Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

RIP, Ulpio Minucci, composer of Robotech

Post by GeorgeC » March 20th, 2007, 12:47 pm

http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=308

Another casualty in the continuing saga of Robotech.

Ulpio Minucci, one of the primary architects of the Robotech music, passed away at age 89 on March 9th. He is survived by his wife and friends. He will be missed.

The Robotech main theme is one of the most memorable of science fiction and animation music in general. I seriously it ranks up there with the original themes for Star Trek and Star Wars. It's a romantic theme packed with a sense of wonder and action. It's music you won't forget once you've heard it. It's probably one of the greatest pieces of music Ulpio Minucci ever wrote.

The Robotech theme is one of the few themes developed for an adaptation of a Japanese animated series that's ARGUABLY BETTER than the original Japanese music. And I LIKED the music for both Macross and Mospeada!

Mr. Minucci isn't the only Robotech composer to have passed away in recent years. His collaborator on Robotech, Arlon Ober -- who wrote 50% of the music on the show --, also passed away some time ago.

Seriously, if you like the Robotech music, do yourself a favor and buy the soundtrack ASAP. Harmony Gold has the 20th Anniversary edition of the Robotech music up for sale at www.Robotech.com

I own ALL the official CD releases done for Robotech in the States and this is by far the best release...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 20th, 2007, 2:59 pm

The music composed for Robotech is indeed very good; much better than one might expect, for a television cartoon in the 1980's. Though, as you said, the original japanese soundtracks are quite good, too .. particularly Macross.

Minucci & Ober's music played a large part in successfully fusing the three disparate anime series which made up Robotech into a single, cohesive story. I'm sorry to hear both of them are gone. :(

AV Team
AV Team

RIP Art Stevens

Post by Jérémie » June 28th, 2007, 1:24 pm

This sad news just in through Steve Hulett at The Animation Guild's blog:

[Over at Disney's this p.m., and I found out from Burny Mattinson that longtime Disney Animation veteran Art Stevens has passed away...

Art came to Disney's in 1940, and worked at the Mouse House his entire career. A longtime assistant for John Lounsberry, Art was elevated to feature director on The Rescuers when Lounsberry died. He ended up the lead director on The Fox and the Hound and finished his career with The Black Cauldron.

I worked with Art on Fox and the Hound, and thought he did a commendable job in pulling the film together. (During its making, half the animation crew departed, and there was some fierce infighting among the directors.) That the feature turned out as well as it did is much to Art's credit.

Born in 1915, Art was 92 when he died. It was good knowing you Arthur. I will always have fond memories of the time we worked together.]
www.media-magic.blogspot.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 28th, 2007, 11:33 pm

At least he lived a good, long life.

Rip, Art Stevens. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 29th, 2007, 2:38 am

I made four visits to Art's place and enjoyed them all. He was very nice and humble. I have an interview with him taped that I really better start transcribing soon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 29th, 2007, 6:52 am

That would be a nice tribute Christian. :)

Having read up on a great many of the animators who passed through the gates over the years, Art's name is one that I always felt was underrated, especially as he became a directing animator without much due credit given to him for what he did achieve.

At least his name is being recognised now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Will Schaefer, composer for "The Flintstones" RIP

Post by SupremeBlisseyFan » July 8th, 2007, 4:40 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070705/ap_ ... t_schaefer

Will Schaefer, a composer for such animated films and TV shows as "The Flintstones," "The AristoCats," "The Jetsons" and "The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie," died in a nursing home outside Palm Springs, California on July 7th at age 78.

Schaefer also won an Emmy award nomination for the Walt Disney TV movie "The Skytrap" and modified the song "It's a Small World" to correspond to whatever room a visitor entered in the famous theme park ride.

He also composed for such live-action shows as "I Dream of Jeannie," "Hogan's Heroes" and "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 8th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Does anyone find it a little odd, that Will died on the last day of the Flagstones to Flintstones marathon?

In any case, he will be missed. :(

GeorgeC

Mike Wieringo, 44, RIP

Post by GeorgeC » August 13th, 2007, 1:45 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/Chicago_07/Ringo.html

Sad news. Sad news. Way too young to die.

Wieringo was best known for penciling runs on The Flash, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man. His best-known collaborator was writer Mark Waid and the two co-created the superspeedster character Impulse who evolved into Kid Flash II and later Flash IV.

A vegetarian, Wieringo apparently suffered a massive heart attack on Sunday, dialed 911, and passed away sometime before an ambulance got to his residence.

Wieringo will be missed. A nice guy, he was well on his way to recognition after paying his dues for a long time in the American comic book industry.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 13th, 2007, 11:21 pm

I can't believe it. I liked his work. He had a style of his own, for sure. I'm just shocked and very saddened.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 16th, 2007, 5:08 am

UPDATE

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.p ... p?t=125424

Basically, the upcoming Baltimore Comic-Con is honoring Mike Weiringo with a special tribute. Details will probably be forthcoming on Newsarama in the near future...

44. I still can't believe it...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » September 7th, 2007, 11:19 am

That is a little creepy...fitting, too though I guess.

Did he compose the opening theme song, as well?

(I woulda checked the article, but the link was down!!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 9th, 2007, 2:20 am

Heh, more like dead. When the link actually worked, it was exactly what Blissey posted, so it didn't actually provide more info, I'm afraid.

To answer your question though, I'm fairly certain he did not compose the theme song. Will just wrote the background music. (The score)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

R.I.P Charlton Heston

Post by SupremeBlisseyFan » April 6th, 2008, 1:55 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080406/ap_ ... bit_heston

Hollywood legend Charlton Heston has passed away at the age of 84 of unspecified causes, most likely related to his Alzheimer's disease-consistent symptoms.

Heston provided the voice-over narration at the beginning of Disney's "Hercules" (1997) and provided a voice in the live-action/CGI film "Cats & Dogs" (2001).

However, he is perhaps best known for roles in films such as "The Ten Commandments" (1956), "Ben Hur" (1959) and "Planet of the Apes" (1968). He also appeared in a cameo role in "Apes'" 2001 re-make.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 6th, 2008, 2:18 am

Oddly, my wife and I just recently watched El Cid and The Ten Commandments. I'm kinda glad we did now. In retrospect, it was like saying good-bye before he died.

He did some great movies, and even if one didn't care for his NRA stance, he should also be remembered as a past president of SAG and for being a prominent supporter of civil rights back when it was considered almost rebellious.