Finding Dory

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Finding Dory

Post by ShyViolet » June 9th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Cool. Looking forward to it! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 10th, 2016, 10:55 am

Lacklustre review:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... iew-901456

Seriously, this was never anything but a Disney request for a sequel and Stanton caving in after he wasted their bet on him and John Carter (Of Mars). :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 10th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Ben wrote:Seriously, this was never anything but a Disney request for a sequel and Stanton caving in after he wasted their bet on him and John Carter (Of Mars). :(
- (Response where I bring up the Circle 7 script, and Lasseter's need to make a new original-scripted production in-house under the legally owned title/sequel-concept for authorship purposes.) -

- (Response where Ben replies, "Nonsense, what rot! The director was desperate and you know it!") -

And every time they play that harp-and-Aaron-Copland theme from the original movie at the start the trailer, it always freaks me out, as that's the same music that plays nonstop in the Disney Magic Kingdoms app game, and my fingers quickly start moving over a tablet that isn't there. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 10th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Both!

The C7 concept was because Disney wanted a sequel. When Pixar came in they obviously cancelled all those titles. But Disney was still asking and naturally used their leverage with Stanton when JC bombed (I wouldn't have been surprised if he was contractually obliged to deliver a Nemo 2 if JC didn't make a certain number back. That's the way it works: "we'll bet on you, but if it doesn't work, you owe us").

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 10th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Ben wrote:Both!
The C7 concept was because Disney wanted a sequel.
It's more like the confusion between 007's Thunderball and that cheap off-canon "Never Say Never Again".
We got NSNA because the writer who'd legally had his Thunderball script taken away, after a lawsuit over which script was used for the original movie, still had legal rights to his script and if he couldn't demand a piece of Broccoli's money, he'd go and make his own.

After Pixar merged with Disney, they'd inherited the C7 scripts, and the legal obligation to make them, but using the original story concepts would involve crediting the original writers. Although Disney had contracted themselves during the C7 days to make a TS3, Monsters 2 and Nemo 2, with Lasseter now in charge of both Pixar and Disney studios, he made it very clear in statements that if the obligation of making the movies had to be filled, they would be original Pixar productions from scratch (C7 certainly wasn't planning to make Monsters University), and everyone would know exactly which writers and producers to credit, rather than have the original Nemo 2 writer sue for unused authorship or try to go off and make a third-party knockoff. Best to get those issues out of the way EARLY.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 10th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Wasn't Never Say Never Again only made because of Sean Connery's ego?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 10th, 2016, 6:57 pm

I kinda feel like Finding Dory was made because of Ellen's ego. I may be way off track here and I hope I am pleasantly surprised, but everything I have seen of Finding Dory so far just smacks of a vanity project for Ellen. But I may just be seeing that as I tend to dislike sequels where the funny sidekick gets to be the star. There is a reason why the sidekick was memorable and that's because their screen time was limited and the plot didn't revolve around them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 10th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Dacey wrote:Wasn't Never Say Never Again only made because of Sean Connery's ego?
Why, no. It was made because of Kevin McClory's personal grudges of seventeen years. (A fact that was rather played up in all the pre- and post-release press at the time, when everyone asked "Wait, is this a remake?--Didn't they already make Thunderball?") It only required Sean Connery's ego to be made, as a selling point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 10th, 2016, 9:42 pm

Not many people know that McClory also attempted to remake Thunderball/Never Say Never Again later again with another Bond, Timothy Dalton, with a script called Warhead 2000.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » June 19th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Good Lord those geniuses at Pixar know how to hit the feels! Right from the get go with this movie, man!

But seriously, I thought Finding Dory was just another winner for these guys and the story was clearly crafted with a great deal of care and heart.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 19th, 2016, 11:45 pm

Good for Pixar, though I'm amazed that it is such a hit. Who knew there was really that much demand for a Finding Nemo sequel?

Well, I guess Nemo was their big hit of the time, but I never warmed to it much.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 20th, 2016, 1:02 am

Nemo was their top film until 2010, and actually still is adjusted for inflation.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises ... =pixar.htm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 20th, 2016, 5:21 am

I loved Nemo when it came out, and could see a sequel coming along after its huge success, but am surprised at how big this is coming so long after the original. I guess video sales and TV showings really do keep the right kind of franchise alive. I was going to wait for a Blu-ray, but might check it out now, after Dan's good words.

One things for certain...we can expect a Finding Marlin sooner or later...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 20th, 2016, 7:44 am

So about those lesbians...yes? No?

I loved Nemo, but I remember walking out of the cinema feeling satisfied and not feeling like I needed a sequel. I will definitely be seeing this as I do most animated films but I think I will wait for the hype to go down. Cause I'm already close o blasting people on social media who are demanding their cinema be free of annoying kids so they can enjoy 'their' sequel to a movie they saw as an annoying kid.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 20th, 2016, 12:48 pm

Ha! :)