Blu-Ray has won the Hi-Def war!

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 18th, 2007, 9:10 pm

Ben wrote:
... the <I>full</I> support of the Mouse, BRD can not fail.

I'm not so sure I'd go that far.

High-def has a LONG way to go before it's mainstream.

Until all the major hardware drops down to standard-def prices, it'll remain the providence of the rich and high-tech videophiles who have to be the first kids on the block to own this stuff.

H-D players are already coming down a bit in price, but the HD sets still have a long ways to go before they're near mainstream prices. That's gonna be the big sticking point for many people including yours truly.

My next major point: until most people are convinced that the higher resolution WILL improve their enjoyment of home video, High-Def will stay a niche market.

Look guys, I really do think Blu Ray WILL be declared winner of the H-D wars sometime next year. I'm not entirely convinced, however, that even if we hadn't had the nonsense of two incompatible formats going against each other and the PS3 debacle that we still wouldn't be where we are right now.

High-def is nowhere near mainstream.

When Disney's most popular live-action film of the moment (Pirates I) fails to crack the top ten with a Blu Ray release -- maybe 50,000 copies sold first week it was out? --, there's still some cause for concern.

I'm not so sure that re-releasing Platinum titles on BR will do much good, either. Most of us that really wanted the Platinum titles got them while they were still hot on DVD. Most of us that have these DVDs note that they are still in excellent working order and don't feel a need to get a third or fourth edition of the exact same film on optical format! I'd think exclusive titles, unreleased (to DVD) extras, and classics that HAVEN'T been released on DVD yet are the way to go for BR IN ADDITION to older standards like Snow White.

However, that BR of Snow White is going to have to be dramatically better than the the washed-out, awfully videoy-looking original DVD release AND offer extras not available on DVD already. Might be a good time to recycle some more of those LD exclusives, Disney?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 19th, 2007, 6:36 am

Cars has been given a release date on Blu-Ray of Nov 6

http://www.hollywoodinhighdef.com/blog_detail.php?id=95
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2007, 1:24 pm

I wasn't saying Disney would make the format mainstream, George, just that BRD would win the format war.

Yes, granted and agreed that HD discs of whatever flavor will take a long while to go main, but it is happening. With more players, prices will come down and with all the HD TVs shifting off shelves (slowly but surely) the next time someone wants to go out and treat themselves to a new disc player, I wouldn't be surprised if they look to "the future" and HD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 19th, 2007, 2:05 pm

I'm pretty sure HD will just be the new 'Laserdisc' .. i.e., the format of choice for 'cinephiles' and home-theater 'tech-heads', while DVD remains dominant in the market at-large (in the role VHS used to play).

.. we'll see; but that's my guess, at this point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2007, 2:17 pm

Yeah, I'd go with that.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 19th, 2007, 2:31 pm

droosan wrote:I'm pretty sure HD will just be the new 'Laserdisc' .. i.e., the format of choice for 'cinephiles' and home-theater 'tech-heads', while DVD remains dominant in the market at-large (in the role VHS used to play).

.. we'll see; but that's my guess, at this point.

Thirded.

I'm beginning to think that'll be the case.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 19th, 2007, 8:02 pm

When they turn off the analog TV signal here in the states in 2009 and all new TV sales will be digital (and 95% widescreen and HD probably except for 13 inches and below) HD discs will enter the mainstream (even more so than they already are now I'd argue).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2007, 10:19 am

Our turnoff here comes 2010, but I think HD is selling better here on average than in the States.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 20th, 2007, 5:26 pm

I think it's 2010 here too. That's 3 years away I guess and hopefully HDTV's will come down in price as they use newer, cheaper technologies. *Fingers crossed*
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Lindsay » July 21st, 2007, 2:23 pm

Just wait until Christmas, guys; Blu-ray's gonna make a real killing against HD DVD (which is already in its death throes) - and it'll make a big step up in exposure too. :D

CES 2008 in January will be very interesting to watch. It's only a matter of time until Universal goes neutral, and/or other neutral studios (i.e. Paramount) go exclusive. Ever since the news of Blockbuster Video choosing to carry Blu-ray exclusively, an avalanche of little studios sitting on the fence have gone Blu all over the world. Anyhoo, CES 2008 is the most popular predicted time that Universal will announce neutrality - the VP, Ken Graffeo, is by his own admission already getting lots of pressure from parent company GE to release in Blu... ;)

Once a definitive format is shown, many Average Joes that are either confused or waiting out the war will jump on board. Methinks Blu-ray will flourish beyond its predicted LD "niche" status... 8)

By the way, Ben - Blu-ray Disc's official acronym is BD, not BRD. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2007, 3:04 pm

It'll be a long time before BD (thanks!) flourishes more than the LD niche it doesn't even hold yet.

As I've said on the front page before, it is only a matter of time before the numbers "help" Uni see the benefits of going Blu. And I really do think Spielberg will be a major pusher of that when he lets them put out his titles. He'll be out to make a big splash in the market and he won't be able to do that until Uni goes neutral.

But Blu looks to be the clear winner and Disney's just-announced nation wide promotions and city mall showcases are going to help that no end.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 10th, 2007, 7:39 am

"Universal's (CLUELESS) President Wants Hi-Def Format War to Continue -- Claims Rival Formats WILL Reduce Consumer Costs!"

http://www.hollywoodinhighdef.com/blog_ ... php?id=107
(courtesy of theDigitalBits.com)

Aye-yai yai yai yai!

Read it and weep. The last Hollywood holdout doing incredibly dumb things to drag the format war out!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2007, 8:42 am

Like he says at the end, I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for "Evan Almighty" on BRD! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 17th, 2007, 2:42 pm

Continuing Salvo by Disney in the Blu-Ray War

Couresty of TheDigitalBits.com , August 17th, 2007 ---

If you're a fan of Disney films, and you're considering upgrading to Blu-ray Disc, here's some news that's going to make it easier for you to pull the trigger. On the eve of the launch of their nationwide Blu-ray mall tour (which kicks off later today at the Westfield Topanga shopping center in Canoga Park, CA), Buena Vista has just announced that they're planning to release Sleeping Beauty, Finding Nemo, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and National Treasure on Blu-ray in 2008. The Chronicles of Narnia will arrive first in the spring, followed by National Treasure next summer. Disney and Pixar's Finding Nemo and the Platinum animated Sleeping Beauty will debut in the fall. Both Narnia and Nemo will offer full motion picture-in-picture bonus features, and National Treasure will be the studio's first BD-Live title. Sleeping Beauty will reportedly include a virtual castle and multi-player activities, also via BD-Live. Here's the official press release:

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WALT DISNEY STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT
ANNOUNCES THE DISNEY BLU-RAY TITLE WAVE COMING 2008

Burbank, CA, August 17, 2007 - Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) announced today more innovations in the Blu-ray format with the Studio's first ever Platinum Blu-ray release, the Studio's first BD-Live title, and full motion picture-in-picture Blu-ray bonus features.

The Studio announced the first animated Platinum coming to Blu-ray will be the timeless treasure Sleeping Beauty. Releasing Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray marks a milestone for the format as these titles are not released until a format has been proven both technologically and in terms of consumer acceptance - and Disney's animated releases in the past have been a major catalysis for any format's growth. Pinocchio's release on VHS and Snow White's release on DVD marked major growth milestones for both of those formats. The Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray Disc release will also include a virtual castle and multi-player activities - both utilizing the BD-Live technology.

“The Platinum titles are the crown jewels of the Disney Studios and we do not take releasing them lightly on any format. The proven Blu-ray technology has allowed us to take our films to new heights, fully utilizing the larger capacity and interactive capabilities for an incredible all-new consumer experience,” commented Bob Chapek, President of Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

In addition, WDSHE announced the special edition release of the action-adventure blockbuster National Treasure, which will become the Studio's first BD-Live Blu-ray Disc title. In addition, the Studio will bring two of its treasured family classics to Blu-ray Disc, Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, both of which will feature full motion picture-in-picture bonus features.

“The strides that we've made with this format are just the tip of the iceberg and we are confident that consumers will be astounded by the level of entertainment that can only be achieved by using the maximum capacity of the Blu-ray Disc format. All of these wonderful titles will appeal to the ever growing Blu-ray market and we are extremely proud to offer these in the most pristine and robust presentations ever for Disney fans around the globe,” continued Chapek.

This exciting slate of Blu-ray Disc releases will begin with The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in spring 2008, followed by National Treasure in summer of 2008 and culminating with Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo and Sleeping Beauty in fall 2008."

George's Commentary:

Heh.

Disney animated titles on DVD are what convinced me to get into DVD in the first place!

There are a couple of titles there I HAVEN'T bought on DVD so it'll make the transition easier for Blu-Ray.

HD-DVD is dead... It's just a matter of time before it's made official.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 20th, 2007, 3:23 pm

Now, I'm REALLY disgusted at Microsoft!

Read on -- from TheDigitalBits.com today:

"Microsoft has paid DreamWorks and Paramount so much money that they've decided to join Universal in the HD-DVD exclusive camp. No kidding.

None of the participants in this deal are willing to openly disclose just how MUCH money was exchanged, but the L.A. Weekly is reporting (based in part on a confidential report from media analysis firm Pali Research) that it was in the neighborhood of $50 million in "promotional considerations" for Paramount and $100 million for DreamWorks. I'm sure they're also getting lots of free or discounted VC-1 compression and HDi authoring services, along with prime placement on Xbox Live too. Is anyone else just disgusted by Microsoft's naked, shameless financial influence in this thing? That Hollywood is a greedy place should be obvious to all by now, if it wasn't already. The HD-DVD format can't win any other way than for Microsoft to PAY studios off to stay exclusive. And then they have the balls to claim the Blu-ray Disc camp is involved in antitrust violations. Wow."