Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

RIP, Bettie Page

Post by GeorgeC » December 12th, 2008, 2:40 am

Au revoir, Bettie.

I hope you've found your peace.

I'm pretty sure you're in a better place now! :cry:

She passed away Thursday in the LA area in hospital. Bettie Page had been in a coma since she had a heart attack a short while ago.

She was 85 but lives forever young in her photos...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

RIP Maddie Blaustein (1960-2008)

Post by William » December 17th, 2008, 1:02 am

Maddie Blaustein, a transgender voice actress most known for her role as "Meowth" in the first eight seasons of the English-dubbed version of the
Pokémon anime, passed away on December 11, 2008 after a short (and as of this writing) unknown illness. She was 48.

4kids Entertainment has acknowledged the passing of Blaustein with the following post on their "The Buzz" blog:

It is with great sadness that we note the passing of our friend and colleague Maddie Blaustein. Maddie was a voice actress for hit shows such as Pokémon, Chaotic: M’arrillian Invasion, Dinosaur King, and Sonic X. She was a wonderful actress, friend and inspiration. Her talent, friendship and laughter will be missed by all.

In Loving Memory Of
Maddie Blaustein
1960-2008

Additional shows for which Blaustein voiced include El Tigre:The Adventures of Manny Rivera, Slayers, Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy and Viva Piñata.

Maddie Blaustein's Wikipedia page

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 17th, 2008, 11:04 am

It's always tough when you lose family around the holidays.

My Dad's brother -- my Uncle -- died from cancer shortly before Thanksgiving. I didn't know him that well but liked the guy from the few times we met. I have definitely been worried about my Dad since the death. It's a sign of mortality, something we all have to deal with. It's a bit easier to deal with it IF you believe in something more than this life.

Anyhow, off my pedestal.

RIP, to all who didn't make it to next year. We're all a bit sorrier and emptier for the losses, but you won't be forgotten.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 17th, 2008, 11:10 am

Sadly not being able to say I've seen <I>anything</I> that she contributed to, her Wiki page indicates that she was very versatile.

That's nice of 4kids to recognise her involvement with them and their properties and sad that she's gone so young.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 17th, 2008, 3:07 pm

OMG... I just second glanced the title of thread to make sure I read right. I'm so stunned, I can't believe it. I'm literally crying. Maddie was such an incredible person.

Meowth has to be my favorite character she's ever voiced. She put so much of herself in him, that's more apparent seeing her comments on Pokémon message boards and hearing her in the Audio commentary for movie 3. She really loved voicing him. Thank you for the eight years.

And now I'm reminded of that stupid cast change. Pokémon USA never let Maddie, or any of the original Va's, regain their original roles. After two years, Maddie finally was able to return to Pokémon - after she asked them - and what did they give her? A minor role. The fact she still couldn't voice Meowth I know was devastating, but she let it out soon after that the company treated real her bad. I even think she said she wouldn't go back.

I'm not in the least shocked 4Kids paid tribute. She was a big part of the company. She voiced countless characters, and she even stayed loyal to company when she could've jump ship to work on Pokémon.

We exchanged a few emails here and there, one time I joked and told her how cool it is me and her parrot share a name - which is Jake, BTW. And how we both have J between are names. She always so nice, and willing to answer any questions.

I'm going to watch some her most memorable episodes, "Go West Young Meowth" and the Gotta Dance short on movie 6 later today. I really wish they would have dubbed more of Meowth singing.

I'm really curious to know what on earth was her illness, (if any) but at least she died in her sleep. It could've been worse. RIP Maddie, you will be missed. :cry: :(

Edit: doing a quick YT search, there's already a bunch of tributes for here. Here's my favorite so far:

Love that song.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 18th, 2008, 2:50 pm

Thanks to a dear friend of Maddie's, we now know more details:
My name is Mary. I was Maddie's best friend and we talked at least 5 times a day. When I couldn't reach Maddie, I was 100% certain that something was horribly wrong. She would NEVER have disappeared on me. We loved each other with all our hearts.

She had been sick with a horrible stomach virus since Thanksgiving.
So sad... :(

In memory of Maddie, I found a picture on a Pokémon forum and shrunk it to use as my new avatar. May she thrive in Heaven, the one and only Meowth.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Eartha Kitt dies at 81

Post by Neal » December 25th, 2008, 5:58 pm

Yzma's gone for good.

She brought to life one of my favorite Disney villains. May she rest in peace.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A family friend says Eartha Kitt, a sultry singer, dancer and actress who rose from South Carolina cotton fields to become an international symbol of elegance and sensuality, has died. She was 81.

Andrew Freedman says Kitt died Thursday of colon cancer and was recently treated at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York.

Kitt, a self-proclaimed "sex kitten" famous for her catlike purr, was one of America's most versatile performers, winning two Emmys and getting a third nomination. She also was nominated for two Tony Awards and a Grammy

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 25th, 2008, 7:10 pm

We just lost playwrite Harold Pinter here in the UK too. I was watching his obit on the news when I switched over and saw Ceasar Romero in a clip from the 1960s Batman show. I wondered what on Earth Pinter had to do with that (it was also clearly an obit piece) and then they kept showing Catwoman. When it switched to other Kitt clips it was clear what had happened.

RIP to them both...they truly affected both their respective arenas in positive ways.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 25th, 2008, 11:02 pm

Why are we losing so many people in 2008????

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Eartha Kitt Dies at 81,this really hits home,an on christmas

Post by CSAD71 » December 25th, 2008, 11:09 pm

I heard the news tonight on Yahoo news site ,Eartha Kitt Voice of Yzma on The Emperor's New Groove/School died today of some cancer that finally became overbearing an overcame it's victum.

This really hurts, an it being on Christmas really ACHES the more. I was A real fan of Earth Kitt after watching the Emperor's New Groove for the 1st time.

Up until then I never really knew who Earth Kitt was, an all she did and brought to the table to change things in her life an our lives.

I love how Earth said that everybody made her what she was and what she became for the better and how she said we Adopoted her into their life as their own family member. (well in so many words it's close to what I felt she was saying to us.)

I guess this is according to yahoo news, because of her sad childhood at certain times, that made her feel wanted by us over the ones in her own life at times that made her feel unwanted by them, that caused it to be hard.

I'll Miss Eartha Kitt, Gods Peace forever,your in A better place now my friend,where you'll never be hurt again.

In closing I'll Always her Earth Kitt As Yzma say KRONK!!! Pull The Lever and KUZCO!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 26th, 2008, 10:26 pm

Such tragic news. :( I was watching the news last night and found about this. It's so sad considering it happened on Christmas. However, I think it's blessing she was at least able finish her role as Yzma, with the show ending last month. I couldn't imagine seeing more episodes without her. Here's her singing "Yzmopolis" from The Emperors New School - perhaps my favorite Yzma piece ever. It's just so fun and catchy and she really shines in it:

Maddie Blaustein also did her own redemption of Santa Baby in her Meowth voice... just something that occurred to me. Weired little connection.

"'Cause when I'm dead, you'll bow your head" - that's even more eerie. :(

GeorgeC

RIP, Ricardo Montalban

Post by GeorgeC » January 14th, 2009, 4:39 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/402/story/981171.html

Rest in piece, Montalban.

You shall always be the model of a fine, cultured Latin man to me!

I'm glad I got to see as many of your performances as I did.

You were the gracious host of an island paradise and far better than you had to be to that nasty French dwarf, you were the most cultured and suave genetically-engineered bad guy in the galaxy, and you reminded us a while back that you weren't too good to play the voice of a cow.

But most of all, you were a decent, fine human being.

That last part sometimes seems all too rare a commodity nowadays.

You will be remembered and missed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

RIP Patrick McGoohan

Post by Daniel » January 14th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Source:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Patrick McGoohan, an Emmy-winning actor who created and starred in the cult classic television show "The Prisoner," has died. He was 80.

McGoohan died Tuesday in Los Angeles after a short illness, his son-in-law, film producer Cleve Landsberg, said Wednesday.

McGoohan won two Emmys for his work on the Peter Falk detective drama "Columbo," and more recently appeared as King Edward Longshanks in the 1995 Mel Gibson film "Braveheart."

But he was best known as the title character Number Six in "The Prisoner," a surreal 1960s British series in which a former spy is held captive in a small village and constantly tries to escape.
And of course the star of Walt Disney's "The Three Lives of Thomasina" and "Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow". RIP. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 14th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Noooo..! I'm speechless. Yes, I fully agree. One of my favorite roles of him was on Kim Possible. Such a great talent. May he RIP. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Arrrgggh!!!

Now <I>this</I> guy was a legend. There's nothing more to say than that.

At least he's back with Ceasar... ;)