Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Kenneth Mars Dead at 75!

Post by ibrmacf » February 15th, 2011, 8:50 am

Actor/voice actor Kenneth Mars dies at age 75! He is known for his appearances in What's Up, Doc? and Young Frankenstein and for his voice acting in The Land Before Time, The Little Mermaid, Darkwing Duck, etc. For more, see here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12463998

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 15th, 2011, 4:49 pm

If you had said he did the voice of King Triton, I think more people would have responded... I sure would have quicker!!

I was kind of wondering what he looked like when it was mentioned that he played Francis' (Malcolm's eldest brother) German ranch boss on Malcolm in the Middle.

Yeah, I know that guy!

Too bad... Very good performer. I haven't seen him in a lot of movies and TV shows but he was good every time I heard or saw him!

GeorgeC

RIP, Joan Siegel, 93; inspired Lois Lane

Post by GeorgeC » February 15th, 2011, 10:08 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=30831

The widow of Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel was confirmed as departed on Monday. Joan Siegel was 93. She is survived by her daughter.

In her later years, Joan Siegel -- the inspiration for the Lois Lane character -- fought her own battle against Warner Bros to obtain at least partial copyright ownership of the Superman character.

Siegel was successful with this a few years back but Warner Bros appealed the decision. It's still court and a final decision on the issue doesn't seem to be coming any time soon...

I knew she wasn't going to live to see the court case resolved. She hated eating crow because her late husband was the type who wanted to be liked and not seen as a rabble-rowser going after money -- even if it was over a creation that was signed over decades ago under questionable circumstances. Jerry Siegel didn't pursue ownership of Superman after the legal settlement in the mid-1970s.

That's WB's lawyers' strategy. Outlive the heirs to both Siegel and Shuster and declare de facto victory...

There's got to be better things to do than waste your remaining time on Earth in a legal system that favors corporations and mega-rich individuals.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 16th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Also the head of the RAS and one of the villains in Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo, I believe, from memory. Wonderful comic actor: I never knew he was Triton! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Narnia producer dead of overdose

Post by Dan » February 18th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Perry Moore, the 39-year-old executive producer of the recent Chronicles of Narnia films, was found dead of an apparent drug overdose in his SoHo appartment.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-po ... dose-24865

GeorgeC

Re: Narnia producer dead of overdose

Post by GeorgeC » February 18th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Feel bad for the people who actually cared about this guy (no true friends or family let someone destroy themselves like this!),

but it's like another day in LaLa Land.

Usually it's lower-rank production or cast members that do this to themselves.

Not often you hear an executive dying like this...

Money doesn't buy you happiness. Sure, you may be more secure financially but you still have to deal with demons like everyone else.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 19th, 2011, 11:26 pm

In honor of Boyd, I watched Batman/Mr. Freeze: Subzero tonight. It still holds up quite well (though one now recalls that the actual overseas animation of B:TAS never matched the wonderful direction and character design).

Alas, the Kirkland family never made a change to their Amazon listings, so I still can't buy books from them for Canadian shipping. I'll try writing them again.

GeorgeC

Re: RIP, Boyd Kirkland, animation producer on Batman and X-Men

Post by GeorgeC » February 20th, 2011, 1:56 am

TV animation is what it is...

IF any TV studio tried to do full-animation, the costs would be enormously higher. Instead of $700,000 an episode, costs might be in the $20+million dollar range if not close to $30 million!

I think the Japanese generally do a better job with limited animation than the West does... It's all they've been doing for 50+ years. Their problem is that they tend to be too realistic with human character designs now. Those designs don't lend well to animation and as soon as they move it falls apart half the time. I've seen really bad walk and run cycles from the likes of Studio Ghibli so it's not just the TV production outfits that have problems. They're really better at economy of drawing, camera angles, and mood I think. Actual animation, like I said, is a different story. It's something most anime fans don't appreciate and don't comprehend when you point out some things to them. They can't separate design from actual animation (which is true among some American animators).

Since the American-produced action/adventure shows do as well as they have on video and in ratings, the studios don't feel the pressure for higher quality.

I once ran across someone on AOL (1995-1996) who claimed to be a producer on Batman at the time... I don't know if it was Uslan or one of the lower executives/producers on the series. He never gave his name. I do remember he specifically told me that he wished they had been given a bigger budget for Mask of the Phantasm. That film and all the others are basically longer-length episodes. Other than better staging, widescreen, and camera angles the quality really isn't much better than the average episode.

I was disappointed once to read that Bruce Timm actually thought Return of the Joker was Disney-quality animation. I had to laugh because I read that comment after seeing it and there were parts in film (including the flashback which was my favorite) where the animation was laughably bad...

AV Founder
AV Founder

RIP Dwayne McDuffie

Post by Randall » February 22nd, 2011, 7:55 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Dwayne- ... 10222.html

This one hits hard. I'm still in shock. Dwayne has been doing the press thing for the past couple of weeks, promoting his adaptation of All Star Superman, and seemed to be in good health. He can't be much past 50, if that. Apparently, he died from post-surgical complications; but it might have been planned as relatively simple day surgery, as he had more promotional appearances planned this week.

Dwayne was a solid writer, who contributed much to comics and animation. He was known for creating and writing good black characters, but in fact he was a great writer of all characters. I'll really miss his contributions.

First Boyd, and now Dwayne. I can't believe it.

GeorgeC

Re: RIP Dwayne McDuffie

Post by GeorgeC » February 22nd, 2011, 10:44 pm

There's a joke that goes around hospitals...

"Where's the best place to go to live? Home!"

"Where's the worst place to get sick in and die? The hospital!"

Unless I absolutely have to go to one, I don't really like hospitals.

I've never considered myself germ-phobic but after being through a course 4 years ago I changed my mind.

Besides the fact that your life is in the hands of fallible human beings, hospitals are great congregators of every bad bug known to mankind... and a few new strains that were created in those hospitals by cross-breeding, too.

About Dwayne McDuffie:

He was easily one of the most important crew members of the animated team since Justice League. Very good plotter and scripter.

We're going to feel the effects of his passing pretty soon.

Huge, huge shock. His wife and kids were not expecting this, either.

Keep that in mind, folks. You can pray for his soul but remember his next-of-kin are still here...

I just learned of his passing from an acquaintance on the Replica Prop Forum boards.
Shocking stuff for sure.

GeorgeC

RIP, Nicholas Courtney; Doctor Who's longtime friend

Post by GeorgeC » February 23rd, 2011, 1:28 am

hhttp://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/02/nicholas-courtney-doctor-who-actor-dies-at-81.html

Actor Nicholas Courtney, known world-wide amongst Whoosiers for his portrayal as the Doctor's government contact, "Brigadier", has passed away. He was 81.

Courtney with more Doctors than other character. His total appearances were 107 in classic original Dr. Who series.

He most recently appeared as "Brigadier" in an episode of "The Sarah Jane Adventures," a spin-off of Dr Who 2.0

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2011, 2:39 pm

I thought we were "Whovians"...? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2011, 2:42 pm

Woah, a shock indeed. Despite my spotty comics relationships nowadays, McDuffie was one name that I did keep hearing crop up amongst those that appreciate the medium. And for that to come on the eve of a big release? As Rand says, that hits hard.

GeorgeC

Re: RIP, Nicholas Courtney; Doctor Who's longtime friend

Post by GeorgeC » February 25th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Better than being Whoovians from Whoville...

But wait... that's ©Dr. Seuss!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 14th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Something a bit light-hearted for a change...

Dwayne McDuffie might have been the only guy that could have scripted an exchange between these three characters -- Black Lightning, Black Vulcan, and Static. Character voices are by Phil LaMarr and Damon Wayans. Wayans would play Black Vulcan and LaMarr would do the other two character voices.

Imagine an argument about who's the real deal!
(Besides the 'lightning characters', only Superman and Captain Marvel could really have this argument... They're just too polite to call each other out!)

Starts off calmly enough but gets intense. Ends with the adult characters telling Static to shut up when suggests a truce!

P.S. -- This is REAL geeky comic book stuff that more than a few people could find funny after doing research... Basically, Black Lightning SHOULD have been on the Superfriends series. The reason why DC wouldn't allow him to appear was licensing -- they would had to pay royalties to Tony Isabella, the character's creator. This is really the only reason why Black Lightning has never appeared in animation and WHY Black Vulcan was created in the first place! He's the stand-in for the role that should have been BL's.

The controversy gets worse with Static, the character created by Dwayne McDuffie. Static has powers similar to Black Lightning's but really is a completely different character -- he's adolescent and shares only superficial background similarities. Sort of the same thing between Superman and Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel DID, indeed, start off as a "rip-off" of Superman but evolved into a very different, more whimsical and humorous character quickly. Well before Superman had Supergirl, Krypto, and Superboy in the Super family of the 1950s, there was an entire Marvel family (of the 1940s!) including Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel, Junior, Uncle Marvel,the three Lieutenant Marvels (all with the secret ID of Billy Batson!), and Hoppy, the Marvel Bunny! In the end, it was Superman borrowing the Captain Marvel ideas of an expanded universe of "family characters"!