Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 27th, 2005, 10:21 pm

Miracle also deserves more award consideration than it got, in my opinion. Kurt Russell was fantastic in that film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » January 28th, 2005, 9:13 am

askmike1 wrote:Finally, as for animated feature, you have to forget that it is a sequel and judge it on it's own. If Cinderella was a sequel to Snow White, would that affect Cinderella in any way? IMO, Monsters Inc. was better than Incredibles...Shrek beat Monsters Inc... Critics say that Shrek 2 was better than Shrek. Using that logic, Shrek 2 should win.
Well... Following that path of "logic" - Let's assume that ROCK (Monstrers) beats SCISSORS (The Incredibles) and PAPER (Shrek) beats ROCK. Does it really imply that another sheet of paper (some people claims it's better quality paper, others do not) even twice as large as first "ogre-size" sheet is able to defeat SCISSORS ??? I don't think so ;)

cheers
Szymon :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 28th, 2005, 11:42 am

Kaszubas wrote:Well... Following that path of "logic" - Let's assume that ROCK (Monstrers) beats SCISSORS (The Incredibles) and PAPER (Shrek) beats ROCK. Does it really imply that another sheet of paper (some people claims it's better quality paper, others do not) even twice as large as first "ogre-size" sheet is able to defeat SCISSORS ??? I don't think so ;)
Sure, but if you change that logic so it uses animals...

LION (Shrek) eats HYENA (Monsters Inc.)...HYENA eats ZEBRA (The Incredibles). Using this logic, a bigger LION (shrek 2) will eat the ZEBRA.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » January 28th, 2005, 12:59 pm

I don't know about that whole Shrek logic thing --- if the ol' Tomatometer on Rottentomatoes.com is any indicator, The Incredibles should win handily. Shrek 2 got 90% fresh rating from critics, while The Incredibles got a 97%! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 28th, 2005, 2:25 pm

You can't go by Rotten Tomatoes though because Shrek got an 88% while Monsters inc got a 95% (and we all know what happened).
-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » January 28th, 2005, 2:45 pm

askmike1 wrote:Sure, but if you change that logic so it uses animals...

LION (Shrek) eats HYENA (Monsters Inc.)...HYENA eats ZEBRA (The Incredibles). Using this logic, a bigger LION (shrek 2) will eat the ZEBRA.
;) hehehe, and so on...
...Lion eats Zebra, Zebra eats grass, Lion doesn't eat grass... Now what ?

hehe - apparently such "logic" isn't very sensible. But it IS funny for sure:)

Only thing I wanted to point out in previous post is that syllogistical way of thinking doesn't apply directly to such a different and hardly comparable things like movies. Aspecially with changing conditions :) Too much variables in that equation :)

I hope that rottentomatoes' rating IS an indicator :)

Shrek 2 is well done sequel but do not share the charm of original :) Nomination for SharkTale ? I'm sure it happened by accident... :wink:

cheers
Szymon

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Annies

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2005, 5:14 pm

Shrek 2 barely won anything....darn.... :(

I'm glad Incredibles did well, but they didn't have to stiff SharkTale that way. :x

Oh, and congrats to Disney for winning Destino--I mean LORENZO. Whatever.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 31st, 2005, 9:08 pm

You're a real shill for DreamWorks, aren't you? :wink:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you worked for them!

No surprise to me that The Incredibles swept the Annies. There's very little love lost for DreamWorks films amongst the animation professional crowd.

Sorry, but I think they gave the awards to the film that was technically better in about every way you can think of to Shark Tale and Shrek 2.

Now whether the Oscars will do the same is up in the air... There's precedent for a popular film sequel to win an Academy Award (Godfather Part II, anybody?), but odds are that Shrek 2 won't win the Animated Feature Academy Award, either.

It was fitting for Stan Lee to give an award to Pixar for The Incredibles. In many ways, The Incredibles owes a LOT to the early 1960s Marvel Comics and pays homages to comics like the Fantastic Four and Power Pack.

I think, however, that Stan will be crying after this July when the Fantastic Four movie bombs. Methinks The Incredibles will have been everything the FF movie is shaping up NOT to be. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 31st, 2005, 9:17 pm

I think maybe ShyViolet is Jeffrey Katzenberg. It is apparent that a lot of work and effort went into Shrek 2 and Shark Tale and the people that worked on them deserve credit but when you have an awards ceremony only one movie can win. I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed all three movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » January 31st, 2005, 9:54 pm

I don't like it when one film sweeps an award ceremony (like RotK & Incredibles did) because it makes me believe that they are choosing their favorite film and voting for it in every category. But you know what? I think at the end of the night, I'd rather be part of Shrek 2 which made almost twice as much at the BO. 'Tis better to have the public's support than the critic's support.

Other disappointments was Incredibles win in Music in an Animated Feature Production (the real winner should have been HotR or at least TLK 1.5), Brad Bird's win for voice (he was good, but Tony Anselmo should have won)
Overall, I am happiest that Lorenzo and TLK 1 1/2 won.
-Michael

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 31st, 2005, 11:16 pm

I actually voted for Shark Tale and Shrek 2 in some of the categories as well as The Incredibles but I do think a lot of people just thought, "Incredibles was great! Let's vote for it in every category! Whee!" Hopefully next year the awards will be spread among several movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 1st, 2005, 1:48 pm

askmike1 wrote:Other disappointments was Incredibles win in Music in an Animated Feature Production (the real winner should have been HotR or at least TLK 1.5),
I agree. if HotR should win only one award ever it should be for the music. As much as I love the music in The Incredibles, the soundtrack to HotR is pure sunshine.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 1st, 2005, 2:04 pm

What is odd about the score to The Incredibles is that in most award shows, it either wins or doesn't get nominated at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 1st, 2005, 3:38 pm

GeorgeC wrote:You're a real shill for DreamWorks, aren't you? :wink:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you worked for them!

No surprise to me that The Incredibles swept the Annies. There's very little love lost for DreamWorks films amongst the animation professional crowd.

:
Tell me about it! I swear you wouldn't believe how many times Katzenberg gets dissed on other websites I've been on. (especially animationnation.com)
I still don't get why. What did he do that was so terrible? Because he's an executive? There are plenty of executives at Pixar and other studios. What makes Pixar exempt from ALL BLAME???
BTW I don't work for DW and I'm not Jeff! :lol: I doubt he would pretend to be a GIRL LOL. Like I've said before I just think he's cool. :) Somebody has to support DW for crying out loud.
It might as well be me, because I haven't seen anyone else really speak up for them...
Katzenberg did so much for Disney, but in general the animation crowd pretends he doesn't exist. He didn't do anything wrong. He was instrumental in the revival of Disney. What is wrong with thinking that??
What did Katzenberg do that is so bad?? :?:

Pixar isn't perfect either. Brad Bird said terrible things about Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (even after K praised Nemo as the best movie he saw all year). Note to Brad: Even Thumper knows that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 1st, 2005, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 1st, 2005, 4:18 pm

I can't quite put my finger on Katzenberg but I think the thing with him is he's good when he's surrounded by a good team, but when he's surrounded by a so-so team he's so-so. Not everyone is like that though. I think some people are just plain talentless.