Isle of Dogs

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Isle of Dogs

Post by Dacey » September 21st, 2017, 2:43 pm

The new trailer for Isle of Dogs has dropped online, and it looks appropriately bizarre:

http://animatedviews.com/2017/the-first ... s-is-here/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Isle of Dogs

Post by LotsoA113 » September 21st, 2017, 6:17 pm

This is peak Wes Anderson and I kind of love it. Bryan Cranston has a voice born for animated voice work
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 21st, 2017, 6:27 pm

He was terrific in Kung Fu Panda 3 as Po's dad. But Cranston's probably great in pretty much anything.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2017, 7:56 pm

Bizarre, beautiful, brilliant and epic...this looks awesome! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 13th, 2018, 1:13 am

Box Office Mojo no longer has Isle of Dogs listed as a wide release, claiming its opening on a "limited" number of screens on their release schedule.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2018, 8:34 am

It’s certainly more of an art-house type of movie, as most of Anderson's films ultimately are. I would say, though, that I guess he’s just turned in his final cut and Fox have finally realised what they have.

If they can’t sell it as a Kubo kind of film, then I’m guessing that they think the best bet is to open limited and maybe expand later, although I’d bet it just stays a limited release (you’d expect them to pull the going wider truck if this was closer to awards season and they were hoping for that kind of recognition).

Looks, ultimately, like Fox just lost hope in the project, although their strategy of playing it as a "specialty release" might work out in the end. I hope its audience finds it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 13th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Ben wrote:If they can’t sell it as a Kubo kind of film, then I’m guessing that they think the best bet is to open limited and maybe expand later, although I’d bet it just stays a limited release (you’d expect them to pull the going wider truck if this was closer to awards season and they were hoping for that kind of recognition).
Looks, ultimately, like Fox just lost hope in the project, although their strategy of playing it as a "specialty release" might work out in the end. I hope its audience finds it.
I'm guessing they DID try to sell it as a post-Little Prince "Everything is classic in stop-motion!" Laika-clone on the strength of Kubo, thinking that Wes + stop-motion = "Fantastic Mr. Fox".
(Seeing as most of the Fox reviews were "What a wonderful, creative stop-motion piece!")

And as those who sat through Mr. Fox could have warned them before they got a look at it, it does. :?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 13th, 2018, 7:48 pm

So...you're saying that Fox Searchlight--who distributed both films--didn't "sit through" Fantastic Mr. Fox before greenlighting another film from the same director?

They liked Mr. Fox. If they hadn't, there would be no Dogs.

(Also, a "93%" rating on RT would suggest that at least some of us enjoyed it ;) :) )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2018, 6:35 am

It was a BAF nomination, too.

The bottom line is that Fox thought they were getting another Mr Fox (which played more widely since it had Dahl's name and known story attached), whereas what Wes has delivered is something much more Wes like. Like Budapest Hotel, though, it’ll make its money back and maybe a bit more. You either like Anderson's films or you don’t. I do, and I think this looks great. It’s just clear that Fox, having seen a final cut, have decided it’s probably more niche and in line with his live-action output than what he did with Mr Fox, where the established story couldn’t be played with too much.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 14th, 2018, 7:08 pm

I remember seeing Mr. Fox with a local afternoon matinee of parents with kids who'd read the book, thinking they were going to see some Henry Selick-like adaptation of Dahl that would be slightly better than James & the Giant Peach.
I would say "Guess what happened when parents and 5-yo.'s were exposed to Wes Anderson... :shock: ", except that the littler kids did at least giggle every time the possum's eyes glazed over. They had to get some entertainment out of it.

But yes, suitably warned about why "You can dress Wes up in animation, but you can't take him out in wide release", looks like Searchlight couldn't be fooled twice.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 19th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Now BOM is saying that Isle of Dogs will open on...27 screens.

That...hurts.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 20th, 2018, 6:54 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 20th, 2018, 2:18 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 22nd, 2018, 8:32 pm

And, if you need the chance to catch up on Wes's previous quirky, critically-acclaimed entries: :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 24th, 2018, 1:19 am

I liked it. A lot! :)

It's very much a Kubo kind of film; if you enjoyed one, you'd probably love both.

The main characters are well-realized, and the story unfolds in a gradual but nicely-paced modern retelling of the legend which opens the film (with several fun surprise plot twists along the way). The stark design of the characters & environments are an excellent fit for the story .. but may prove a bit too scary at times, for very young kids.

It's definitely worth seeking out, if it's playing near you.