Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Disney Pixar's Cars

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2017, 9:37 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Why no one in the Cars universe eats food...
Because they are CARS.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 27th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Don't get Ben started....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 28th, 2017, 3:05 pm

And while we're boosting the thread with Cinemablend articles:
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1651510 ... -3-trailer

(Again, I think it's time for Pixar marketing to say "Ix-nay on the ash-smay", and start spilling a few actual details to the rest of us folks who aren't at the D23.
We all know Pixar teasers can be "ambiguous" for only so long before they start becoming counterproductive with audiences trying to write the rest of the movie sight unseen.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 15th, 2017, 3:17 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 21st, 2017, 9:30 pm

I visited Disney's California Adventure Park earlier this week, for the first time in several years .. and I was blown away by Cars Land (which was still under construction, during my last visit).

Though Cars is not my favorite Pixar title, I cannot deny that Imagineering has managed to perfectly recreate the world of Radiator Springs in 100% authentic, life-sized detail. Of course, I'm sure it helps when the director of that film is also the head of Imagineering..! :wink:

The mountains of the Ornament Valley which envelop Cars Land are pretty impressive on their own; with built-in forced perspective and painted-on atmospheric haze, they look much taller and farther away than they really are -- even while you're cruising through them in the very fun Radiator Springs Racers ride.

But my favorite moment was standing on the downtown Radiator Springs strip, at twilight .. just after sunset. "Life Could Be Dream/Sh'Boom" began playing over the PA system .. and, one-by-one, neon began 'lighting-up' each of the businesses: Luigi's Casa Della Tires, The Cozy Cone Motel, Flo's V-8 Cafe. It was an iconic scene from the movie, brought into real life. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 22nd, 2017, 4:28 pm

droosan wrote:But my favorite moment was standing on the downtown Radiator Springs strip, at twilight .. just after sunset. "Life Could Be Dream/Sh'Boom" began playing over the PA system .. and, one-by-one, neon began 'lighting-up' each of the businesses: Luigi's Casa Della Tires, The Cozy Cone Motel, Flo's V-8 Cafe. It was an iconic scene from the movie, brought into real life. 8)
Sadly, Luigi's Flying Tires (meant to be the return of Disneyland's Tomorrowland Flying Saucers) never quite found love, and was too technically difficult to maintain.
Eventually to be replaced by the Italian "dance" for Luigi's family reunion. (One of the only good legacies of Cars 2.)

I still haven't been West after they built Radiator Springs, but the Sh-Boom moment is one of the great park designs:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rjones1325 » June 13th, 2017, 11:17 am

Last month I had to go to promote this movie by going to an event in NYC and typing about it in order for Disney to give me a press screening.

Of course they did and now Well, the time has finally come. Cars 3 is finally here, and honestly, I’ve have NOT been looking forward to it one bit. The teaser was effective, but every trailer afterward had me lose interest. On the one hand you have a Pixar movie, and on the other hand, we have a Cars sequel. After watching both films this weekend (which you can read my REvisit here), I was hesitant walking into this unbiased. Will this be another rough patch in Pixar’s road or will this be the best Cars film yet?

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//cars-3-review

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 13th, 2017, 7:52 pm

At least Pixar seems to have learned that you can't take a sidekick and make any kind of meaningful movie with them front and center (see: Cars 2, Dory).

rjones1325 wrote:The film goes from having the same narrative beats of Rocky, but by the third act, it turns into Creed.
For anyone who gets that, I'd say that was a pretty major stealth SPOILER!! :roll: :shock: :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 13th, 2017, 7:55 pm

I don't get that, but feel like I've been spoiled anyway?

And regarding "sidekick movies," The Lion King 1.5 was well-received for the most part, especially around here and other animation forums back in the day. But that may be in a different category due to its extremely offbeat comedic tone and the fact that it went straight-to-disc.

(For what it's worth, Dory's 94% "freshness" rating was nothing to sneeze at, either)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 13th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Ben wrote:At least Pixar seems to have learned that you can't take a sidekick and make any kind of meaningful movie with them front and center (see: Cars 2, Dory).
Cars 2's problem was more in the category of Good Dinosaur, in that you had the story department patchworking different or last-minute plots and rushing to make them fit:
Lasseter said in interviews "They had me at 'World Rally'", and you can see his idea for the story being Lightning's plot--Lightning's a nice guy now, and wants to be generous and take his friends along for the fame, but the Italian racer's goading him back into cutthroat competition, will he turn his back on his friends and become a jerk again, especially with Mater embarrassing his new world fame in public?

Unfortunately, that plot wouldn't have filled out an hour, let alone a feature, so Mater wandered off into his spy caper, which had all the earmarks (and the trademark running-gag tropes) of a separate Mater's Tall Tales short that was getting too big for seven minutes and probably groomed for a half-hour TV special.
Even right down to Lightning's "Shoot, you remember, you was there!" involvement in the climax, and the "I don't believe it!" doubters hearing the story in Radiator Springs...At which point someone from Mater's story immediately shows up, in this case Holly.

(They also had an idea to go off onto whole set pieces with the talking planes at the airport, but that dragged down the film, so they developed that into ToonStudio's Planes franchise instead.)
rjones1325 wrote:The film goes from having the same narrative beats of Rocky, but by the third act, it turns into Creed.
For anyone who gets that, I'd say that was a pretty major stealth SPOILER!! :roll: :shock: :(
I already spoiled myself with the easy-reader kids' books at Barnes & Noble--a good way, I've discovered, to scene-specifically spoil yourself about the big major money-plots of doubtful upcoming summer movies a month or two ahead, if you're worried--so I already know the third Cars 3 act you mean, but...I haven't watched Creed on my Amazon queue yet!
Should I consider that a major Creed stealth spoiler? :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 13th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Not really, considering that's the basis for the film (Creed) and was not only hammered home in marketing and promotion but is the actual synopsis as well!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 14th, 2017, 11:57 am

Ben wrote:Not really, considering that's the basis for the film (Creed) and was not only hammered home in marketing and promotion but is the actual synopsis as well!
No, meant the "Pixar twist" of
"Did Creed substitute another boxer in the end fight, because he realized there were things more important than mindless competition?"
Or, has C3 not opened over there yet?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2017, 12:09 pm

We get Cars next week, I think, but I'm just waiting for the Blu.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by danieltruchsess » June 18th, 2017, 9:22 pm

I just saw Cars 3 this weekend, and I really liked it! I did like the first Cars, but think the second one was a bit boring (not a fan of Mater). This one, though, it was amazing! I really like it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 21st, 2017, 10:46 pm

A couple of days late but finally here!

http://animatedviews.com/2017/cars-3-film/