AV Forum Member

Re: Animated Views 2010 Academy Awards Contest

Post by Jafar » March 9th, 2010, 12:51 am

Thanks guys. That was comforting :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 9th, 2010, 6:38 pm

It was a very fun night, as always!

I didn't think Nick Park not winning was the biggest shocker though. True that Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave were technical improvements over A Grand Day Out, but being very honest, Loaf And Death was more of the same. I was surprised he was even nominated - and so, for the record, was he - and I didn't think for a second that he had a chance of winning. Might have been "nice", but even he didn't know what he was doing there, in his own words.

Biggest shocker for me was The Hurt Locker's winning of the Editing and Sound technicals that paved the way for it to win the two biggies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

AV 2011 Oscar Contest

Post by James » February 13th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Animated News & Views is giving away a Blu-ray and DVD bundle worth $200! All you have to do is predict who is going to win at the 2011 Academy Awards (to be held on Sunday, February 27th). The person with the most correct picks will win!

Make your prediction in each category using the form here. Don't forget to fill in your Animated Views forum username and the email address you used when you signed up for the forums (check your profile if you have forgotten). Not a forum member? Registration is free and easy so why not sign-up now!

Within a day or two of submitting your picks your username will be posted to this thread of the forum. If you DID NOT send the entry (e.g. someone is trying to use your username to play) email us so we can discard the unauthorized ballot.

All entries must be received by Friday, February 25, at 11:59pm ET. One entry per household please. If you send more than one entry, only the first one received will be counted.

And don't forget to join us on Oscar night for a live chat! We'll talk about the people, the fashions, the story-lines, and the awards. We'll also be keeping track who is winning our contest in real time!

FINAL ENTRIES RECEIVED

VALID BALLOTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED FROM:

James
brimicbed
gaastra
EricJ
jharvard
milehigold
jjg4w
Lumi
Tyrod
jweber121
elioli
numbattery
Jafar
Lorikeet
firmanwidyasmara
Tigertoons
Ralphie
Ben
lagrammairienne
Randall
marktoonery
DUCKApril
coasterfanatic8
SteveDanger
Bill1978
estefan
rodman
lowery198
dvdvampire
davey12
Sunday
gloucester1
IPreferPi
calculus
Peachie
askmike1
BlueHen2006
David White
manjowithane
BlueHen2007
kmann
editorfree
eviltoast
slc2466
kicker326
Bill1978
instlouis
moviefan192002
Dacey
sue.neurauter
seanra
deyung
lindahl
Whippet Angel
pableaux
ibrmacf
Grievous91
pacoman64
conehead
specialguy
dizzypig
snuggle4
BobbleheadBuddha
WeirdArchives
Zach
dman48
Pip
toonick
bobbydick
casablanca82
70bugken
Priestybear
jwvaughn007
mr.Zurkon
popfreak80
kurlysticks
Anand
sormint
Baree
riv
WalkingDisaster
bluelily17
hargreae
jessasue
keeklethecat
cinemaniax7
bundy
Facesoffreedom
raisegrate
tcassutt
rmh
robster77
bperkins
Marco723

BALLOTS WITH EMAIL OR USERNAME ISSUES HAVE BEEN RECEIVED FROM:
(these will count pending verification of email/username)

Juuchan17
nlapinsk
bradleyave (urokbradleya?)
BlueHen2005
Josh
saturdaynightfever
ScottGrannan (Cabanachat?)
DarrenBest

NON FORUM MEMBER BALLOTS THAT HAVE BEEN REJECTED:
(these will not count unless user joins forum before deadline and emails or posts here to confirm. let me know before the telecast of any errors)

goagpgbffaa
bwvrnox
Moviemaier
vxznlvtvr
urxdblwhva
jkcdtisppwk
urmhogcnj
znruynwoaxo
egsdid
pnlgjligmnu
john askwith
pgvtdjlnudj
jdwells77
soc038
indi_pops
spalmieri
sjustice
treach33
KevinPR
jeffy11
robseib
daveguth
aneclectic1
salunuk
WS3540
kandigirl

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 13th, 2011, 8:05 pm

I've redone some of the code on the contest page. Let me know of any issues with submitting ballots.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 13th, 2011, 9:09 pm

And much as I'd LIKE to pick TS3 for Best Picture, I don't need to read three dozen old-fogey "Facebook is changing our society!" media columns to guess what bit of disappointment we're in for this year....I'll have to go with likelihood, if I want the disks.

(Still, was just voting over on Roger Ebert's site--He picked King's Speech for Picture, which is tantamount to giving your money away.) :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by Randall » February 13th, 2011, 9:52 pm

James wrote:I've redone some of the code on the contest page. Let me know of any issues with submitting ballots.
When I click to enter, nothing happens, so I don't know if the entry went through or not.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 13th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Do you have JavaScript enabled in your browser?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 13th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Yep.

Did you get any of my entries? I tried to submit more than once.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 13th, 2011, 11:13 pm

I don't think so. You'll get a success screen if it goes through. I wonder if this might be a certain browser issue since I am getting some entries already. Are you using IE?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 14th, 2011, 2:02 am

No, Firefox.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by estefan » February 14th, 2011, 5:58 am

EricJ wrote: (Still, was just voting over on Roger Ebert's site--He picked King's Speech for Picture, which is tantamount to giving your money away.) :)
I guess I'll be "throwing my money away" as well, since I also think The King's Speech will win Best Picture. After it's won the PGA, DGA and BAFTA, it's hard to deny the support it has within the industry.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: AV 2011 Oscar Contest

Post by Whippet Angel » February 14th, 2011, 8:01 am

Yup, that's my pick too. All this talk about Social Network is reminding me of the year everyone was talking about Benjamin Button, which didn't end up being more than just talk. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 14th, 2011, 8:12 am

Yep, it was a Firefox issue! Hardly ever see that! I've fixed it now so Firefox users can enter, but they just won't get to print their ballot afterwards for their own use. If you want that be sure to enter using a different browser for now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: AV 2011 Oscar Contest

Post by EricJ » February 14th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Whippet Angel wrote:Yup, that's my pick too. All this talk about Social Network is reminding me of the year everyone was talking about Benjamin Button, which didn't end up being more than just talk. :P
Yeah, but BB didn't end up on the cover of Time--
It's not just the "trend", it's those who're propagating it: Everywhere you go now, we're getting really old people in the media trying to look Net-literate by talking about Facebook's "influence", to the point that it's become the AOL of the 00's-10's: Used by corporations to pretend they know how to use the Internet, for folks who don't know or think it IS the entire Internet. Fincher even made the movie to try to look "current".
Me, I didn't think "A Beautiful Mind" would beat LOTR, and said, "Oh, look, those 'end of the world' critics from last summer are still supporting Hurt Locker", but I've learned not to underestimate a Cattle-Stampede mentality when voters think they're trying to "prove something" besides just the movie.
(While BB was more of the Beauty/Beast syndrome, where it was the first mainstream non-arthouse nominee most people could think of, and they hypnotized themselves into believing was the front runner because it was easier than thinking of a second. :P )

As for King's Speech, Black Swan and True Grit, nominees driven by single good performances tend to win just their performances...Saves time, and gets right to the subject.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 14th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Firefox should be working with the printable list now.