Robert B Sherman, RIP

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Robert B Sherman, RIP

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2012, 7:29 am

Well, I am sad today.

I was just checking in at the forums and thought I'd check the front page before leaving and everything around me just seemed to stand still while I recoiled in shock at the news of Bob Sherman's passing.

Words really can't express how down I feel right now. Yeah, sure, the man had been ill recently and we know people can't live forever, but when it faces you like that in "print" it's still a shock. And a very, very sad one.

Apart from Walt Disney and Jim Henson, the Sherman Brothers were perhaps the only other people whose work has touched me so deeply. I sing their songs everyday. I loved listening to them speaking about their time with Walt. I still get excited by Richard M's enthusiasm for everything he does and talks about.

I wasn't around when Walt died, and there have only been a handful of such deaths that have really left me reeling in my life (Henson, John Lennon and a brilliant British comic, Tommy Cooper). To know that one half of one of the best (and ultimately still not as well recognized as they should be) songwriting teams (whatever their personal relationship - they created magic for stage and screen) is no longer with us hits me hard in the heart.

People come and go all the time. People say they "will be missed" when usually their glory days were well behind them and new work was scarce from them. They're nice tributes, to be sure.

But this one really hurts.

God bless, Bob. We'll be humming your tunes as long as you're up there looking down on this "Small World" of ours. xx

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Robert B Sherman, RIP

Post by ibrmacf » March 6th, 2012, 9:26 am

I, like Ben, have no words to express this loss. What the Sherman brothers did for Disney, for culture, for our generation was exceptional. The sad thing though is that according to the Sherman Brothers Story, he and his brother were a bit estranged. So, I hope they made up before this happened.

Anyway, goodbye Mr. Sherman! We all miss you!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 6th, 2012, 11:36 am

Guys,

How is it tragic when someone passes away at age 86????

That's the part I don't understand!

He's lived a long life, had a family and kids who obviously love him, had a more than decent career, and brought smiles to miserable people all over the world if just for a few minutes???

How can THAT be considered tragic????

It's a triumph, IMHO.

Celebrate his life! Don't feel sorry for him... His music will be around forever as long as the film reels survive...

... and knowing Disney, those reels won't be rotting away any time soon.

I definitely think the magnum opus of the Sherman Brothers' film music and scoring was "Mary Poppins." They'll both be remembered best for that film. Arguably the most epic of the live-action Disney productions made during Walt's lifetime. Seconded only by 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in live-action Disney productions in my opinion.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » March 6th, 2012, 8:44 pm

I agree that I wouldn't consider his death as tragic, but it was still sad nonetheless. Whenever someone beloved dies, there exists a feeling of sadness for most people, albeit lasting for different periods of time.

But you're right, he lived a long and productive life and we'll all remember him.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I don't think I used the word "tragic" at all in my original post. It's just that certain people are "magic" and it's sad when they go, especially as in Bob's case where he was still involved in different things, unlike some others whose work was over years ago.

But I'm also not going to let this turn into a combative series of posts. Let's respect the man, please, in addition to any celebrations.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 7th, 2012, 2:12 pm

"Tragic" is in the front page story. Not a big deal. Especially with all the other things we could talk about regarding the man!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » March 7th, 2012, 3:06 pm

An article I read said that they put a white wreath on the window in Disneyland that was dedicated to the Sherman Brothers (a few years ago) in honor of Robert Sherman. I think it was Richard who said that they were the invisible celebrities. I think the only word to describe Robert Sherman's death is "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", that famous word that you say when you don't know what to say :( .

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 7th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Not quite the right tone--Think you have to go off-Disney to find the right Sherman sentiment: :(
(Or, if that's too depressing, just:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » March 7th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Yeah you're right EricJ! Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, although definition-wise apt to the situation, the tone isn't.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » February 26th, 2013, 10:23 am

At least they remembered him in the "In Memoriam" section of the Oscars!