Blu-Ray has won the Hi-Def war!

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 26th, 2005, 1:44 pm

"Dollar sales of digital TVs rose 78% last year, to $10.7 billion in the U.S., according to the Consumer Electronics Association, accounting for more than half of the dollar sales in television sets. Unit sales rose 63%, to 7.3 million. Some of those digital TVs had only standard-definition displays, but most were high-def. Most important to television programmers, the installed base is about 18 million HDTV sets in more than 12 million households. The CEA expects those numbers to pass 50 million next year, and 80 million in 2007."

Source: Barron's Online

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 26th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Moving this thread from News Submissions to General Discussions

GeorgeC

Perfect example of a **** in action...

Post by GeorgeC » July 13th, 2005, 8:58 am

From AnimeonDVD.com:
"Toshiba’s HD-DVD players will do high-def only via HDMI (12:25 PM EDT): I've been hoping for more sourcing on this but it seems legit enough as is and Toshiba's not moving all that fast to deny it. According to Roadshow reports in the UK where Toshiba has been showing off their HD-DVD format that's supposedly going to hit just before Christmas, they've confirmed that the players will only display true HD material via HDMI connections.

Just two years ago, DVI was being touted as the next big connector step-up from component as a pure digital pathway, but they found it could be broken far too easily. Size considered, a lot of people did upgrade to what they thought was the next generation of future-proof TV sets, myself included. The shift to HDMI has only really been going within the last eighteen months or so and a relatively small portion of HDTV sets sold in the last six years or so have them. The belief is that this is a pressured move by the Hollywood studios to curb piracy and that the CE manufacturers aren't exactly all for this since they could easily be labeled as anti-consumer for selling what they have for the past couple of years. In essence though, it's my belief that Toshiba by doing this has severely crippled their hardware and probably hope that it will lead to new sales of high definition TV's. I've not been a fan of HD-DVD for some time based on a number of things but this is one more nail in the coffin. What will be interesting to see is whether the Blu-Ray camp follows suit or whether this is something that's Toshiba only and other HD-DVD CE manufacturers will avoid doing. Regardless, if the format takes off on any level, except cheap knock-off Chinese HD-DVD players in a year or two that will bypass this "feature". "

OK, what's the problem with this picture?

The proprietor of said website-in-question has been urging his mostly high school/college-age visitors to upgrade to high-def ASAP and he doesn't accept reviews/new reviewers UNLESS people own high-def TV set-ups! Never mind the fact that many DVDs are screwed up and don't play well on regular definition players/TV hook-ups and that you get very different playback results with progressive scan on high-def sets at times. Chrissy boy here can't be bothered to LET people post reviews with anything less than high-def!

Peddle back a moment... Remember that I just said that the MAJORITY of his web viewers are high school/college-age! How many of these guys are going to have high-def setups outside of those in families where Mom or Dad are videophiles? Not too many!

Now the guy (web proprietor Chris) is finding out firsthand why it pays to WAIT a few years for new video standards to settle in BEFORE you take the plunge and buy new hardware.

The consumer electronics companies are CHANGING THE HOOK-UPS FOR HIGH-DEF DVD!

The first thing you have to learn with consumer electronics is that companies are capricious and will make changes seemingly on a whim that will hack you off... and they'll do this dozens of times throughout your lifetime! First-generation DVD owners SHOULDN'T be complaining now that their players bought way back in 1997 DON'T work with every title on the market because they didn't wait! It takes time for new standards to settle in and you can STILL find years later that not every company adheres to those accepted standards. Mac owners shouldn't be complaining now that the computer industry DIDN'T see their way and that we live in a Windows world! And do so on...

It continues to amaze me that the proprietors of certain websites think the world revolves them and that they get outraged when they get smacked across the head or kicked in the ass when reality creeps up on them.

This latest post is the latest diatribe by Mr. AnimeOnDVD that demonstrates why I've lost all respect for the guy. He's a prime example of the kind of elitism that I detest online and is someone people SHOULDN'T listen to when making hardware and software decisions.

GeorgeC

And the winner of the next DVD format war is...!

Post by GeorgeC » October 20th, 2005, 3:01 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051019/med ... y_dvd_dc_3

A tech-head is already declaring Blu-Ray the winner.

Heh. Like that'll make a difference to people as they walk in stores befuddled by the multittude of disc formats and pass on BOTH Blu-Ray and HD-DVD when they're told the players will cost at least $800 and that they can't get a decently sized HDTV for less than $2000!

I'd still wait at least 2 years after the formats launch to see the companies get all the bugs out of the hardware and software. Hopefully by then, HDTV and next-generation DVD players will be affordable.

Right now, it's a sucker's game to buy a new format when the situation still hasn't been resolved... on top of the technical bugs that are bound to pop in first-generation technology and software.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 25th, 2005, 6:46 am

Blu-Ray IS the winner, hands down, now that even WB has joined up.

Sure, they'll issue stuff on both formats, but wait and see how long that lasts as a face-saving excercise.

If everything is out on Blu-Ray, then Blu-Ray will win, no?

GeorgeC

Does this sound ENCOURAGING to you?

Post by GeorgeC » November 21st, 2005, 11:57 pm

From the DigitalBits.com today Monday --

"We'll be back with more later this afternoon, but first I wanted to jump in here early with a bit of HD format news. Sony Pictures said late on Friday that it has finally authored the first actual Blu-ray Disc title. And what might it be? Lawrence of Arabia? Spider-Man? No... it's Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. Uhhh. Lackluster title though it may be, this is still a very important milestone, because it gives all those hardware manufacturers the chance to finally start testing their Blu-ray Disc players to see if its compatible with final product software. According to the story at Video Business, the 25GB disc also features full-resolution graphics and animation and dynamic menus." The disc does not, however, include the BD-Java interactive layer, which is still not ready for prime time."

Emphasis on the italicized part.

You all realize the first mass-market Blu-Ray machine, the PS3, is LESS than four months away...?

Man oh man do these companies like to cut things close!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2005, 10:03 am

CHARLIE'S FRIIGEN ANGELS?????

And it's not even the first one??? The lamer-than-lame sequel????

Oh, Sony, where art thou gone? :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 22nd, 2005, 5:54 pm

What Ben said. Why not Spider-Man? Isn't that their biggest movie?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 23rd, 2005, 10:53 am

The test movie is NOT the point, guys.

The point is that it's only now that they're testing Blu-Ray hardware to be sure that it's compatible with the software!

We're less than half a year from hardware launch and they're now just starting to test the prototypes?

This is like starting to write a 100-page term paper the night before it's due!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 23rd, 2005, 11:03 am

Wow George, you really hate HD don't you? I can't count the number of threads you've started to criticize HD, HD-DVD,or Blu-Ray!

The article doesn't say they have not tested the software-hardware compatibility. They've probably been doing that in house all along with discs they've authored themselves. This is the first test of an actual disc created by a studio meant for consumer use. The article says as much it self - the first test with "final product software" - which implies tests using non-"master" software.

Except among techno-geeks (and HD detractors apparently) this isn't really news at all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2005, 1:52 pm

Yeah, I know it's the disc and not the contents that matters, but it's a shame they didn't really show off with something cool.

I mean, sure, shove a film with three or four hot chicks in in down on a Blu-Ray disc and the sweaty tech geeks won't even realise that it's only good old MPEG-2 they're watching.

Tech - "Wow - what a picture!"

Geek - "Yeah, sure looks good!"

Voice of sanity - "I can still see macro blocking on Cameron's butt"... :(

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 23rd, 2005, 2:44 pm

[quote="James"]Wow George, you really hate HD don't you? I can't count the number of threads you've started to criticize HD, HD-DVD,or Blu-Ray!
[/quote]

Honestly,

I think they're pushing this out on consumers too soon.

If we had gone HD 5 years ago like we should have, this wouldn't be that much of an issue.

It's cost, cost, cost. And the big costs now are the TV sets. Unless you want to buy another tube set or one of the LCD/plasma knock-offs at Wal-Mart or el-cheapo's, you're not going to get quality.

It's really expensive now. No doubt about it.

Do I hate new technology? Not really, but there have to be practical reasons for it, too.

I'm not so sure we're really ready for this. They've been talking about switching over to hi-def for close to 20 years now but it gets pushed back all the time.

This test business is not encouraging.

Sure, the software produced by Sony will work on SONY machines, but that isn't the point of the article. Sony is just now shipping software for compatibility across different hardware.

We all know how well THAT worked out with the last generation of DVD players, don't we? That's the reason I waited 2 years AFTER the introduction of DVD to finally get my player.

Even if the costs and competing formats weren't an issue, I think the smart move is to wait. Buy an HD set (when one can afford it) that has all the hook-ups to be safe and get a progressive-scan player, but wait to see which HD format wins out and about another 1-2 years before taking the plunge.

The other issue now is the U.S. economy. I wonder how many people are going to make the switch to a more expensive video format they may not see the benefits unless they have HD TV sets?

GeorgeC

More Paramount future release news...

Post by GeorgeC » December 4th, 2005, 3:08 pm

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents (December 5th -- Okay, Bill posted this info a day early!)

"By the way, Paramount's already announced March slate is shaping up to include a new 3-disc collector's edition of The Ten Commandments, The Thing Called Love, a new Stalag 17: Collector's Edition, a Billy Wilder Collection (containing Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17 and Sabrina), Snoopy Come Home, A Boy Named Charlie Brown, Hogan's Heroes: The Complete Third Season and that silly Spring Break Shark Attack show that was on CBS a few months ago. That's in addition to that Star Trek: Fan Collective - Borg set we've already mentioned."

<Sigh> ANOTHER Ten Commandments release? I know I have to get this film someday so I guess I'll wait and see if it's different than the LAST TWO releases!

It's ironic that BOTH Stalag 17 and Hogan's Heroes are listed since the former film INFLUENCED the TV series. Yep, Hogan's Heroes is basically a TV extension of Stalag 17. They're both great in their own ways, though.

I always wanted to get Stalag 17 but never cared for the current disc on the market. Hopefully, the new edition gets some decent extras and a possibly newer, better transfer.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2005, 5:11 pm

Dang that Ten Commandments release - I just got the "Collectors Edition".

George, the ifrt issue was lame - no extras. The "new" one, which I got, has a restored print, commentary, a documentary and more.

Considering how hokey the film holds up nowadays, I'm surprised their doing it again, but what's the betting they go this has been influenced by Ben-Hur and will see the same two-disc set that's out now simply joined by the silent version?

That's what me thinks anyhoo.

The Snoopies sound a safe bet too, though hopefully the Sunset Boulevard (one of my truly fave films) disc won't need a second pickup.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 5th, 2005, 12:47 am

Ben,

I think Sunset Boulevard is probably the same disc released a while back. I've got that one... It's the restored version. Too bad WB doesn't take as good care of its animated film stock as it does the live-action classics. Really, the only major studio doing a (mostly) decent job with its classic animated features and shorts is Disney. (DW doesn't count -- the studio's not old enough and they have nothing that I consider classic right now.)

Funny thing is that I've NEVER gotten around to watching all of Sunset Boulevard!

My whole exposure to Sunset Boulevard consists of seeing short pieces of it and a Carol Burnett spoof! :lol:

I wouldn't mind getting the best Ten Commandments I can get plus Ben-Hur.

As crazy as I am about some movies, I'm really lacking in the "classics" department and need to get up to speed.

Live-action really hasn't been the same since the 1980s. Ditto for animation since the mid-1990s. Even the Japanese scene today isn't as good as it was 10 years ago.

Even if I never collect another "new movie" I know that there are a hundred-fifty million old ones that I still want to watch!