Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2009, 3:13 pm

The end of an era and the last member of the Disney family who had any say in day-to-day activities of the company his father and uncle founded...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by William » December 16th, 2009, 3:39 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 16th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Wow. I didn't know he was allowed to die. Talk about the end of an era. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 16th, 2009, 4:06 pm

I'm very sad about this news. I'm glad he lived to see traditional Disney animation return to critical acclaim and financial success last weekend.
Last edited by Josh on December 16th, 2009, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 16th, 2009, 4:06 pm

That's...shocking. I really don't know what to say right now.

He will definately be missed, that's for sure. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 16th, 2009, 4:10 pm

At least he lived to see the whole post-Eisner shakeup finally settle down and peace reign.

Personally never thought he was quite the corporate "messiah" he was symbolically made out to be during the SaveDisney campaign, but he did represent an anchor for the company's soul and old-school reputation, and the ideal that Disney should be making Classics, not High School Musical sequels.
Now the animation half of the company is left in the hands of those who grew up with 50's Disneyland, and its image of Walt, rather than the benefit of a personal one.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » December 16th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Sad news!

May he rest in piece!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 16th, 2009, 4:29 pm

It's just a shame he never got to be the company spokesperson his uncle was. I remember seeing him introduce one of the movies on its home video release back in the 90s (was it The Little Mermaid?) and I always wondered why he never did more of that.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 16th, 2009, 5:20 pm

He also hosted the introduction on the "Fantasia 2000" video, and he did a number of interviews that could be found on various Disney "making-of" featurettes as well.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » December 16th, 2009, 5:30 pm

He also hosted the introduction for the VHS of Snow White that was released in the 90s:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 16th, 2009, 7:12 pm

That's it. That's where I remember seeing him. Thanks, estefan.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 17th, 2009, 7:33 am

Roy Disney is featured prominently in Don Hahn's excellent documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty .. which may see a small theatrical release this spring. I highly recommend this film to anyone who has a chance to see it.

------------

I never met Roy Disney, but I did have the opportunity to peek into his office in the Burbank animation studio, once (he wasn't there).

Everyone I know who did work with Roy Disney has only ever had nice things to say about him .. which is all-too-rare, in the motion-picture bizness.

GeorgeC

Brittany Murphy, 32, RIP

Post by GeorgeC » December 20th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Same age as my youngest sister! Oy!

Anyhow, this'll be talked about in celeb circles for a few days.

My speculation is that the death is related to drug use or more likely her rumored eating disorder (anorexia most likely or possibly bulimia). Autopsy will determine the true cause.

What a time for such a young person to die. Holidays!

Heart attacks are unusual for someone that age unless the body's been under enormous stress. This sounds like Karen Carpenter all over again.

I remember seeing her first in "Clueless" when I rented that film way back when on VHS. She looked totally different than she did later on in "Sin City" and her more recent film work. I was surprised to find out she did the voice of LuAnne (sp) for the recently finished "King of the Hill".

This is really too bad for her friends and family.

She really seemed like a decent person....

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 20th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Murphy will certainly be missed. I didn't realize all of her animated roles until reading Animated Views' obituary. When I read Murphy won an Annie, I checked IMDb, to see which role won her the award. I'm not surprised it was Luane in King of the Hill, as I loved her work in that role.

On a side note, Murphy was also set to voice Tinker Bell in the DisneyToon franchise, before Mae Whitman landed the role.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 20th, 2009, 10:26 pm

This is just too tragic. :(