X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: X-Men Movies Thread

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2017, 5:53 am

I'm really glad you liked it Ben! :). Seeing it Friday--can't wait!
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2017, 7:09 am

Can't wait to chat more about it when you do!

As Saturday morning cartoony as Apocalypse looked (still haven't seen it), this is a complete 180 from that. I wouldn't say it's a hard-R...over here that would have meant an 18 and it only got a 15 certificate, though I would say it's easily a hard-15.

I think the film has a few too many f-bombs, maybe even just to help secure those ratings, and especially in the first half, but they are well placed and largely amusing...the film is "funnier" than you might expect. It felt a *little* long, but not by much. I don't see what could be added in an extended cut, though...it's pretty great as is.

Hope you enjoy! This might actually be my fave X-Movie of the whole bunch. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2017, 5:53 pm

Thanks so much Ben! Looking forward to chatting with you too. :)

On this one being your favorite: hey, you haven't seen Apocalypse yet. (Just kidding! :P )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 3rd, 2017, 3:16 pm

I liked it.

It was definitely more "real" (for lack of a better word coming to mind!) than any other X-Men film. But I also felt it wasn't as deep as it was trying to be. If you scratch the surface a bit the story really was pretty basic. I loved the beginning and set-up. But once they hit the road it was a kinda by-the-numbers.

I also thought they took a little too much advantage of the R rating. No issues with some language and violence, but after awhile it felt like they were just doing it because they could. Sure, set it up at the beginning to set the tone. Then use it occasionally throughout to good effect. But it loses its impact if you use them for every minor interaction.

But otherwise worked for me! Definitely a must see for fans.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 4th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Absolutely absorbing and in many ways, as Ben said, the best X-Men film ever (although my personal favorite will always be X2). Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, what else can I say? Jackman was of course spectacular throughout but Keen and Stewart were great as well, especially Stewart; wow, so weird to see Charles Xavier as a crippled old man who uses the f-word! :shock: And yeah, I agree James and Ben, the cursing did feel a bit gratuitous, but fortunately it doesn't take away from the very natural grittiness that that spans the film throughout. I can easily see how the violence and swearing could have been completely overdone and seem like a "stunt", but it never feels like that once during the film. A true accomplishment...and you never know, the Academy might perhaps notice it?? Could there be a Best Actor nom slot for Jackman? I don't think it's impossible. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2017, 11:06 am

I'd say Stewart in the supporting role is the more Oscar-likely scenario, but it would be nice to think the film might be up for more.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 11th, 2017, 12:48 pm

No need to repeat what others have been saying (since I share the sentiment that it's brilliant, heartbreaking, beautiful, astonishing, etc.), but...

In what timeline did this take place? It didn't seem to take place after DOFP, as that movie had a much "happier ending" for the Mutants than appeared to be implied here. And references to Origins (or at least X2) also make it appear like DOFP "didn't happen" here.

Was this a standalone not-really-a-sequel but more of an alternate-alternate reality here, which meant that the "ending" here is not the ending for the timeline?

I'm confusing myself here. I'll stop.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 11th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Trying to make sense of X-Men movie continuity. Silly boy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2017, 4:11 pm

I simply took it to take place a long time after the "happy ending", when something bad obviously went down between Charles and his students in Westchester...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 12th, 2017, 9:41 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 13th, 2017, 3:50 pm

I really don't understand how they can introduce Cable and not have a separate movie on exactly who he is and his all-important connection to Cyclops and Jean. Makes absolutely no sense. More pandering to the fans without doing any research on these characters. Ugh. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 22nd, 2017, 7:29 pm

Dark Pheonix finally confirmed for November 2018 release!! :) :) :)

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/22/dark-ph ... pocalypse/

Director still unknown, though there are reports that Simon Kinberg is still "interested" in directing. I'm sure he'd do a great job but still crossing my fingers for Singer!
Lol.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 22nd, 2017, 7:46 pm

I'm kinda hoping Singer is done with X-Men. Especially since they already did the Dark Phoenix story, and this already feels redundant before any form of production has even begun. :(

But anything for Singer to "fix" X-Men after leaving the franchise not once, but twice. :roll:

No offense, Vi. It's great you're a fan. :) But I'd much rather see a different X-Men story.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 22nd, 2017, 7:53 pm

No prob Dacey I totally understand. :) I realize not everyone is into the Singer/Kinberg interpretation of X-Men and I respect that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2017, 3:42 pm

This forum already does that. Go to Quick Links / New Posts / then click the icon to the left of the topics when the page loads. Brings you right to the first unread new post.