Puff the Magic Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Puff the Magic Dragon

Post by Dacey » December 9th, 2016, 3:30 pm

This song held a very firm place in my childhood. It wasn't until I was older when I realized how bittersweet it was. Funnily enough, I had a friend who told me the new Pete's Dragon basically felt like a filmed version of the tune.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/puff-the-ma ... 201865404/

Of course, I grew up with Disney Channel in the 1990's, which meant I caught the...weird TV specials several times back when they were shown there.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Puff the Magic Dragon

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Aaaaannd...cue puffing the magic dragon jokes.

No, please...let's not. Thanks.

Like Dacey, this was a big song for me growing up, which says less about the times we grew up in and more about the song cutting through generations to remain one of the childhood rituals we all must go through (the just-turned 14 year old in the family still gets tears when she hears it...heck I do too!).

Puff is one of those songs that you feel must have *come* from an animated or fantasy film, or at least have been made into one before now. I just hope any resulting movie stays true to the bittersweet original and doesn't play it for laughs or try and include any questionable humor along the lines I was referring to above.

And, yeah, Puff as a song analogy to the new Pete's Dragon is pretty apt. And you should all see the new Pete's Dragon pronto, as it's a lovely motion picture. Hopefully I'll be able to sway those on the fence with my upcoming review, but it's a very easy recommend in the meantime.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Puff the Magic Dragon

Post by ShyViolet » December 13th, 2016, 1:38 pm

Loooooooooved the original animated film. So so so so beautifully done. They showed it to us in school once, plus I even had the movie storybook! Really hope they are respectful to it If there's a remake.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!