Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » July 1st, 2006, 2:48 am

So far, it's looking like it's going to be between Cars and Over the Hedge. (I didn't see Ice Age 2, so I won't make stuff up or just spout hearsay ;)) The rest look all right, but nothing too spectacular yet.

As for Cars and Over the Hedge: They're both good movies, both awesome visually (the Western scenery! The FUR!), and both have cute stories (with Over the Hedge being a bit more complex and action-packed, and Cars being a bit slower and more character-development-focused). I left the theater happy for both.

...I'd prefer not to pick a favorite just yet. Maybe I should just go see both again. :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 1st, 2006, 11:07 am

Macaluso wrote:I think it's between Cars, Over the Hedge, The Wild, and Flushed Away.
"The Wild"?

Somehow I don't see that film even getting nominated (no offense, Spaz).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » July 1st, 2006, 6:33 pm

I can imagine Over the Hedge, Cars and Flushed Away getting nominated. I would personally love it if Cars won the award. I haven't seen it yet (hasn't opened here yet), but I want it to win just because it'll mean that John Lasseter will win an award for his very own film (I know that he got a special Oscar for Toy Story, but his very own category Oscar would be so nice for him since he's given so much to animation and will do more hopefully now he's at Disney).
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » July 1st, 2006, 6:58 pm

Even though I've already made a comment about which movie I think will win, I don't quite understand why we're talking about this so early. Most of the films we've listed haven't even been released in theaters yet. :P

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 2nd, 2006, 11:20 am

And Ice Age 2, I can't say much about yet because I've only been able to see bits and pieces of it at work. So far, I'm lovin' it.
Ice Age 2 was kind of bleh. The first one was waaaay better.

So far the best thing I've seen this year was Cars - OtH was amusing, but I don't think it will win.

I'm not sure whether or not Monster House or Happy Feet will be nominated, because they're both mo-cap. The Polar Express didn't get a nom in 2004, even though Shark Tale did. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » July 2nd, 2006, 1:56 pm

Meg wrote:Ice Age 2 was kind of bleh. The first one was waaaay better.
Ice Age was great, but IA2 had more characters and action, and the soundtrack rules. Those songs from the end credits are some of the best IMO.

But I don't think it'll win.

Meg wrote:The Polar Express didn't get a nom in 2004, even though Shark Tale did.
I didn't think it was fair that Dreamworks had 2 movies nominated in the same category, which was Best Animated Feature. Both Shark Tale and Shrek 2 went up against The Incredibles, but they didn't stand a chance. 8)

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 2nd, 2006, 4:00 pm

"Shark Tale" deserved a nom more than "Polar Express". Besides, it used actual character animation, unlike PE which was motion-capture.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » July 3rd, 2006, 3:28 am

I don't think the academy nominates animation techniques. They nominate the final motion picture.

Or do you think that Weta should hand back their oscars for Lord of the Rings? ;-)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2006, 12:43 pm

I'm not sure how to take that! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 6th, 2006, 5:10 pm

Neither am I.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 10th, 2006, 8:09 pm

I didn't think it was fair that Dreamworks had 2 movies nominated in the same category, which was Best Animated Feature.
Well...just sayin'....technically one year Disney had Spirited Away, Lilo and Stitch AND Treasure Planet nominated--that's three films. (if you count SA) :wink: :wink:
I don't think the academy nominates animation techniques. They nominate the final motion picture.
Yeah but WETA won for Best Special Effects didn't they? And PJ won for Best Picture, not Best Animated Feature....

Polar Express is "animated" in certain ways but it mostly uses real actors to act out the movements (in this case, mostly Tom Hanks). So it's not really "animated" in the classic sense.

If Polar Express is animated, in my opinion, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace should also be counted as an animated feature....it used mostly animated environments and characters with the help of a few live-action actors. Same thing, in my opinion. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vekoma » July 12th, 2006, 5:27 pm

Best animated movie in 2006? CARS without a doubt!
[img]http://members.lycos.nl/vekoma/sig.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 24th, 2006, 2:30 pm

If Polar Express is animated, in my opinion, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace should also be counted as an animated feature....it used mostly animated environments and characters with the help of a few live-action actors.
Did not!

Do you have "Phantom Menace" on DVD? They used a LOT of "Real" sets in that movie! So, no, it's not the same as "Polar Express", at least not the way I see things.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2006, 8:45 pm

I could be wrong but wasn't it 75% bluescreens? (animated environments superimposed)

I think Phantom might have a couple of "real" sets (Tunisia?) but Attack and Sith were both 90% computer animation. So, in my opinion that DOES make them "animated movies" in the same vein that Polar Express is. Animated environments superimposed over real actors...not much difference as far as I can see. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 26th, 2006, 9:33 am

"Phantom Menace" was not 75% bluescreens, at least as far as I know. They filmed a lot of it outside.

Besides, it's still not "The Same" as PE because *Nothing* you see in that movie is real, even though it's done with "Actual" performances by actors.