Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2005, 2:10 pm

Thanks George. We must have been posting this at the same time.

RIP, James "Scotty" Doohan...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 21st, 2005, 11:41 pm

I'm still amazed he fathered a kid at age 80...~!

I guess the photon torpedo tubes were still functional. :lol:

THAT'S my favorite Scotty joke.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2005, 1:37 pm

Aye, cap'ain.

That's a good one! :)

GeorgeC

Bob Denver dead at 70

Post by GeorgeC » September 6th, 2005, 3:36 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168600,00.html

Bob Denver is best-known as Gilligan from Gilligan's Island. He passed away recently at age 70. He died from complications from treatment for cancer. He's survived by his wife and four children.

Oh, he will be misssed. I don't think many people grew up without watching Gilligan's Island.

In real life, Denver wasn't even 1/4 the nitwit Gilligan was but was regarded as a very nice man.

Now, he's where Scotty (James Doohan) and all the other beloved actors have gone...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » September 6th, 2005, 4:42 pm

It is sad. I have been watching Gilligan's Island recently on DVD and you could tell Bob was smarter than his character.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 6th, 2005, 11:25 pm

Thanks for the notice, George. I have posted this story on A-N's front page, though I used a link to the Big Cartoon Database's coverage of Denver's death, since it detailed more on his work in animation.

This is sad news, indeed. Gilligan was an extremely lovable character, not just because of the show's writers, but mainly thanks to how Denver played him. Bob Denver will be - and already is - missed very much.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 7th, 2005, 1:36 am

You're welcome, Mickey A!

I personally think Denver's last great performance as "Gilligan" was in the Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello (who I've read ISN'T doing well, either) vehicle, "Back to the Beach" (1987?) which was a fond tribute to their 1960s Beach movies.

In the film, Denver plays a jaded Gilligan who's MUCH closer in intelligence to Denver in real-life. He's tending bar with his buddy, The Skipper, when Skipper says, "Come on little buddy! We've got another 3-hour tour to give!"

Gilligan says flippantly," Yeah, right! Last time we had a 3-hour tour, it turned into a 20-year torture!" (Words to that effect.)

It was one of the funniest moments in the film BECAUSE IT PLAYED AGAINST THE GILLIGAN TYPE EVERYBODY EXPECTED FROM DENVER! :lol:

Yeah, "Back to the Beach" in general is a dopey little film like every other "Beach" movie was, but it's a fond rememberance of a more innocent time in the 1960s and had a LOT of cameo appearances from celebrities who appeared in movies and TV series in the 1960s.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » September 7th, 2005, 1:52 am

I'd like to see it. I was trying to think recently of creative ways he could reprise his Gilligan character, even if only briefly.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 7th, 2005, 2:01 am

Just read this from MoviePoopShot http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/news/sep05/27.html

It's awful.

Denver had an operation in April where the doctors removed his VOICEBOX due to cancer.

That's right ---

He COULDN'T talk after the operation.

And one of the ways he made a living in recent years was doing a radio show with his wife.

It's pretty well-known that Denver was a smoker (and did pot among other things), but cancer is still a nasty way to go.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » September 7th, 2005, 3:09 am

That's funny. It says:
He even played Gilligan in an episode of "Baywatch."
Now I wanna see that.

GeorgeC

Tommy "Butch" Bond has passed away at 79...

Post by GeorgeC » September 25th, 2005, 1:37 pm

from Comicon.com :

"Actor/Director Thomas Bond has passed away according to Wane-TV. Although most people might know Bond as "Butch," the role he played in the successful Little Rascals franchise, comic book fans know him as one of the first men to bring the role of Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen to life in the movie serials. Bond played Jimmy in the 1948 Adventures of Superman movie and in 1950s Atom Man Vs. Superman offering.
Bond began acting at the tender age of six first as "Tommy" in the Little Rascals, then he took on the role of chief bully/tough guy and thorn in Alfalfa's side, "Butch." Bond also played "Joey Pepper" in the Five Little Peppers series of movies. In the 1950s he began doing more behind the scenes in the television and film industry, directing and producing many works.
Bond was 79 years old. Wane-TV reported the cause of death as complications from heart disease. "

Bond played the Jimmy Olsen character who WASN'T a wimp...

Considering he played Butch in the Our Gang/Little Rascals series, I don't think he would have played Jimmy any other way.

He will be missed. He was a very nice guy, and one of the last living "Rascals" who liked to talk to his fans and promote the series...

GeorgeC

Richard Pryor, RIP

Post by GeorgeC » December 10th, 2005, 5:16 pm

It's official.

After many years of battling MS, Richard Pryor passed away late Friday or early Saturday at his home of an apparent heart attack.

He was 65... :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 10th, 2005, 7:31 pm

That's sad. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » December 11th, 2005, 2:22 am

I guess that means there'll be no sequel to Superman III.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 11th, 2005, 4:12 pm

Awww, that's too bad.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."