My predictions thus far:

Best Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line

Best Effects, Visual Effects
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe
King Kong
War of the Worlds

*It could slightly edge out Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith, due to Sith's reliance on CGI a bit too much.

Best Documentary, Features
March of the Penguins

Best Animated Feature
Chicken Little*
Corpse Bride*
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit*

*None of these films may be safe, as Madagascar could very well 'pull a Shark Tale' and get nominated, due to its popularity.

I also expect The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe and King Kong to sweep a number of technical award nominations.

Meanwhile, I have a feeling that Cinderella Man will travel the way of The Road to Perdition, getting high marks from critics and little from the Academy.

Here are some other films that Oscar may favor: Elizabethtown, Jarhead, Memoirs of a Geisha, Munich, The Producers: The Movie Musical, and Rent.
Last edited by Josh on October 5th, 2005, 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » September 2nd, 2005, 12:00 am

Yeah definitely Cinderella Man for Best Picture and Best Director. Look for Mr. & Mrs. Smith to also sneak in for Best Picture and Best original Screenplay.

Song will include So Long and Thanks for All the Fish from Hitchhiker's Guide along with at least 1 CATCF song.

Actor will include Russel Crowe and probably Depp having earned it now. Look for Brad Pitt and Adam Sandler as long shots in the category. Actress will include Angelina Jolie, Jodie Foster, and Rene Zelweger.

Supporting Actor will include Reynolds for either Longest Yard or Dukes as well as Michael Caine for Batman Begins (this is my underdog bet). Cuba could also be in line for Longest Yard. Supporting Actress is a real tossup however.

Narnia, Star Wars, and War of the Worlds will Duke it out in the tech categories. Look for Narnia to come away with most unless Starwars gets a number of homage votes.

In another outside shot look for Four Brothers to make out in the Score Category as well as Giaccino having an outside chance for a nomination with Sky High after being shunned for The Incredibles last year.

Penguins wins documentary hands down unless they make a stupid Michael Moore move and make a run (and fail) for Best Picture.

Producers and Rent will effectively cancel each other out except for possibly Best Adapted Screenplay since along with Charley - the pickin's are slim this year.

And now to the most important categories...

Best Animated Feature will be Madagascar (popularity) and Chicken Little (It's Disney) - probably Robots as a nod to smaller studios since it and Vanguard's Valiant had unusual above average performances for company size. Wallace and Grommit and Corpse Bride will round out (assuming there are 5) unless they dont want two stop animateds in which case look for the CB snub (Burton's got Charley) and see Howl take it's place with a deserved nomination. Regardless - watch the Traditionally animateds *coughPoohcough* get deservingly snubbed.

Also - not 100% sure about eligability here but if it is (and I think it is) look for Jack-Jack Attack to score in Animated Short.

Whew! That's all for now. :D
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » September 2nd, 2005, 7:59 am

For Best Animated Feature my bet goes for Corpse Bride or Howl Oving Castle.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 2nd, 2005, 1:44 pm

Michael Caine for Batman Begins
How about Morgan Freeman?

Also, you think Ewan McGregor might actually get some recognition for Sith? Maybe....?

Best makeup--Definetely Sith, in my humble opinion.

CATCF, definetely for production design. Costumes too.

Also I have a feeling Spielberg might pull a sweep with Munich. It's very timely since it deals with reactions to terrorism, and I think he's best with either very dramatic films and intense/special effects films. "Light" movies with comedy and romance (CMIYC and Terminal) haven't really scored much as far as Oscar goes. Ditto "artistic" ones like AI.

(....thus maybe he'll have another Jurassic Park/Schindler's List thing going this year where one film is a great blockbuster and the other is a huge, respected Oscar winner.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 2nd, 2005, 4:15 pm

Most unnecessary cameo: Chewbacca in Revenge of the Sith.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 2nd, 2005, 10:58 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Most unnecessary cameo: Chewbacca in Revenge of the Sith.
LOL.

Well, I think King Kong will probably win best effects. And for animation, Corpse Bride or Howl's Castle.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 3rd, 2005, 4:33 pm

Well, I think King Kong will probably win best effects.
Oh that's right King Kong I forgot all about it. :oops:

And for animation, Corpse Bride or Howl's Castle
I'm not too sure about CB, it's kind of too "icky" for the Academy. Plus Burton might win more stuff for Charlie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 3rd, 2005, 4:57 pm

ShyViolet wrote: I'm not too sure about CB, it's kind of too "icky" for the Academy. Plus Burton might win more stuff for Charlie.
Well, it's kind of hard to say...I mean, the animated films this year haven't been that magnificent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 3rd, 2005, 4:59 pm

True plus there's no Pixar in the running. They might want to give it to CL so they can FINALLY say Disney proper won Best Animated Feature.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 4th, 2005, 8:41 pm

ShyViolet wrote:True plus there's no Pixar in the running. They might want to give it to CL so they can FINALLY say Disney proper won Best Animated Feature.
Maybe they'll judge the films on how good they are, and not who made them?....Hopefully?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » September 5th, 2005, 3:37 am

so we've got:

Robots
Madagascar
Howl's Moving Castle
Valiant
A Corpse Bride
Wallace & Grommit
Chicken Little

I can't think of any other animated films, so most likely not enough to get 5 nominations in. Right now I'm gonna say Wallace & Grommit or Chicken Little, since 70% of the winning movies at the oscars are movies that were recently released.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 5th, 2005, 1:16 pm

Hm. I think I'll guess that Corpse Bride, Wallace & Grommit and Chicken Little will be nominated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » September 5th, 2005, 1:33 pm

Don't forget Pooh's Heffalump Movie :roll:
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 6th, 2005, 6:55 am

Though I didn't like it, I wouldn't be surprised if Robots didn't get a nom.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Eisner's gone

Post by ShyViolet » September 30th, 2005, 5:12 pm

In a way I'm glad he's gone because they needed a change, but I'm still kind of sorry because he did do a lot of great things for the company.
Now the last of the '84 Eisner-Katzenberg-Wells team has departed. So what will that mean for the company?

And one thing I don't get:

Roy is supposadly a "consultant" now, but Eisner said he might stay on as a "consultant" as well....so which consultant has more power? :?: :?:
Last edited by ShyViolet on September 30th, 2005, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.