Post by Daniel » September 3rd, 2008, 4:52 pm

Source

Awwe, man, there goes another one. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 3rd, 2008, 5:43 pm

As Charlie Brown would say, "AAAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!"

:(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 3rd, 2008, 5:45 pm

:(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 3rd, 2008, 9:32 pm

Good Grief.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 3rd, 2008, 11:03 pm

Rats.

AV Founder
AV Founder

RIP Paul Newman

Post by James » September 27th, 2008, 10:27 am

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 27th, 2008, 11:32 am

Yeah, I just read about it on a newssite.

I'm not surprised -- I knew for at least half a year that he was very sick and dying from cancer.

A shame for his family, but the guy was in his mid-80s and lived a pretty good life by any standards.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 27th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Ah, that's too bad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

RIP Paul Newman

Post by William » September 27th, 2008, 1:34 pm

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2008 ... 16000.html

Legendary Hollywood actor Paul Newman, the voice of "Doc Hudson" in Disney/Pixar's Cars, has died after a long battle with lung cancer at the age of 83.

He is mostly known for his roles in such classic films as "Cool Hand Luke," "The Sting," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Hustler" (and its sequel "The Color of Money," for which he won a Best Actor Academy Award in 1986), and for his "Newman's Own" line of food products, whose proceeds go to a variety of charities.

This marks the second cast member of Cars to have passed away this year, after the passing of George Carlin ("Fillmore") in June.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 2:03 pm

We don't normally post obits for people that might have only had a fringe impact on animation, but as a major Hollywood actor, I thought it didn't hurt to celebrate Newman, who was one of the first "faces" I remember seeing in a movie from childhood (it was probably Butch Cassidy, on home video).

http://www.animated-news.com/2008/holly ... s-aged-83/

RIP.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 27th, 2008, 3:33 pm

No, not Doc! :(

Well, RIP... you will be missed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 4:07 pm

I know very little of Paul Newman. Not my era, I guess.

But a sad day, all the same.

Pixar's problems keep getting worse. Now two actors from Cars have passed before Cars 2. And two actors from Toy Story's 1 and 2 have passed before Toy Story 3. They're going to have to get creative on what to do, or find some really good imitators, because Newman's and Carlin's voices were pretty distinct.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 27th, 2008, 7:21 pm

I'm very sad to read about Newman's death. I'll never forget the tremendously enthusiastic response to him at the Cars premiere in Concord, NC. One could always count on Newman to add a great performance to each of his films. He will certainly be missed.

GeorgeC

RIP, Levi Stubbs of Four Topps/Audrey II fame

Post by GeorgeC » October 18th, 2008, 9:22 am

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gVcy ... gD93SF6G81

Levi Stubbs, former member of the legendary R & B group, The Four Topps, passed away from complications due to cancer. He had been retired from the group since 2000 due to ailments.

Stubbs did voiceover for the animated series "Captain N".

Besides his vocals with The Four Topps on many tracks, Stubbs performed memorably as the voice of "Audrey II" in the motion picture adaptation of the musical "Little Shop of Horrors" starring actor/comedian Rick Moranis and Ellen Green from the original Broadway cast.

I can tell you Stubbs is one of the primary reasons to own the motion picture soundtrack to "Little Shop of Horrors." He lends an earthiness and charismatic quality to his role that makes the CD soundtrack to "Little Shop" as memorable as the movie itself.

MoTown has lost another vocal legend.