"Wreck-It Ralph"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: "Wreck-It Ralph"

Post by laughingoctopus » September 13th, 2012, 12:30 pm

I'm sold. I'm not 100% convinced it'll be as great as I'm anticipating, but it's now a must-see for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 29th, 2012, 9:01 am

New poster.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Looks like they're combining all the poster concepts (classic-game cameos, Ralph and the girl), but making sure we know Zangief, Sonic and Q*bert are in it.
Even animated movies have to make sure every marketable character is represented, even the Hero's Duty bugs.

(..."Boxing Day"? Well, at least you folks get a real Christmas movie this year, we just get Monsters Inc. 3D.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 29th, 2012, 6:49 pm

EricJ are you asking what Boxing Day is?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 30th, 2012, 1:58 am

(Well, I know what it is, I just take it this is not a US poster. ;) )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 30th, 2012, 8:24 am

No worries Eric, I didn't want to assume you didn't and explain it and then look like a fool when you replied with you knew what it was. The website at the bottom indicates its for us folks Down Under. I am a bit worried though it will get lost in the busy period though, as Boxing Day is known as the big day for movie releases in Australia. Nearly all tent pole movies are 'dumped' on that day because it does big businesses, we've all had enough of our families and need to escape so that means either Boxing Day Sales or hiding out in a lush air conidtioned theatre. I know they may cater for different crowds but considering The Hobbit opens on this day in Australia, I think wreck It Ralph will get lost, hopefully it ends up being the place parents want to dump their kids while they watch The Hobbit or is a lot of people's 2nd choice for when they can't see The Hobbit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 5th, 2012, 3:32 am

Bill1978 wrote:And for the record, I've always felt from the previous teaser that this movie had a plot
I was curious, and ended up doing what we all did, before the days of Internet trailers:
Looked up the tie-in children's books that hit shelves a month ahead. :mrgreen:

Apparently,
Ralph feels left out that Felix always gets a medal for fixing buildings. He goes to Hero's Duty, and after getting the Halo scared out of him, wins his own real medal. Over in Sugar Rush, Annoying Girl (eh, name's too long to spell) wants to be a part of her racing-kart world, but she needs a gold coin to enter, and wants to use Ralph's medal--He finds out she's been banished from her game for being a "glitch" character living in an unused game level, and he agrees to help her win the race and get his medal back. Meanwhile, the arcade is about to pull the plug on Fix-It Felix Jr., which has suddenly become a lot duller without Ralph, and Felix goes on a search to bring him back...
Told ya they'd bring in a nice huggy Pixar plot. :)

One other classic game cameo spotted:
Near the end of Trailer 2, there's a don't-blink shot of Ralph talking to a bartender ("Hold that thought.")
Apparently, Ralph was drowning his sorrows with a beer over at Tapper:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 8th, 2012, 2:15 am

EricJ wrote: Told ya they'd bring in a nice huggy Pixar plot. :)

:roll:
Last edited by Macaluso on October 8th, 2012, 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 8th, 2012, 1:41 pm

(I meant Pixar as an adjective--which they seem to have become--now that the Brain Trust seems to be influencing long-salvage troubled-history WDFA projects as well, qv. "Bolt". Or at least the Lasseter regime has a clearer idea of what sells by the last reel.
:roll: back at'cha.) :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 10th, 2012, 11:51 pm

So last week while on holidays I thought I would make a trip to the cinemas to catch some animated flicks. I managed to see Madagascar 3 (better than 2, not as funy as 1) and Hotel Transylvania (suprisingly entertaining). The trailers for both movies featured the trailer for Monsters University (opening in Australia June 23 2013) and absolutely nothing for Wreck It Ralph (opening Boxing Day 2012). In the lobby I saw a number of MU posters and there was even a poster in the lift for Monsters Inc 3D. I saw one poseter for Wreck It Ralph (the one in this thread) Am I the only one who sees something wrong with Disney Australia's marketing campaign?? You are opening the movie on one of Australia's busiest days for movies, you have the last school holidays break before them and 2 big movies that families will be seeing AND you don't think it's wise to advertise the movie that is coming out first and a movie that families will want to go to??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 11th, 2012, 12:18 am

Bill1978 wrote:Am I the only one who sees something wrong with Disney Australia's marketing campaign?? You are opening the movie on one of Australia's busiest days for movies, you have the last school holidays break before them and 2 big movies that families will be seeing AND you don't think it's wise to advertise the movie that is coming out first and a movie that families will want to go to??
Well, since you're the only one from Australia, yes. :P
Monsters 3D HAS to be released at Christmas, since it's in advance of a possible early-Q1 '13 Blu3D disk release, but in the US, Ralph has the November/Thanksgiving audience....And not only that, but the first week in November, traditionally the second luckiest weekend to release an animated family movie of the year. Usually Dreamworks or Zemeckis tries to grab it, and Fox tries to shove one of their Alvin hybrids in for Christmas, but this year, Disney's got the clear lock on both.
We Yanks are just lucky that way, to have time to see both moves, but overseas delays can cause those problems. Yes, having two family films open the same week means only one will remain standing at the end, but, um....you'll manage.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 11th, 2012, 7:24 am

You seem to have missed my point Eric. My issue is that I got a Monsters University trailer before Madagascar 3 AND Hotel Translyvania. The 2 big family movies of our recent school holidays. I did not get a Wreck it Ralph trailer with either of these movies. WIR opens December 26 in Australia, MU opens June 2013 in Australia. If I was in charge of Disney publicity I know which movie I would be putting a trailer for. Cause in reality I can put the MU trailer in front of MI3D (no preview for that either) and WIR when they open over the December-January school holidays allowing at least 6 months of awareness. WIR is opening in less than 2 months and nothing to even tell parents of a potential movie to dump the kids at. The only thing that calmed me down was I didn't see a trailer for Rise Of The Guardian either, so I'm glad that its not just Disney with the stupid publicity machine.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 1st, 2012, 6:06 pm

One of several VERY good reviews that this film has been getting. Could Disney themselves finally win the BFA Oscar this year?

http://www.avclub.com/articles/wreckit-ralph,88179/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 3rd, 2012, 4:34 pm

That's good to know. I think the early negative review I heard wasn't from the most reliable source.
About the film's undermarketing, it wouldn't be the first time Disney shortchanged one of its own movies in
comparison with a Pixar film. (IE: WALLE vs. Bolt in in 2008.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 3rd, 2012, 5:25 pm

I saw it yesterday, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, along with the Paperman short (some lovely animation in that). :D

I also want that "Sugar Rush" game to be a real thing.