Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 31st, 2006, 11:41 am

I don't find it ironic or disturbing...

Wallace and Gromit is gonna win, hands down. Not sure about the shorts, I haven't seen any of them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 31st, 2006, 12:45 pm

I saw a poster on another animation board joke that this showed that CGI was dead, and it was time to retool for stop motion and traditional!

The Academy nominates films, not techniques!

Congratulations to the nominees! Some great, great work in all of those films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Oscar Nominations: CGI Shutout

Post by Sullivan » January 31st, 2006, 12:55 pm

Brandon Neeld wrote: The fact that Pixar (the one company who did't release a Full Length Animated Feature this year) walked away with the only CGI nomination for the short One Man Band.
No.

The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello and 9 are also CG.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2006, 2:48 pm

You know what's stupid?

No nomination for "A Christmas Caper".

This is all part of some whacked-out conspiracy.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 31st, 2006, 3:58 pm

I think Chicken Little deserved a nomination above all the other 3. But at the end of the day, Chicken Little is still the real winner of the 4. Nominations or not, it has a worldwide total of $252m ($134m coming from America). W&G and Corpse each got about $55m here & Howl's Moving Castle was only able to scrape up $5m (and the only reason it got $190m in japan is because it's a Miyazaki film). And on a personal note, the only one of these I saw in theaters was W&G and I thought it stunk.

I also think Narnia deserved nominations for Best Score & Song. (And just by a show of hands, who here has even heard of the nominated songs?)

The Academy is so out of touch with the movie goers. Just look at the nominations. The only huge films nominated were Batman (1), Potter (1), Kong (4), Charlie & the Chocalate Factory (1), Star Wars (1), Narnia (3) & WotW (3), and they were all for small technical categories (art direction, sound, etc). Past that, only one film grossed over $100m (Walk the Line). And with the exception of the single documentary award for March of the Penguins, all the nominees grossed less than $62m (including all the nominees for Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actors & Screenplays).
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2006, 4:05 pm

Speaking of Best Song, since when are there only three nominations in that category?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 31st, 2006, 4:31 pm

Maybe it's based on how many songs are elegible to be nominated (like how the animation category is). But for the past 4 years, there have been 5 nominees.
-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 31st, 2006, 4:56 pm

askmike1 wrote:I think Chicken Little deserved a nomination above all the other 3. But at the end of the day, Chicken Little is still the real winner of the 4. Nominations or not, it has a worldwide total of $252m ($134m coming from America). W&G and Corpse each got about $55m here & Howl's Moving Castle was only able to scrape up $5m
Based on that, wouldn't the real winner be Madagascar? It's like $400 million worldwide.

My three would have been

Chicken Little
Madagascar
Wallace and Gromit

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 31st, 2006, 5:02 pm

If we're looking at Box Office, Madagscar is the big winner: $527,564,113

Followed by Robots at about $260 million worldwide, but that one is soon toast as Chicken Little is still rolling out internationally and is already at $250 million. Either way, Madagscar is the big animated moneymaker of 2005.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2006, 5:13 pm

askmike1 wrote:Maybe it's based on how many songs are elegible to be nominated (like how the animation category is). But for the past 4 years, there have been 5 nominees.
More than 40 songs were submitted. If that's not enough, I don't know what is.

Further more, for as long as I can remember, five songs have been nominated each year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2006, 5:21 pm

You know what's stupid?

No nomination for "A Christmas Caper".

This is all part of some whacked-out conspiracy.
I totally agree. This bites big time. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 31st, 2006, 5:28 pm

Sullivan wrote:Based on that, wouldn't the real winner be Madagascar? It's like $400 million worldwide.
That's why I said "of the 4."
More than 40 songs were submitted. If that's not enough, I don't know what is.
Well in that case, the Academy is just being downright dumb. :) You'd think that they'd want to nominate better known songs (or at least songs with better known singers) to help the ratings.
-Michael

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2006, 5:31 pm

No one posted a link to the nominations, so:

http://oscar.com/nominees/list.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 31st, 2006, 5:36 pm

The list is linked to on our story.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 31st, 2006, 5:37 pm

Here is the rule concerning songs:
In the Original Song category, Music Branch members shall meet to screen clips of the eligible songs and vote on the achievements. Following the screening of the clips, voting shall be conducted as follows:

Nominations will be determined by an averaged point system of voting using 10, 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7, 6.5 or 6. Only those songs receiving an average score of 8.25 or more shall be eligible for nomination. There may not be more than five nor fewer than three nominations.

If there are 25 or fewer qualified works submitted in any category, the Executive Committee may recommend to the Board of Governors that nominations be limited to three. If there are nine or fewer qualifying works submitted in any category, the Executive Committee may recommend to the Board of Governors that no award be given in that category for the current year.