Up Here - Musical by Robert & Kristen Lopez

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Team
AV Team

Up Here - Musical by Robert & Kristen Lopez

Post by Dan » March 17th, 2015, 11:07 pm

In-between various Frozen projects, and a one-off for the Oscars, Robert and Kristen Lopez are getting ready to premiere a new stage musical they wrote (book, music, and lyrics) called Up Here.

When introverted, 30-something computer repairman Dan finds potential spark with outgoing t-shirt designer Lindsay, his attempts at a relationship are thwarted by the Technicolor world in his head. This world-premiere musical goes where no musical has gone before, bringing to life the circus of judgmental, neurotic, ever-changing characters that rule an ordinary man's mind. Up Here is an ambitious, razor-sharp musical comedy about recognizing your place in the universe... and maybe even finding happiness.

The premiere run will take place over here in San Diego at the La Jolla Playhouse from July 28 to September 6 (they already extended it an extra week from the original August 30 end date).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Up Here - Musical by Robert & Kristen Lopez

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2015, 5:58 am

...and the movie will land at Disney if the stage version is a hit! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 18th, 2015, 10:21 am

Though they might have to put it under the Touchstone label if the subject gets a little naughty like Robert's previous stage ventures. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 18th, 2015, 10:55 am

Ben wrote:...and the movie will land at Disney if the stage version is a hit! ;)
Retitled "Inside Out: the Musical"!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 10th, 2015, 12:35 pm

I'm about a month late with this, but I guess better late than never.

I attended the closing night performance of Up Here and was quite entertained. I do agree that Robert and Kristen will need to do some tweeking should the show make the move to Broadway, but visually the show is fantastic. It was quite impressive how the show looked from start to finish, with a great deal happening that's astonishing to see take place on stage. The acting was great and the songs were lively (though only a few of them stand out as really memorable to me). It's the story that probably needs the most work, to me. Much of the tale came off heavily one-sided, and what I mean is that it feels like Dan's thoughts are pretty much hijacked by the negative spectrum to the point that there is no positive thoughts that have any personality save for one and he's only present for maybe a tenth of the show.

I'd like to see the show again if they ever make it to Broadway and see what changes to the story they make, if at all. Aside from that, it was a fun show. And I reiterate that if Disney even considers making a film version, it'll have to be under Touchstone Pictures given the dialogue and adult situations present. There is a quick bit in the show poking fun at how similar the concept comes to being like Inside Out.