Harry Potter and the Wizarding World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Harry Potter

Post by Dacey » November 11th, 2016, 7:25 pm

Yates confirmed for entire Fantastic Beasts series...for better or for worse...

http://www.avclub.com/article/diretor-d ... pot-245804
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 12th, 2016, 1:10 am

Dacey wrote:Yates confirmed for entire Fantastic Beasts series...for better or for worse...
For hit or for flop...For series or for single...Till death does it part. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 18th, 2016, 11:16 pm

Just saw Fantastic Beasts. Quick review:
meh.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 19th, 2016, 8:40 am

That's the feeling I got from the trailer.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2016, 9:42 am

It's been getting very positive comments here, which surprised me since I was kind of feeling the same. I was just about to get excited at the good notices I've been reading, but good to have a check on expectations!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 20th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Fantastic beasts did well at the box office with 75m! Good news it's a hit with adults. Bad news it's a bust with kids! Looks like the early fear that not having kid or teen main heroes would hurt the film was right! Only 18% of the people seeing the film are kids! Ouch!
Topping the weekend box office, WB's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them delivered an estimated $75 million, matching industry expectations while falling below BoxOfficeMojo's lofty projections, which banked too heavily on not only the Harry Potter fanbase, but a new group of younger moviegoers. As it turns out, only 18% of the opening weekend audience was under the age of 18 while 55% was over the age of 35, which suggests previous Harry Potter fans showed up, but the new generation wasn't quite as inspired.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4243&p=.htm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 20th, 2016, 5:46 pm

gaastra wrote:Fantastic beasts did well at the box office with 75m! Good news it's a hit with adults. Bad news it's a bust with kids! Looks like the early fear that not having kid or teen main heroes would hurt the film was right! Only 18% of the people seeing the film are kids! Ouch!
Technically, that's probably because of the Myth of Friday Numbers--Parents usually take their kids on weekends.

But yeah, this thing was so front-loaded it couldn't stand up straight. Warner, of course, thought they had this BO weekend before it even opened, and got to work on The Next Five, but I was hoping for that surprise dropoff, since all the pilgrimage-weekend fans got their wish from the poster, but in the end, Nobody Really Cares About Side Stories.
(Or as I put it, "Shakespeare never wrote a play about Rosencrantz & Guildenstern...Tom Stoppard wrote a play about how nobody cared what happened to Rosencrantz & Guildenstern.")
I was hoping to blog about it over the weekend, but looks like I may have to wait for the second weekend's numbers before getting a chance to gloat.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 20th, 2016, 6:04 pm

For what it's worth, I found Fantastic Beasts to be quite fun. David Yates perhaps seemed to be holding it back some, but this is easily the lightest he's been on his feet with the franchise so far. And the four leads were extremely charming and likable.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2016, 4:30 am

EricJ wrote:Warners got to work on The Next Five...
The next four.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 21st, 2016, 8:47 am

Ben wrote:
EricJ wrote:Warners got to work on The Next Five...
The next four.
Yeah, don't give them any ideas!
Dacey wrote:For what it's worth, I found Fantastic Beasts to be quite fun. David Yates perhaps seemed to be holding it back some, but this is easily the lightest he's been on his feet with the franchise so far. And the four leads were extremely charming and likable.
Meh: not bad, but not great. Four main characters were fun. Effects were cool. But the story was just not there - very amateurish and cliched! (The scene at the speakeasy encapsulates the problems with the story.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 5th, 2018, 4:18 am

Kinda random I know, but just happened to come across this...it’s the letter J.K. Rowling sent to Daniel Radcliffe when he was cast as Harry:

https://news.clickhole.com/amazing-this ... 1825121407

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

First Harry Potter nears $1 billion at the box office!

Post by gaastra » August 16th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Harry potter 1 did big in china this week and is on drive ins and mom and pop movies also.

Due to this it's nearing 1 billion! This would be the second harry potter to hit a billion at the box office!

https://deadline.com/2020/08/china-harr ... 203013370/
Blessedly, another busy weekend at the international box office as new titles and eventized reissues hit overseas markets that have resumed operations. The biggest numbers are from China, where Warner Bros’ 4K 3D restoration of Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone drew muggles to the tune of an estimated $13.6M on 16,000 screens over the three-day frame (including $2.1M from 594 IMAX screens). The 19-year-old movie set a new single-day gross record in the post-COVID era on Saturday and is now just a little over $2M from becoming only the second movie in the franchise to hit $1B worldwide.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Harry Potter and the Wizarding World

Post by gaastra » August 18th, 2020, 10:02 am

​Harry potter and the sorcerer's stone just passed the billion mark at the box office thanks to china! It's the first post virus film to hit a billion! Welcome to the billion club harry potter 1!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... ina_harry/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Harry potter 1 nears $1 billion at the box office!

Post by Ben » August 18th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Post virus film? It was released in 2001!

Nah, I getcha, but it passed a billion with inflation long ago! It hasn’t made that much post pandemic breakout. Don’t start getting all George Lucas on us...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Harry potter 1 nears $1 billion at the box office!

Post by Farerb » August 19th, 2020, 7:52 am

Don't tell that to MCU fans that think Endgame managed to surpass Titanic and Avatar.