AV's Best Of The Year Review

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 24th, 2011, 6:18 pm

I think Pixar wasn't over-rated a long time ago. I liked them. But nowadays I think they are over-rated. I don't think anything should have as much great power as Pixar seems to have, taking over Disney and the animation Oscars.

I think Pixar is good. Just not that good. I don't think Toy Story 3 is better than Tangled, Tangled had me do the rare thing for me of shedding tears in the end as Rapunzel tries desperately to save her love when it seems hopeless. In Toy Story 3, the toys assign their fate to death and look sadly into a fire for a very very long time and then get rescued and then we're supposed to just accept toys go on to new owners and live forever as their past owners die and what do they do, forget their owners, do they have favorite owners? What?! It's pretty much only Finding Nemo I love to watch over and over again. And The Incredibles maybe. That's it. And I certainly don't agree with all of their messages (The Incredibles and Ratatouille both say "not everyone can be special"), Ratatouille cockily touted itself as original but served the same thing (this rats-meet-Singin' in the Rain film had the "something new" from a line in the film really just be serving the critic an already existing dish he had from a long time ago as a kid) and Wall-E was disturbing (I guess those robots were divinely endowed with human emotions) but I won't get into all that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » January 24th, 2011, 7:00 pm

I just didn’t like Toy Story 3 at all. At best it’s a slightly entertaining but overall pretty mediocre movie that doesn’t at all deserve its hype or critical success. All the characters felt tired and shallow, offering little to no character development. Woody is the same whiny, undistinguished doll he was in the other two movies and Buzz, one of the few characters from this trilogy who actually offers any depth in personality at all, spends most of the movie not even being Buzz. His only actual character development is not more complex than the switching of the button on his back. Literally.

And as such he spends most of the movie playing his intergalactic space agent persona and about 20 minutes as a boring and surprisingly tasteless Spanish stereotype. And all the other dozen toys have like one personality treat each, so shallow and one-dimensional that they might as well be renamed after it. This is the grumpy old potato, this is the comic-relief dinosaur this is the stereotypical, dumb girl-doll. All the rest of the toys, being all the toys except for Woody and Buzz, all function as some sort of impulsive mass that simply agrees with Buzz, not because there is any logical reason for them to do so but because the plot requires them to.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: AV's Best Of The Year Review

Post by Dusterian » January 27th, 2011, 10:55 am

I actually think its okay for characters not to develop or change. I like my characters to stay...themselves. I know that people can change very much, but at the heart of it we stay the same, at least most of us.

I don't need to see the characters change to enjoy the movie, think it's big or great, or think it's important or worth watching.

However, I do agree that the characters actually did change in a bad way, and that was forgetting about Andy and not trusting him or Woody. That was just for the plot and it didn't seem like something they would really do. Not loyal at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » January 27th, 2011, 11:36 am

Ben wrote:Um, as the "Ben Simon" mentioned a few posts back (I've been away!), I did take a little umbrage to being referred to like that, especially since, even if it had been a mistake, you didn't even give us enough time to respond.

And then...it turns out it's your mistake for mixing up the Best Of...articles we had running! Listen...if you're going to start pointing fingers and calling things "preposterous", try checking the facts first. And just because joint-site articles may have someone's final name on it, doesn't mean that others aren't responsible for them as well.

Many of our features go through all our writers, or at least are posted so that more than one other can take a look and make suggestions. Seriously, as someone coming into a well established Forum board for the first time, you picked the exact wrong way on how to do it, especially for here.

You're obviously also way too entranced by what was a decent, though certainly non-stellar Disney cartoon. I enjoyed it enough first and second times I saw it, though I'm in no rush to see again, even if I would welcome another viewing and probably enjoy it. But it was the result of a troubled production history, and some of the cracks do show.

In terms of your debut rant, I'd usually say "welcome to the boards", but in this case I'm not too sure...
Hmm, i thought i had already replied to this one but i guessed i missed it. Anyway, Im sorry. I can assure you it wasnt my intention to hurt your feelings, Ben.

Anything in my previous posts that you found particularly offensive so that I can avoid such discourteous behavior in the future?

Regarding Bolt. While there were a lot of things i just didnt understand (regarding your Bolt bluray review) we do agree on one point, being the loud, annoying and one-dimensional comic relief known as Rhino. How very ironic that this character should be praised by critics as a break-out character.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Re:

Post by Randall » January 27th, 2011, 12:58 pm

carlminez wrote: Anything in my previous posts that you found particularly offensive so that I can avoid such discourteous behavior in the future?
Just tone down the outrage, and you'll be okay. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » May 24th, 2011, 2:49 pm

So...did the best movies of the year thing happen...?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2011, 3:44 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » May 24th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Is 2010 really the year digital 3d made contact?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 24th, 2011, 4:15 pm

It's a joke title (obviously?). But, yes, 2010 was the year 3D's impact was felt properly, after a slow run-up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » May 26th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Oh...I guess I saw it already not realizing that was it, I even complained about some of it before (since then defended). Was there some other ranking of films that didn't happen yet...the best of...something that all the members here could vote what their favorites were...it must've just been this one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 26th, 2011, 3:17 pm

I believe you're referring to this, Duster. :)

The results for that have yet to be posted.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 26th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Yes, James had the data for that and then encountered some health issues that kept him away for a while. He's just back recently, so hopefully he can release the results in the near future.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » May 26th, 2011, 10:57 pm

That was a real good guess, Daniel! That was it! Thanks to you and Randall. I hope it comes soon too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 27th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Oops! Yep now that I am well and back full time I should get on that!