I don't think Sony is going to do what Sega did and have back-to-back failures with otherwise impressive systems. They have Blu ray and 3-D experience behind them that the other companies don't....

I still don't know how well 3-D will do next generation -- depends on both the economy and a settled-in hopefully common 3-D standard for the home -- but Nintendo will be in worse shape capability-wise for the next generation... They don't have the tech R & D resources the other companies do.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 18th, 2011, 8:08 pm

By the by, I picked up the collector's edition of the game. The bonus DVD includes pretty much the majority of the featurette videos that can been seen on the disneyepicmickey YouTube channel (including the David Garibaldi appearance at E3), a collection of concept art and production designs (some of which can be found in the game, others can't), and four remastered cartoons that were influential to the game: Thru the Mirror. The Lonesome Ghosts, Clock Cleaners, and the Whalers.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 18th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Thanks for that info. I had been looking for more specifics on what was on that disc (but suspecting that a lot of it would be available online anyhow). I had decided it probably wouldn't be worth the added expense (though I did like the Mickey figure!). I likely made the right choice for myself, but would have gotten the CE if it had been priced a little lower.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 19th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Well,

I ultimately passed on Epic Mickey -- it was a combination of not having a Wii to begin with and a lack of enthusiasm at the final product.

Mickey doesn't talk at all in the game. He just makes 'ha ha' and grunting noises.

In the one level I demo'd at Best Buy, I was forced to stop every 5-10 seconds; I'd get hints at which buttons to press for certain effects. It was frustrating and very annoying.

I know that Nintendo and Third Party Nintendo licensee games have been getting easier for years -- seriously, go back and try NES games and you'll find they're much harder than what passes for a regular Wii game now(!) -- but the way this game leads you by the hand is a bit much for me.

Most games do have a learning curve but most aren't as condescending and easy as what I saw... Major disappointment. I expected something more like an Earthworm Jim type of game. Instead, we got a middle of the road platformer that feels like it was designed for 3-year-olds.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 19th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Maybe it was the first level?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 21st, 2011, 8:08 pm

I've noticed in MickeyJunk mountain there are old cartridges of mickey games from the days of NES and SNES.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » January 21st, 2011, 10:57 pm

Believe me, George, this is anything but an easy game, or one that is catered to baby a 3-year-old. As you progress further into the game, it gets much more challenging and much more complex. Especially if you want to achieve all of the good things for the other characters. And that's when you take the pain-inducing camera out of the equation.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2011, 3:39 pm

I'm still going to be jumping on a Wii and a couple of the Disney games including Epic Mickey at some point this year.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 24th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Just picked up Toy Story Mania for the kids. It is indeed fun, and reminiscent of the Disney park attraction.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2011, 8:43 am

Randall wrote:for the kids
Right.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 25th, 2011, 12:57 pm

.... more or less.

;)