Finding Dory

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Finding Dory

Post by LotsoA113 » July 17th, 2012, 2:38 pm

In 2016, Pixar will either prove us wrong or confirm our worst fears...Andrew Stanton will direct the sequel from a concept Disney reportedly loves.

More information here: http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/john-ca ... mo-sequel/

I have mixed feelings about this. At least Andrew is directing, but I feel like this is one movie that should be left alone.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Finding Nemo 2 (yes it's real)

Post by EricJ » July 17th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Did Circle 7 ever do a Nemo script/storyline, like they did for TS3/Monsters 2?

I know Eisner rebelliously announced the studio was going to do one, but don't know if it ever got farther than that.
(There was talk that C7 could do Bugs 2 and Incredibles 2 if they wanted to, but think that wouldn't bring up any contractual disputes for present-day Pixar to go ahead and make them anyway.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 17th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Heads up Andrew Stanton posted on twitter that it wasn't true

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 18th, 2012, 12:48 am

I'm not sure Stanton's Twitter message was meant to dispel the news. I think he was just trying to reassure folks that a Finding Nemo sequel is not the end of the world (or Pixar's reputation).

I would like to see a Finding Nemo sequel focusing on Dory's past. I'm not talking about a prequel; I mean a sequel about that past. I can't help but feel that somewhere is a life she has forgotten. Remember when Marlin met Dory? She was rushing around, spastic. Soon she makes this comment: "I suffer from short-term memory loss. It runs in my family. At least I think it does... hmm... Where are they?"

I think it would be interesting if Dory was actually on another quest when she became entangled in Marlin's. Maybe she was trying to find help, as her hometown was being ransacked by a villain and his army. So, the sequel begins with something triggering Dory's memory about her family. She returns to her old hometown, only to find it in ruins - because she forgot to save the day. And now Dory has to make things right again.

Anyway, Eric, AV's Bob & Rob piece has a brief discussion about Circle 7's Finding Nemo 2. Otherwise, the most I've ever read about the sequel came from CC2K's script review.
Last edited by Josh on July 18th, 2012, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 18th, 2012, 4:22 am

Josh wrote:I'm not sure Stanton's Twitter message was meant to dispel the news. I think he was just trying to reassure folks that a Finding Nemo sequel is not the end of the world (or Pixar's reputation).
Either that, or he's going ahead with the Chicken Little sequel that David Stainton said he was going to do..AAAUGH!! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2012, 10:08 am

Well, not that I want to say I told you so...
Ben wrote:Stanton - any bets on how long he remains at Disney or starts on that Nemo sequel?
Ben wrote:I expect to hear Finding Nemo 2 announced any time soon...

Even if it doesn't turn out to be true, I think you can safely bet on it being seriously discussed, even if Stanton turns up as a writer or producer on the show.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » July 18th, 2012, 10:42 am

Ben..any bets on who wins the next Super Bowl? :wink:

I seriously think this intentional misdirection from Andrew...if we don't see Finding Nemo 2 in 2016 I'll eat my hat, though this is the rare time where I'd be ecstatic to be wrong...
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 18th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Ben wrote:Well, not that I want to say I told you so...
When, when? I wasn't paying much attention with any of the other C7 projects past Toys and Monsters--
And over on every other movies board, we've got the Usual Non-Fan Suspects digging out their old Cars 2 dirges of "Pixar's lazy because all they want to make is sequels, Cars2Monsters2latherrinserepeatetcetc.!"

We've beaten them over the head with more exhaustive history of Eisner, Stainton and Circle 7 than most fans go through in two years, and yet it still doesn't seem to be penetrating.
Any more helpful links to Stainton/C7's Nemo 2, besides the Bob&Ron link?
(The whiners grow in numbers daily, but we'll beat them back, with the power of Truth and Knowledge! :mrgreen: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2012, 6:36 am

When what?

Were you seriously on medication or just had too much applejuice when you wrote all that, because even after two readings it only just, kinda, sorta makes sense to me.

Nemo *might* have been in planning at Circle 7 once, but no more. Stanton has apparently come up with a concept for a proper Pixar Nemo 2 that Disney has got behind.

That's basically the news...and none too shocking after Carter's box-office. The deal is apparently that Stanton deliver them a sure-fire thing, and he gets another shot at live-action (maybe even that Carter sequel he was planning, the first is actually doing quite well on home video).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » July 19th, 2012, 11:30 am

Yeah, I have been a little surprised at how well it's been doing on the home video circuit (it's still in the Top 10 DVDs in America in it's 6th week and was in the Blu-Ray Top 10 for 5 straight weeks) If Finding Nemo: The Search For Profit is in 2016, though, that may be too much time passed for John Carter 2 to occur..shame as I loved John Carter (8.5 out of 10 from me) and would kill to see what happens next on Barsoom!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 19th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Ben wrote:When what?
Were you seriously on medication or just had too much applejuice when you wrote all that, because even after two readings it only just, kinda, sorta makes sense to me.
Translation: When did you "tell us so", and was Laurie Craig's script common knowledge at the time? You would be surprised how many non-fan civilians outside of this board have never heard about Pixar's troubles with C7 (and their need to "clean up" unfinished projects, like Walt's problems with establishing "who wrote" Lady&Tramp)--
And how many non-fans, still wanting to dig up and beat up old Cars 2 grudges for another go, actually believe that Pixar wakes up in the morning and makes sequels for the same reason that Dreamworks does. Them's fightin' words.

(We had just managed to get the civilians finally talking about Eisner's Folly by the end of the discussions on Monsters University, and now this...But the urban-myth "wish" to see Pixar turn cynical, flop and/or betray us seems almost too rooted in the public's mind to ever penetrate it with real-world history.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 19th, 2012, 2:25 pm

:roll: :? :roll: :? :roll: :? :roll: :?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Um...told ya in March. When John Carter tanked (hence the quotes from that thread). See, it's not hard, you just have to look!

Also, you'd be "surprised" how many non-fans (and fans, come to think of it) have never heard of or don't give a rat's .... about Circle 7. And what is this "need" Pixar has? Been in those lunch meetings with your old pal John again, huh?

No, I don't think so. I think from the moment Carter stumbled it was inevitable that Andrew Stanton would have to take on a sure-fire hit assignment. And since Nemo was his baby, then that was the logical choice for him.

That. Is. All.

Forget your silly theories and condescending nonsense, pur-lease!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » April 2nd, 2013, 1:09 pm

Josh wrote:I would like to see a Finding Nemo sequel focusing on Dory's past. I'm not talking about a prequel; I mean a sequel about that past. I can't help but feel that somewhere is a life she has forgotten. Remember when Marlin met Dory? She was rushing around, spastic. Soon she makes this comment: "I suffer from short-term memory loss. It runs in my family. At least I think it does... hmm... Where are they?"
From today's press release for Finding Dory:
Andrew Stanton wrote:"One thing we couldn’t stop thinking about was why she was all alone in the ocean on the day she met Marlin. In Finding Dory, she will be reunited with her loved ones, learning a few things about the meaning of family along the way.”
I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but it's an interesting one, nonetheless.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 2nd, 2013, 2:58 pm

Great minds think alike Josh! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!