Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 1st, 2010, 11:27 am

Avenue Q not funny? What's wrong with you? Even my 80 year old grandmother thought it was funny when we saw it. Being the massive muppets geek that I am, Avenue Q is my favorite of all the stage shows I've seen (and I've seen a lot). In fact, if nobody beats me to it, I mean to make a serious attempt at making it into a movie, Gary Coleman and all (reportedly, it started out as a movie idea before they made it into a show). Comedians have been making jokes about dead celebrities for years (such as the Robot Chicken sketch about Walt Disney), so lighten up!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Ilene Woods Dead at 81!

Post by ibrmacf » July 2nd, 2010, 10:54 am

Ilene Woods, voice of Disney's Cinderella, had died at age 81 on July 1, 2010. More about it here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=67494

I'm sure this a loss that we will all miss :( .

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 2nd, 2010, 11:00 am

We posted this at the exact same time! More on the front page.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 2nd, 2010, 11:02 am

:(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 2nd, 2010, 1:25 pm

This is a very sad day indeed. :( Woods was so gentle and genuine as the voice of Cinderella.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 2nd, 2010, 2:57 pm

That's so sad. Such a great talent. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 2nd, 2010, 7:26 pm

Ilene voiced a smart, down-to-earth Cinderella, who was aware of her situation--
That's one thing that always rankled me about feminists symbolically dogpiling on iconic Disney-princess films for headline value.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Peter Fernandez Dead at 83!

Post by ibrmacf » July 15th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Voice Actor and Director Peter Fernandez famous for his voice roles in Speed Racer and bringing many Japanese cartoons to English speaking audiences dies at age 83. More here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... asses-away

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 15th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Yeah, I just read this...

Very, very big deal.

Most people have no idea on just how many shows this gentleman worked on.

There's no question Speed Racer will be his best-remembered role but man the guy was prolific!

Passed away from lung cancer, btw. I had heard in the past that he was a very heavy smoker...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cinderella's Voice Actress Goes to Heaven

Post by Dusterian » July 18th, 2010, 10:23 pm

My favorite animated character from my favorite animated film, now gone...well, except for what she gave us that will last forever.

Ilene was a perfect Cinderella, a sweet, warm, soft one who filled us with hope, love, comfort, and happiness. She was suffering from Alzheimer's, but now she's in the castle in the clouds at peace. We will miss her but she's in a better place and we have her wonderful movie forever to remember her by, like she wanted.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Animator Pres Romanillos Passes Away At 47

Post by Vernadyn » July 19th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Animator Pres Romanillos sadly passed away on July 17 of leukemia. More info and links to tributes to him by other artists can be found at Cartoon Brew.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/animators/pr ... s-rip.html

Romanillos worked on Disney films The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Princess and the Frog and DreamWorks films The Road to El Dorado, Sinbad, Shrek 2, and Madagascar. He supervised the characters of Shan-Yu in Mulan and Little Creek in Spirit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

celebrity deaths 2010

Post by Mathewkey » July 20th, 2010, 3:10 am

Hey guys, This is a list of celebrity deaths in 2010 so far. Celebrity deaths lists tend to get pretty out of date, but this one is updated every time a notable celebrity meets their death. The newest deaths are listed at the top of this list. Celebrity deaths in 2010 include dead writers, dead poets, dead celebrities, dead actors, dead actresses, and dead tv personalities. This famous deaths list has any notable deaths in 2010 as soon as they hit the airwaves

Mod's note: ...aaaaaand this link is dead too!

Please don't gatecrash our forum and start posting external, non-topic links in your first post, thanks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Animator Priscillano Romanillos dies at 47

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2010, 1:34 pm

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 3902.story

:(

He animated Little Creek in Spirit, Shan-Yu in Mulan, as well as other characters.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Satoshi Kon passes away

Post by Dan » August 24th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Courtesy of CMR

Satoshi Kon’s death was first reported on Twitter, which of course makes anyone suspicious nowadays. But unfortunately it is true and has been confirmed by the Anime News Network. They are quoting someone from the Otakorp Board of Directors for the Otakon Anime Convention, Jim Vowles as announcing that Kon passed away today at the age of 47. Additionally Madhouse founder Masao Maruyama confirmed his death as well. So sadly it is true. One of the most brilliant anime filmmakers of our time is gone, cut down by cancer in the prime of his career.

---

Satoshi Kon
1963-2010

Credits:
- Perfect Blue
- Millennium Actress
- Tokyo Godfathers
- Paranoia Agent
- Paprika

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 24th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Wow, what a shame. While I wasn't a fan of his one film that I've seen, he clearly had a vision and talent.