Captain Pugwash

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Captain Pugwash

Post by Dacey » May 20th, 2017, 6:33 pm

This is something I assume is better known internationally? Here in the states, "Captain Pugwash" is probably barely known, but I'm going to guess he's more popular in Europe?

http://www.empireonline.com/people/nick ... n-pugwash/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Captain Pugwash

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Pugwash was massive here in the UK back when I was a kid, so we're talking a good few decades ago now! ;)

It's the 1970s cartoon version that's mentioned in the story (and which the image comes from) that's the one I'm talking about, and the one most people of a certain age will remember, as well as the jaunty sea shanty theme tune!

Over the years since the Cap hasn't been on screens, several jokes and rumours went around about some of the crew names being much more risqué than they actually were: jokes about Roger the Cabin Boy, Master Bates and Seaman Staines abounded, but I hope this goes for a more straight version and doesn't have any of those nods and winks in it.

The 70s cartoon ran every night and was around five minutes each episode, in that magic time when we got Paddington Bear, The Magic Roundabout, Ivor The Engine, and any number of hand-animated, stop-motion and cutout (as Pugwash was) shorts from the likes of Small Films, Oliver Postgate and early Aardman (including Morph) that remain fond memories for a generation or two of British kids.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 20th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Wow, I had no idea Paddington was that old. I know him from Lunch Box, which was a Disney Channel show which had other "short" programs in it, including Spot and stuff of the like.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 20th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Dacey wrote:Wow, I had no idea Paddington was that old. I know him from Lunch Box, which was a Disney Channel show which had other "short" programs in it, including Spot and stuff of the like.
The early-early "pinball" days of Nickelodeon had "Pinwheel", which filled out its endless low-rent-Sesame afternoon with loads of British 70's short-animation filler (Ludwig, Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, etc.)--
That's pretty much what I remembered Pugwash and Magic Roundabout from, although the stop-motion Paddington had his own spot on the Disney Channel. It installed in me very early on the notion that....British kids' animation is weird. :? Except for Danger Mouse.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 21st, 2017, 6:11 pm

But better craftsmanship and more varied than old preschool animation from the US!