Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2005, 12:29 pm

Nominating a film as best screenplay has LONG been an Academy pat on the back brush off for films that don't quite deserve Best Picture.

Frankly, I didn't like Passion, on filmmaking terms, since it did not have a story arc, and was repetitive in the extreme. I don't think it deserves a Best Picture nod, though there has been an obvious achievement (in Gibson getting it made at all).

As for the Lord Of The Rings, they were nominated in the correct catergory, since they were all made by New Line Cinema, an American division of the American company Warner Bros.

I think Incredibles has a better chance of winning than Shrek, which could be seen as having had its reward in its grosses. Plus, Incredibles has gotten the Screenplay nomination too, which places it higher in the Academy's eyes. The animators who vote for these will have high regard for Brad Bird too, especially for Iron Giant and after it was murdered by WB on its release.

SharkTale hasn't got a chance, but it will be a close one between the other two!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » January 26th, 2005, 12:29 pm

While I enjoyed Shrek 2 and felt it was almost as good as the first, I would find it hard to accept if they choose to give it the Oscar over "The Incredibles". I do feel that "The Incredibles" will win, but part of me has that uneasy feeling the Academy will lean toward Shrek 2 because the first one won and everyone has such a fondness for the character of Shrek. Don't get me wrong, I love the character of Shrek. But let's give credit where credit is due: The Incredibles was, by FAR, the best animated film in '04 and, I think, the best Pixar film to date! It dared to be different and not cater to just one audience, but chose to be simply a great film, regardless of which audience would enjoy it most.

Go INCREDIBLES! :D :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Incredibles/Shrek 2

Post by ShyViolet » January 26th, 2005, 2:06 pm

I thought Shrek was a riot, and I LOVED Incredibles. It's hard to choose. However, much as it PAINS me to say this, I have to say that Incredibles deserves to win. Shrek was wonderful in its own way, but essentially...it was covering old ground. But it would be so cool if it DID win and JK went up to accept the Oscar. That would rule.

BTW as far as animated shorts go, I hope with all my heart that Lorenzo loses, loses, loses. (Just like Destino did) Roy Disney getting something for animation and Katzenberg getting nothing--now that's unjust.

I hope that didn't offend anyone....but that's how I feel. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2005, 2:11 pm

At the end of the day, Shrek 2 was a sequel. Bigger and better, but a re-tread.

The Incredibles was a gamble, albeit one by one of the coolest directors at one of the best studios out there, and more original.

And since when did Katzenberg not get anything for animation - hasn't he picked up a few accolades recently?? :)

I hope Lorenzo wins, actually, as it is a very sweet, very well made film, if a little crazy! And it'll be director Mike Gabriel who visits the podium if it does take home Oscar, so no worries there either!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Incredibles/Shrek 2

Post by macontosh2000 » January 26th, 2005, 2:14 pm

Is there anyplace online that i can see the animated shorts that are nominated?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 26th, 2005, 2:31 pm

Ben wrote:At the end of the day, Shrek 2 was a sequel. Bigger and better, but a re-tread.

The Incredibles was a gamble, albeit one by one of the coolest directors at one of the best studios out there, and more original.

And since when did Katzenberg not get anything for animation - hasn't he picked up a few accolades recently?? :)

I hope Lorenzo wins, actually, as it is a very sweet, very well made film, if a little crazy! And it'll be director Mike Gabriel who visits the podium if it does take home Oscar, so no worries there either!
I have to agree that Incredibles was very original and a definete achievement. (Should've gotten Best Picture nom too!)

I know K has gotten awards but a lot of people don't consider him to be a real artist. I still don't know why. I think it's unfair and that he deserves a REAL OSCAR after everything he's achieved.

Good Roy's not the one accepting the statue if it does win. He doesn't deserve it by a long shot. After all the disgusting lies on his website about how he, Frank Wells and Stanley Gold were the only forces of goodness at the company, it would be a disgrace if he did win. The way he has tried to twist Disney history on his "SaveDisney Timeline" is atrocious. He did the exact same thing that the Disney company has been doing FOREVER--try to erase someone who was the head of the studio for ten years, to say he basically never existed. Just check out www.SaveDisney.com if you don't believe me!

After 1994 Disney went downhill but only because of Frank Wells' absence, not what Roy and Stan did to Katzenberg. Roy is apparently not accountable for anything. Let him get the kudos for Lorenzo if that's what people want to believe. The truth doesn't die.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Incredibles/Shrek 2

Post by James » January 26th, 2005, 2:55 pm

macontosh2000 wrote:Is there anyplace online that i can see the animated shorts that are nominated?
I'll do another Oscar nominated short film roundup in a few weeks. Among the links I listed last year were some clips of the nominees from AWN. I'll post what I find!

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » January 26th, 2005, 3:53 pm

"Keep in mind, though, that Moore pulled Fahrenheit 9/11 from the race for Best Documentary, in an effort to help get it a Best Picture nomination. "

That's what I said, but the media is acting like the Academy decided to snub him when he did it to himself.

I think Passion of the Christ was filmed in the way Lord of the Rings was. That seems to be the way film making has headed since Matrix. I think it needed to finish the story but I understand why he ended it where he did. It's because of the content it was snubbed. Look at the content of most of the heavy weights this year. Most people think Million Dollar Baby is a Rocky sort of film when it's shoving the agenda of assisted suicide down our throat. That's a big kept secret, isn't it? There has been a tradition of this sort of film being praised by Hollywood when good clean stuff is ignored for the passed 30-40 years or so. Hollywood has become a sesspool of filfth, profanity, and liberal agendas that threaten all the great things America stands for and the Oscars embody that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Medved

Post by ShyViolet » January 26th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Special Ed, have you ever heard of conservative writer/commentator Michael Medved? He says a lot of the things you say about Hollywood and family content/religion being ignored. You might find his website interesting:
www.michaelmedved.com :wink:

Also, if you think about it, wasn't Prince of Egypt also snubbed by the Academy because of its religious content? It got a lot of praise from critics and religious groups about its worthy subject matter and the way it was presented, but when it came to the Academy, it barely scored anything, like maybe one award for "When You Believe". It should at least have been NOMINATED for Best Score, Special Effects and Cinamotography.
Last edited by ShyViolet on January 26th, 2005, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 26th, 2005, 7:27 pm

I wish it would stop being such a cesspool.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » January 26th, 2005, 7:41 pm

Never heard of him but I'll certainly check it out.

Yep, POE was snubbed by Oscar too. I found that interesting because many of the Hollywood insiders are Jewish. It sounds cliche' but I'm always surprised to learn who is jewish in Hollywood. I recently saw Jason Alexander on a late show and he said he was. Never would have guessed.

There was a time when Biblical epics were embraced and rewarded by Hollywood. Cecil B. DeMille was a great devout Christian. They always seem to gloss over that fact when they hand out the award that bares his name though...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DarrenBest » January 26th, 2005, 9:17 pm

Wow, a lot of people here are making comments about the Academy, and it's obvious people here have no idea what they're talking about. :roll:

The Prince of Egypt was only nominated in music categories because let's face it, when has an animated film been nominated for anything other than its own category/music/sound/screenplay, and in the one case Best Picture. You can't nominate an animated film for visual effects, because the animation itself is the effects. Categories like Visual Effects usually what you call a "shortlist". About a month prior to the nomiations, each committee determines which film are eligible. This year, I think only seven films were even under consideration.

OK, SPECIAL EDITION, the reason why none of The Lord of the Rings movie were never nominated in the foreign department was because the movie is in ENGLISH! The name of the category is Best Foreign Language Film, not Best Film Made In Another Country. Also, it has to be officially submitted from a foreign country. That's why The Passion of the Christ was ineligible. Not to mention it was spoken in a largely DEAD language. Also, it wasn't nominated for Screenplay. Oh, and Titanic won its sweep without a screenplay mention. You don't have to be nominated for screenplay to get a Best Picture nomination, and vice versa.

Foreign Films, as animated films and documentaries, are eligible for Best Picture. Michael Moore decided not to submite, so he wasn't even on the shortlis ballot people.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 26th, 2005, 9:17 pm

Prince of Egypt did receive an Oscar nomination for its score, and won the Oscar for Best Original Song. Keep in mind, Ed, that probably Prince of Egypt's toughest competition for that latter award was none other than "The Prayer" from Quest for Camelot.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2005, 9:50 pm

Special_Ed wrote:Most people think Million Dollar Baby is a Rocky sort of film when it's shoving the agenda of assisted suicide down our throat.

Well, thanks Ed, for completly f*****g ruining what I was looking forward to being my first night out in quite a while.

Yes, I thought this looked a little Rocky, but heard that it had a powerful twist. Guess I don't need to hook up with my friends now and enjoy a proper, adult night out, since I now know what happens.

You never heard of spoiler warnings or our own hidden text function here on the boards??

Man, that has p****d me off! :x

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 26th, 2005, 9:53 pm

At least he didn't tell you how and why it happens, though. That's what makes it a powerful twist in the story.

Actually, IMDB had an interesting story about how some news commentators have been spoiling the movie by discussing that part of the film: http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#2 . WARNING! : the report there goes into even more detail about the twist that happens, revealing the events that lead up to the... well, you know. I don't want to say it, for those who may have overlooked Ed's message and still don't know the plot twist.