War of the Worlds

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2005, 6:38 pm

Digital Theater Sound.

It's the sound format company that Spielbergo has a stake in (hence why it debuted with Jurassic Park and is featured on most of the director's DVD releases).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 16th, 2005, 4:08 pm

Thanks!

I remember when I first saw Jurassic Park, the opening scene with the raptor attack was SO loud... :roll:

I thought I might go deaf or something. j/k :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2005, 7:57 am

Yep.

I remember that. A friend of mine I went to see it with was not impressed at the low level of the trailers. After the screaming DTS logo flew on and that first scene I turned to him and asked "is THAT loud enough for you?" :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

War of the Worlds DVD

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2005, 4:29 pm

It's coming out in a few days. Post comments here! :)

I can't wait to hear what the sound is like, and will DEFINTELY get the widescreen version. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2005, 4:34 pm

Amazing disc.

Picked up the LE 2-disc last week and the featurettes are very in depth. A good disc all around, and the DTS track actually shuddered my room when the Tripods did their digeredoo thing...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Not to get off topic but wasn't there a sci-fi movie called Tripods at one time? :?:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 17th, 2005, 8:37 pm

I was really waffling on whether or not to pick this up (in an already crowded month), but eventually decided that I just didn't enjoy the film as much as I'd hoped when I saw it in the theater--- so no sale for me on the DVD. The extras on the 2-discer sound nice, though.

Of course, I may yet change my mind if I hear enough enthusiasm from others...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2005, 9:05 pm

I kind of hoped it would be a little scarier than it turned out to be. Don't get me wrong, some parts were pretty scary. But not "jump-out-of-your-seat-screaming" scary like Jurassic Park was (or even The Lost World's T-Rex-trailer-tipping-over sequence.)

Still, it's definetely a great movie. :D

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 18th, 2005, 1:48 am

The only War of the Worlds disc I'm getting is the new edition of the 1953 George Pal film.

I HATED Steven Spielberg's version. Most depressing film I've seen of the past year.

And I officially vow to never watch another Tom Cruise film again, period...

... Unless he's being made fun of.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2005, 10:08 am

Hey George - the '53 version disc SE is fab.

Joe Dante's commentary as a fan is much fun, as are Gene Barry and Ann Robinson's memories in the doc and on a separate commentary track - very sweet to hear after all these years and, while neither one have lost the plot, Robinson is a little more with it and razor sharp on the details.

Plus - as I'm sure you know - a FANTASTIC new transfer, Orson Wells 1938 radio broadcast in its entirety and in the best sound I have heard on this, plus a newly discovered stereo mix for the film that sounds wonderful.

Not as packed, perhaps, as a WB catalog title, but Paramount should be recognised for this great little disc. The only thing is the unispired packaging - did you see what we get in the UK? Wow!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2005, 7:55 pm

I HATED Steven Spielberg's version
How come? :?:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 23rd, 2005, 11:22 pm

Oh my G-d when those Tripods came out of the water....THAT was some scary stuff. :shock: :!:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2005, 11:51 pm

The sound on the WOTW DVD was awesome.

I really think this movie should get a Best Pic nom! And a Best Supporting for Dakota. :wink:

BTW, for those who do want to bash this: how come the aliens were unaffected when they FIRST came down??
That's easy...the germs hadn't quite invaded their systems yet. Like in E.T., ET doesn't get sick till halfway through the movie because his immune system can't tolerate Earth's environment.