AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2006, 8:08 am

I hope. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 25th, 2006, 10:58 am

:lol:

I think it's about a penguin who's punished because he can't sing. But he's one heck of a dancer!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 25th, 2006, 11:49 am

It kinda sounds like Trumpet of the Swan. (I didn't see the cartoon movie, but I read the book by EB White.) :wink: :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 25th, 2006, 7:07 pm

The Pebble And The Penguin.
I could be wrong, but didn't Don Bluth disown this film or something? Wow, then it must have been REALLY bad!

(J/K--I love Don! :wink: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2006, 9:18 am

He had it taken out of his hands and completed by the investors. It wasn't a long drawn out thing like The Thief, but Don did ask to have his name removed as it was no longer "his" film. Naturally the investors recognised the value in having his name on the poster and declined to remove it, hence Don not personally counting it among his films.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 26th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Wasn't that movie also a complete box office disaster?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 26th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Oh yeah. It wasn't even on the radar....it disappeared VERY quickly.

But I would like to see it someday, just to say I did! :)

There was a funny reference to one of Bluth's other movies, A Troll in Central Park, in an SNL sketch satirizing Inside the Actors Studio.

James Lipton/Will Ferrell is interviewing some obscure actor who is supposadly a "star". One of his roles was a voice-over in ATICP. James Lipton comments on it, saying that watching Troll: "...is like looking into the face of G-d!" Ha ha. :lol:

Disowning movies is rare but it does happen. I'm pretty sure Lucas disowned Howard the Duck? (Poor Leah Thompson)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2006, 1:46 am

Also about Cars: I just want to stress again that one reason that it might not have done all that well internationally is because the U.S. automobile subculture is very uniquely American.

For example, I don't know how this film did in Israel. (it could have done very well for all I know) but I'll just say that in Israel the culture of "cars" and "drivers" is about as far from anything Pixar as you can get. :roll: Drivers are crazy there and do whatever they want. People yell at each other on the road all the time. Fights get started occasionally. There's nothing "sweet" about driving in Israel, quite the opposite! :)

Oh BTW speaking of Israel, here's something on an Israeli Pixar employee who went back there and started his own animaton studio! :wink: :)

http://www.3dm3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4950

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 27th, 2006, 8:02 am

So in other words, Pixar didn't let foreign box office considerations effect their storytelling. Once again, something refreshing from a movie studio.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2006, 4:37 pm

I don't think they liked it too much in England either.

And if this review is any indication, it looks like "Open Season" has a good shot at a nomination:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=16685

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2006, 5:48 pm

I thought Cars did okay over here (not that I saw it!)?

I must say that I am LOVING "The Wild". What an amazing movie - actually naturally funny instead of full of forced one-liners - and some frankly stunning animation.

I can't see how it didn't do better, even with the Mouse's last-minute dumping of it in theaters with the totally wrong ad campaign.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Ben, I didn't know that you'd like "The Wild". I'm a little surprised.

The only thing that I really liked in that movie was Nigel. Okay, the wildebeasts were also pretty cool. Then again, I had to go to the bathroom for the entire film, so maybe I should give it another shot.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Well, it stuck me outta nowhere. I wasn't sure what to expect.

The opening grabbed me - great sound! Not so crazy on the way the visuals were rendered but CORE didn't do that work. It works when you know it's a story being told.

And then something struck me: they're selling little Nigel Koala toys at the zoo at the beginning and it hit me...don't look at this as if it's photoreal. When I started thinking about it as if these were furry animals come to life it all worked so much better for me, and THEN the animation REALLY started coming alive. The way the lion's feet touch the ground and make contact is great.

The script works...it's not just characters shouting insults back at one another. There's real humor. And it's FUNNY. It's still character-led, but the characters are FUNNY critters and you want to be with them.

I'me certainly enjoying it more than Madagascar,, which had about three good ideas and either ran them into the ground or just kept repeating them. The Wild feels fresh and is certainly more rewatchable.

I'm perhaps as surprised as you are, but that hasn't taken away the enjoyment of what I am seriously considering to be one of the top 5 really, really good CG pictures.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2006, 6:32 pm

What are the deleted scenes on the disc like?

I thought Cars did okay over here (not that I saw it!)?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't, but I'm probably wrong and thinking of something else. My memory has a way of playing tricks on me.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 27th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that it didn't...
Probably a Jim Hill article. :wink: