Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

Post by Daniel » April 12th, 2022, 4:48 pm

Gilbert Gottfried has passed away at 67. Darn. Such an iconic voice. Genuinely funny man. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 12th, 2022, 7:30 pm

"Darn" is right! ;)

For anyone with a strong constitution, The Aristocrats is certainly an experience. RIP.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 12th, 2022, 9:26 pm

........Aflac. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 13th, 2022, 3:45 am

Fun while it lasted, as they say.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 13th, 2022, 12:39 pm

This got more eerie:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 13th, 2022, 2:45 pm

Someone posted one with Norm McDonald along side those two (-louie). All three gone within a year.

EDIT: https://ew.com/celebrity/gilbert-gottfr ... oto-story/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 13th, 2022, 2:53 pm

:cry:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » April 29th, 2022, 10:57 pm

This one got me when I read it earlier.

Neal Adams, one of the top comic book artists ever, passed away last night at age 80.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235138106/
Last edited by Dan on May 1st, 2022, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2022, 3:59 am

Knew the face, knew the name…and it’s one of those times where you never put the two together. Very important guy in that realm. RIP.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 1st, 2022, 1:57 am

"Neal," actually.

I was exposed to his Batman and his Green Lantern/Green Arrow work at about the same time, when I was young. One book was Batman: From the 30s to the 70s. The other was a book about cartooning, which used an example of his GL/GA work. Naturally, it blew me away. The dynamism, realism, and gutsiness of the art was revelatory.

I met him three times at comic shows, and also proofread his work for a book. He had a warm smile and a big mouth. I mean that in a good way. The man knew how to gab. He'd spend hours on a sketch (ahem - for me, as I patiently waited), while he spoke at great length about anything at all to anyone who would listen. Yeah, he was a little conceited, and sometimes he lost the plot during a story (as evidenced by his recent comics), but he loved mingling with fans. He was a real character, and a comics legend.

A special thrill at Comic-Con in 2008 was spotting him at his booth. He wasn't there all the time, but I wandered by at the right time. I bought the first hardcover volume of his Batman stories, then realized it would be silly not to buy the next two volumes while he was there to sign them.

It was about three years later when I got that sketch from him (it was of Green Lantern, done inside the deluxe version of the Art of Neal Adams book). I also bought other books and a signed print. Then, 3 or 4 years ago, I saw him at a show again, and was able to speak to him about a book we both had worked on, We Spoke Out (a collection of comics about the holocaust). I had proofread the book, which featured an Adams cover and writing, plus an intro by Stan Lee. What an honour to have my name in the book with those guys! Anyhow, I got to thank him personally for signing a copy of the book that was sent to me (also signed by two other contributors, though not Lee). That was pretty cool. I also bought the Absolute version of his GL/GA stories, and got him to sign it, bringing things full circle, come to think of it.

Gee, I should write this all up for an article, maybe.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 1st, 2022, 4:00 am

I think you just did!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 1st, 2022, 5:29 pm

I got to meet him once at Comic Con and had a chance to get a sketch from him. I was kinda inspired to get him to try his hand at something different so I asked him to draw Supergirl. A lovely sketch it turned out.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 7th, 2022, 2:29 pm

From one legendary comic book artist to the next. This one hurts just as badly for me.

George Pérez passed away yesterday (May 6) at 67. He had been suffering from pancreatic cancer.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/geo ... 45653.html

Pérez' work in comic books is astronomical do to his ability to maintain a great level of detail on characters, particularly in panels with large crowds.

Among his work includes The Avengers, The New Teen Titans, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Wonder Woman, Infinity Gauntlet, and JLA/Avengers, just to name a few. It was launching The New Teen Titans with Marv Wolfman that Pérez is credited for creating the characters Cyborg, Starfire, Raven, and Deathstroke. They would also be credited for creating Dick Grayson as Nightwing.

Many of Pérez' works have been adapted to film and television over the decades, be it the Teen Titans animated series, Infinity War and Endgame based on Infinity Gauntlet, the exploration of Wonder Woman's Greek mythology background, and the evolution of the Scarlet Witch character.

Here's a brief video from SyFy back in 2017 in which Pérez talks about illustrating Crisis.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 7th, 2022, 3:01 pm

And on Free Comic Book Day no less. An irreparable loss to the comic book industry.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2022, 4:17 pm

Ouch…so soon after Adams. :(

RIP.