Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Jim just said that it did pretty well in America, but not that great overseas, altogether. I think maybe because Ben posted that British review from The Guardian which was quite negative--that might have made you think that Cars didn't do well in England, although it most likely did. :wink:
So in other words, Pixar didn't let foreign box office considerations effect their storytelling. Once again, something refreshing from a movie studio.
I'm not sure I feel that way. :roll: They don't have to purposely mess up their stories to please other countries, but if they're only going to do stuff which is suited to an American mileu, than that is going to affect their repuation as creating "timeless" and "universal" stories.

Usually, this isn't that big of a problem, since there are plenty of animated films where pop-culture gags are dubbed and altered for other countries. But with a film like Cars, it's all about the Cars, nothing else. :roll:

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 27th, 2006, 9:15 pm

I was just joking about the Jim Hill comment, Vi. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2006, 9:17 pm

I can't see how it didn't do better
Maybe it was those "Disney is going down the tubes, DW ripped this off*, and only Pixar is worthy of your attention" reviews by so-called "critics."

*they didn't! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2006, 9:19 pm

I was just joking about the Jim Hill comment, Vi.
Oops! :oops: Well I thought he should get some support these days, especially since his site has picked up a lot since last summer. :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 27th, 2006, 9:21 pm

No problem. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 28th, 2006, 9:25 am

ShyViolet wrote:They don't have to purposely mess up their stories to please other countries...
Well, they DID change the American flag and music for the international release of Toy Story 2.

I've seen both versions and actually think the "world" version works better. Although it's set in the US and Buzz is presumably an American toy, he was probably assembled in Taiwan and toys are international. What he says in that scene works funnier in the world version since he's surrounded by flags from all around the globe instead of just the American one, which is a bit of a cliche and used many times over in other films.

The international bit opens it up more and actually makes his words funnier, and mean something more.

AV Team
AV Team

Oscar Race 2006

Post by Dacey » October 24th, 2006, 6:38 pm

It's that time of year. The time when movie studios release the films they hope will be major awards contenders. So far, there have been a lot of hopefuls whose chances have virtually been flushed done the toilet. Among them:

"Hollywoodland": A decent film, sure, but not nearly as provocitive as it thinks it is. Ben Affleck could get an Oscar nomination (I can't believe I actually typed those words!) for his performance as George Reeves, though.

"The Black Dahlia": All chances went ka-put as soon as this film was released. Mind you, I didn't see it, but the reviews were pretty bad.

"All the King's Men": Possibly the most disappionting of the year. The film, despite some strong moments, seems to want to win Oscars so badly it stinks. And Sean Penn's performance was often overdone. Not "Bad", really, but the more I think about this film, the more I dislike it.

The only films to come out so far this fall that have real chances, I think, are "The Departed" (great reviews and box office), "Flags of Our Fathers" (Clint Eastwood, people) and "The Queen" (an unexpected critical darling). And I haven't seen any of those films yet.

Anyone else have any thoughts/predictions? :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » October 24th, 2006, 7:39 pm

I saw the Queen last week and the actress was incredible. She desserves the Best Actress Award!
Planning to see Flags of our Feathers tommorow but today I saw the most amazing film of this year: CHILDREN OF MEN released next week in France. Did you see it guys? It's a scary realistic description of what could happen in the near future, starring Clive Owen and directed by Alfonso Cuaron (Harry Potter 3).
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 24th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Anyone else have any thoughts/predictions? Very Happy
How about The Prestige? (That other Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale flick)

Ben Affleck could get an Oscar nomination (I can't believe I actually typed those words!) for his performance as George Reeves, though.
Ha ha. :) But he actually has won an Oscar before (for the screenplay to Good Will Hunting) Yes, he wrote that. So it's not entirely out of the question.
:wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 24th, 2006, 9:46 pm

I'm hoping United 93 is honored with some nominations.

As for visual effects, I figure Dead Man's Chest already has that Oscar in the bag.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 24th, 2006, 9:53 pm

Do you guys think Johnny might score another Jack Sparrow nom? (personally I kind doubt it, but you never know.)

Also, how about World Trade Center--any noms for Oliver Stone or Nicholas Cage? It would be so weird of WTC went head-to-head with United 93...

It would be even weirder (but of course it couldn't really happen, but IF) Ben Affleck got a nom for HollywoodLand, and Brandon Routh for Superman Returns!

Best (or worst, depending on your opinon) overacting: Kevin Spacey in Superman Returns. :P

Best (or worst, depending on your opinon) overacting: Ian Mckellan in X3: X-Men United.

:wink: :roll:

Humanitarian Award: Halle Berry, if she refuses to do any more X-Men films! :P :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 25th, 2006, 11:01 am

Actually, I think that Ian McKellan could get a Supporting Actor nom for his performance in "The Da Vinci Code". Even critics who hated that film agreed that he was very entertaining.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 25th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Actually, I think that Ian McKellan could get a Supporting Actor nom for his performance in "The Da Vinci Code". Even critics who hated that film agreed that he was very entertaining.

I loved Ian too! :wink: When I saw the film in a screening here, everyone was SO bored and confused up until he showed up. But the film got much, much better when Ian's character was introduced. Everything he did and said was awesome and some stuff was hilarious, people laughed at almost everything he did. :) He was a nice foil to Tom Hanks' dead-man-walking approach to...whoever that professor with the weird hair was supposed to be.

Tom's best scenes were when arguing with Ian...both actors just light up in those sequences. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » October 26th, 2006, 6:36 am

Ian McKellen was entertainin but his role is FAR from an Oscar nom. I can think of so many other films with strong male characters who can apply for a nom before the Da Vinci Code's cast.
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 26th, 2006, 4:26 pm

I hope the Ice Age 2 soundtrack gets a nom.