Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 19th, 2008, 11:24 am

Stubbs WAS Audrey II, still the voice that absolutely <I>nailed</I> that character, polishing what had been done on Broadway and far surpassing efforts that have come since, all of which seem to be trying to play <I>him</I> instead of being their own Audrey II.

RIP Levi...apart from being fondly remembered as a man eating plant, you provided us with many other great musical memories.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 19th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Ah,

Another MoTown enthusiast?

I LIKE that era of music in the 1960s and 1970s but still don't own a lot of it.

Everybody over 30 has heard most of that music in the background of movies and on classic oldies radio stations.

But Audrey II is what I remember Stubbs for most...

Heck, even before I heard the official obituary news I'd taken the Little Shop of Horrors Soundtrack CD and put it into iTunes!

The Alien Flytrap has sung its final note. :cry:

GeorgeC

RIP, Dolemite

Post by GeorgeC » October 21st, 2008, 10:07 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

Another cultural icon has passed.

Good or bad, satirized on MadTV and in other venues, he was an American original.

Lift up your pimpsticks and salute Dolemite! 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

RIP Ray Ellis (aka Yvette Blais)

Post by William » November 1st, 2008, 12:44 pm

Ray Ellis, who wrote scores for animated series produced by Filmation Studios under the pseudonym Yvette Blais, died on October 27th, 2008 from complications of melanoma. He was 85.

Filmation shows Ellis/Blais wrote for include "The Archie Show," "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids," "Lassie's Rescue Rangers," "The Brady Kids," "My Favorite Martians," "Shazam!," "The New Adventures of Gilligan," "The Ghost Busters," "Ark II," "The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse," "The New Animated Adventures of Flash Gordon," "The New Adventures of Tom and Jerry" and "Star Trek: The Animated Series."

Ellis also co-wrote the score for the 2002 animated film "Adam Sandler's 'Eight Crazy Nights.'"

In addition to his animated works, Ellis also arranged such classic songs as "Splish Splash" by Bobby Darin, "Chances Are" by Johnny Mathis, "Standing on the Corner" by the Four Lads, "Under the Boardwalk" by The Drifters and "Spanish Harlem" by Ben E. King.

In addition to that, Ellis also wrote themes for NBC's "Today Show," the 1967 "Spider-man" animated series, and (along with son Marc Ellis) the themes for the 1980s television game shows "Scrabble" and "Sale of the Century."

Obituary: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... e754858432

Memory Alpha (Star Trek wiki) file:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Yvette_Blais

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

In Memoriam: JOHN AHERN (1933-2008)

Post by AH3RD » November 2nd, 2008, 10:19 am

Courtesy of The Big Cartoon Forum:

Animator, director and producer John Ahern, winner of a 1988 Daytime Emmy Award for Muppet Babies, died Wednesday at 74.

He and his wife Shirley left California for Spanish Fork, Utah after he retired from the Motion Picture Screen Cartoonist Union in 1999.

As a producer, Ahern shared an Emmy with executive producer Jim Henson and others for Muppet Babies, which was named Outstanding Animated Program.

He was born John Crosbie Ahern on December 6, 1933 to John Hannibal (Jack H.) and Evelyn Leone Crosbie Ahern in Los Angeles. His father was a well-known set decorator who worked on projects ranging from TV's The Monkees to the live-action Disney classic 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

He attended Brigham Young University, Santa Monica City College and Pasadena Art Center.

Ahern produced 55 episodes of G.I. Joe (1985) and four episodes of Defenders of the Earth (1986).

He was a layout artist for the TV series The Adventures of Gulliver, Cattanooga Cats, Josie and the Pussycats, The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show, The New Scooby-Doo Movies, Speed Buggy, The New Tom & Jerry Show, The Mumbly Cartoon Show and BraveStarr, as well as the 1994 mini-series Red Planet, the 1974 ABC Afterschool Special Cyrano and the 1980 ABC Weekend Special Scruffy.

In theatrical films, he was a layout artist for Charlotte's Web (1973) and BraveStarr: The Legend (1988). He was an animator for the 1978 anime film Winds of Change (aka Metamorphoses).

As a layout supervisor, he worked on the TV series C B Bears, The All-New Super Friends Hour, Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics, Challenge of the SuperFriends, Yogi's Space Race, The Godzilla Power Hour, Buford and the Galloping Ghost, Thundarr the Barbarian, Goldie Gold and Action Jack and Peter Pan and the Pirates.

He was a layout supervisor for the TV specials Davy Crockett on the Mississippi (1976), A Flintstone Christmas (1977) and Beauty and the Beast (1983), as well as 1990's Jetsons: The Movie.

Ahern was an animation supervisor for The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour, Dungeons & Dragons and The Gummi Bears, along with the 1984 My Little Pony TV special.

As a storyboard artist, he worked on the series Dungeons & Dragons, Bionic Six, Sylvanian Families, X-Men and Spider-Man. He was also a storyboard editor for Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch, and story director for Speed Buggy and Rubik, the Amazing Cube.

Ahern was a production manager for the ABC Weekend Specials The Incredible Detectives, The Trouble with Miss Switch and Scruffy, in addition to the series The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show.

He was a timing director and sheet timer for the 2000 TV series Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, and a model design supervisor for the 1985 TV-movie My Little Pony: Escape from Catrina.

Ahern was an associate professor at BYU for the Fine Arts Department in Animation. In 1963, he married Shirley Lynn Arnold in the Salt Lake Temple.

He was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in which he served in many capacities throughout his life.

In his spare time, he enjoyed photography, motorcross, cycling, skiing, mountain climbing, camping, and backpacking.

John Ahern is survived by wife Shirley; son Scott Arnold Ahern of Provo, Utah; daughters Jodi Lyn Bradley of Wellington, Utah, Kimberly Marie Ahern of Simi Valley, California and Kelly Rene Ahern of New Market, Alabama; nine grandchildren; and sisters Lynne Engstrom of Northridge, California and Sunny Fletcher of Pelham, New York.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday, November 3 at the Crosswinds 3rd Ward Chapel, 1660 S. 1400 E., Spanish Fork, Utah. Family and friends may attend a viewing at the church from 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. prior to services. Interment will be in the Santaquin Cemetery.

Condolences may be sent to the family at www.walkerfamilymortuary.com.

To absent friends... :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 2nd, 2008, 7:08 pm

Well, that's sad. RIP John. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Michael Crichton dies at 66

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2008, 1:26 pm

The Hollywood Reporter just sent this out:
Michael Crichton -- whose books were made into films including "The Andromeda Strain," "Jurassic Park" and "Twister" -- died Tuesday. He was 66.

The author died "after a courageous and private battle against cancer," according to his Web site.

Despite his illness, a statement on MichaelCrichton.net said Crichton died "unexpectedly" in Los Angeles.

The "in memoriam" posting added: "While the world knew him as a great storyteller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us -- and entertained us all while doing so -- his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes. He did this with a wry sense of humor that those who were privileged to know him personally will never forget.

"Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand.

"He will be profoundly missed by those whose lives he touched, but he leaves behind the greatest gifts of a thirst for knowledge, the desire to understand, and the wisdom to use our minds to better our world.

"Michael's family respectfully asks for privacy during this difficult time. A private funeral service is expected, but no further details will be released to the public."
:shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 5th, 2008, 2:54 pm

"Congo", "Twister", "Jurassic Park", and "Timeline" - I've never read these books but I've seen the films - even if they were poor adaptations, it's apparent this was a creative and intelligent author.

Even to someone my age, 66 seems like a 'young' age to die.

An unfortunate loss of a true innovator - may he rest in peace.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Westworld and The Andromeda Strain...you need to see those too! :)

Congo was a pretty weak book, never read Timeline but thought the film was a fun enough pot boiler. Jurassic, of course, was great and a good translation of the book.

Don't forget Crichton also penned Disclosure (bad) and co-created ER (good, in the first couple of seasons at least).

When he was good, he was very, very good. I'll miss the crazy ideas he would have no doubt bestowed upon us.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 5th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Ahh, such a shame, such a shame. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 5th, 2008, 10:56 pm

Reading back I see how lumping "Jurassic Park" with the other films seemed to insinuate I didn't like JP either. I did. Those other three, however, seemed like watered down versions of something no doubt far more engrossing.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 6th, 2008, 1:08 am

Meg wrote:Ahh, such a shame, such a shame. :(
The shame is that he's one of the last guys that had the power to get something made that was at least a new spin on an old idea...

Unlike the current generation of hacks we have who are currently remaking every 20- and 40-year-old TV show and movie out there!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 14th, 2008, 7:09 pm

I was about to make a topic of this but however Im gonna leave this one. Im kinda sad about this{Dispite it was old news}

I grewed up on charlie brown and of course the loveable and funny snoopy{ :lol: } First we lose Hanna-barbera, then we lose Heath leadger, Bo diddley, and now this happens.... :cry: Why are the good people dying? May this animator rest in peace.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 24th, 2008, 6:40 pm

Cloning, Japanese business practices, sexual harassment, global warming, disease, bestiality, myth ... the guy really knew how to get mainstream culture on edge and involved in touchy topics. He'll be missed.

GeorgeC

Bettie Page in Hospital -- critical condition

Post by GeorgeC » December 6th, 2008, 5:56 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,462924,00.html

Former 1950s pin-up sensation, Bettie Page, suffered a heart attack recently and is in emergency care and critical condition.

Some reports have her in a coma. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD94SVL800

For some time, Ms. Page's health has been declining and one report I've read had her placed in a nursing home recently.

Bettie Page disappeared from modeling in 1957 and became another of those famous "Where Are They Now?" recluses. Ms. Page was rediscovered by intrepid reporters in the early 1990s and has since irregularly appeared in public. Page has preferred audio interviews consenting to very few on-camera interviews and always in dark silhouette. Few photos exist of her as she is today but one was published of her at a Playboy Mansion party some years back.

Page served as the real-life visual model and basis for the character Bettie, girlfriend of The Rocketeer (Cliff Secord) in the comic book series of the same name.

Page was befriended by the late Dave Stevens who arranged for her to receive royalties from published images of her likeness.