Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2005, 9:54 pm

For next year I wonder if Cars or Over the Hedge will win?????

These things are kinda more interesting when Pixar's in the running....

So for now let's have it out: for this year, does Chicken Little actually have a shot? I liked the movie but I'm betting against it. All those negative reviews do not bode well, even though CL did decent box-office numbers.

I think it's gonna be Mad, Corpse Bride or Wallace and Gromit.

Mad did very well and there were SOME positive reviews. Plus regular people actually SAW this film. Apart from people on animation websites, how many people have actually seen the other two????
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 28th, 2005, 7:41 am

W&G? Lots of people saw that! CB, on the other hand...Besides teenage girls and animation fans, not too many people spent their money on a ticket for that flick.

AV Founder
AV Founder

2005 Annie Award nominations discussion

Post by James » December 5th, 2005, 1:12 pm

The nominations are out! Discuss who will win or who was robbed here!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 5th, 2005, 1:29 pm

I hope Joe Moshier finally wins for Chicken Little. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think he won anything for New Groove or Home on the Range. But I could be wrong. Anyway, I love his work and I loved how well his designs turned out for Chicken Little in 3d. Worked perfectly

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » December 5th, 2005, 1:44 pm

I would have liked to see individual character animation nominations for some of the work in Madagascar and Chicken Little.

What's being done to push the look of 3-D more toward organic and cartoony animation is amazing. The rigs that allow for that are a completely different animal from anything that's ever been done before in CG. Watch the scene in CL where Buck is talking to the prinicpal in the office. They are silhouetted against the glass. The scene is played completely in silhouette, and even though the rigs are the 3-d rigs being animated, it plays as if it were entirely hand-drawn animation. That's a HUGE milestone.

I would have nominated Doug Bennett, Nik Raneri and Jason Ryan on Chicken Little, for Runt, Buck and Chicken Little respectively.

On Madagascar, I would have nominated the leads on Alex, Marty and Gloria. Amazing stuff. I really love that they're trying to push a distinctive style with their animation. This bodes really well for the future, that they were allowed to develop a kind of house style for that picture.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 5th, 2005, 2:58 pm

yeah, it reminds me of the developments of traditional animation during the nineties, where they slowly started to stylise stuff. Sadly, the stories are left in the cold here as well. Regardless, both Chicken Little and Madagascar were fun and deserve some awards.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 5th, 2005, 3:10 pm

I'm very pleased to see W&G getting its due. I was a bit worried the film might be overshadowed by the studios' bigger releases and/or by the more hyped stop motion Corpse Bride.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » December 5th, 2005, 4:44 pm

I will sayh I was a tad surprised to see Valiant get completely shut out. Not that it would really be a sincere contender in the categories but I really thought it would pull off a nomination somewhere.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Character Animation Noms...

Post by harkin » December 5th, 2005, 6:26 pm

I'm shocked they didn't nominate anyone from Blue Sky or Disney in the Character Animation category.

Just shocked..??? :shock:

Especially, when most years they've been nominating Pixar's best animators.
I kinda feel like this year the "award" has been cheapen'd a little. AND in the same breath I think the Wallace and Gromit nods are much deserving.

-harkin

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 6th, 2005, 6:01 pm

As much as I loved "Wallace and Gromit", I think that they may have gotten one nod too many here.

Hardly any nominations for "Robots". There go any chances of it getting noticed at the Oscars.

"Chicken Little" got nominated for Best Picture though. I'm actually kinda happy about that.

BUT how in the heck did W&G snatch up all of the freaking nominations for Best Vocal Performance?!?! Especially when it's a movie where the most engaging character doesn't speak at all?!? I was really hoping for Sasha Bohen Carter for his work as King Jullian in "Madagascar", but that may just be me.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2005, 6:12 pm

He did do a really good job, I agree.

It kind of irritated me last year how Incredibles got everything, too.... :roll: It's just how it is with awards sometimes... :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 6th, 2005, 6:26 pm

And what about Robin Williams and Amanda Bynes in "Robots"? What about Johnny Depp in "Corpse Bride"? And hey, Helena Bohan Carter was possibly *better* in "Corpse" than she was in W&G.

Also, it would help if they were a little more specific when they list the noms for "Character Design". Last year, for example, Ken Duncan got a nod for his work on "Shark Tale", but I have yet to find out which character in that film he designed!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Critics Choice Awards

Post by Dacey » December 11th, 2005, 5:02 pm

http://www.bfca.org/NomineesWinners.asp

"Robots" has basically lost all chances of an Oscar nomination.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 15th, 2005, 7:30 pm

Y'know I still haven't gotten around to seeing that... :roll:

I like your quote Wendy's Jane!

:wink:

I already think Hammy's an awesome character.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 16th, 2005, 5:09 pm

I like his character design and animation...I hope all his humor isn't going to be like "Wanna see what I can do with my nuts?", though. :roll: