Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Post by ShyViolet » April 20th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Really excited about it! :) Loved the first one, although I wish James Franco would be in this one too.

I think it looks awesome. Other than DOFP it's my most anticipated film this summer.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Post by Randall » April 20th, 2014, 3:35 pm

This does not need Franco. His character got things in motion, but now he needs to fade into history.

If this is as great as the first one, I'll certainly be happy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2014, 4:05 pm

Very short Instagram teaser, full trailer to be released next week:

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/r ... er-1984208

Looks cool! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 8th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Full trailer:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2014, 7:57 am

In a way I'm much more stoked about this than X-Men, although I must admit that the CG still looks rubbery (something I felt with all the ads for the first one before I saw the film itself...somehow it seems to work in the right context), and Gary Oldman does seem to be turning up for the paychecks these days, playing the same old kind of characters with the same old kind of look.

However, this looks to have a bit more interesting things going on with it than X-Men, which will be eye candy and hopefully rejuvenate that property as reviews suggest, even if it is the seventh film in an ongoing series (at least not as tired as Spidey is after three or four recent films).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 19th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Loved the final trailer, although I can't help but wonder how they're going to deal with the ending since we all already know that the Apes are going to win. But still very excited. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 20th, 2014, 4:35 pm

Randall wrote:This does not need Franco. His character got things in motion, but now he needs to fade into history.
Actually I think originally he was supposed to die at the end of the first one. There's a small flashback clip of him in Dawn, I think (on a video screen). Hope there's references to him because like you said he was the one who got everything in motion. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2014, 4:33 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 9th, 2014, 10:28 am

Wow up to 96 percent! Can't wait to see this one! :)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/mobile/m/ ... _the_apes/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 24th, 2014, 10:36 pm

Saw this today. And seriously, EVERYONE who considers themselves a fan of animation MUST give this one a look.

There were so many moments in this movie where they just looked so freaking real. Like, seriously, me wanting to cry because they looked so real. Moments that stood out were a birth scene, a bit where Koba is wounded and bleeding on the floor, and Caesar laying on a couch where you just felt like you could touch them. It was breathtaking.

And seriously, the way Caesar is animated in the movie is mind-blowing. They captured Andy Serkis so well here that at some points it literally almost looks just like him but with make-up. The way his eyes move is just incredible, and the fact that so many characters look so very alive in this movie...okay, I know I'm gushing by now, but wow.

I know that people like to act like we aren't getting any good movies this summer...but we've seen an excellent Godzilla reboot, a truly moving How to Train Your Dragon sequel, and now this. I'd say we're doing pretty good.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 25th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Cool! :) Will be seeing this next week. So stoked! Thanks for the review.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 25th, 2014, 10:50 pm

I'm just worried that I've maybe over-hyped it a bit. But I don't think I have. From a visual effects standpoint, what they've accomplished here is truly a marvel.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 26th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Is it good storywise? (action, drama, etc...) :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 26th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Yes. There's not much action compared to other summer movies, though (only two major set pieces). But it's so involving that you don't really mind.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 2nd, 2014, 1:45 pm

Stunning, stunning film, and the end was just so powerful. Like you said, Dacey, it's so completely involving that sometimes I barely realized I was watching a movie--even though so much of it was (excellent) CGI. Loved the relationship between Caesar and Koba.

My only problem is that I thought the humans were somewhat dull characters (except maybe for the leading man) and that the apes were about ten thousand times more interesting. But that's just a minor quibble. It definitely is "The Dark Knight" to the first Ape film (much as I liked that one).