Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2006, 6:19 pm

Well, there's likely 5 nominations this year, so I'd say so too. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » November 4th, 2006, 10:55 pm

Here's the full list, and the five I think will be nominated in bold.

The Ant Bully
Arthur and the Invisibles
Barnyard
Cars
Curious George
Everyone's Hero
Flushed Away
Happy Feet
Ice Age: The Meltdown
Monster House

Open Season
Over the Hedge
Paprika
Renaissance
A Scanner Darkly
The Wild

Though Comingsoon.net made a really good point.

"Arthur and the Invisibles, Happy Feet and Paprika have not yet had their required Los Angeles releases. If any one of the group were not to meet that requirement, the field in the category would fall below 16, the number required to trigger the five-nominee slate. With 15 or fewer contenders, Academy rules allow a maximum of three nominated features"[/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2006, 7:44 am

I think all three of those are good for a release lock though, right?

I'd pretty much agree with your choices, though think Happy Feet might be a surprise inclusion to the detriment of one of the others. George Miller has a lot of Hollywood friends...

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they want to spice it up a bit. I can still see eyebrow raising nods to Curious George and A Scanner Darkly in there. I think Cars and Monster House are a lock though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Minimoy » November 5th, 2006, 9:01 am

KingPopper wrote:Here's the full list, and the five I think will be nominated in bold.
Do you mean that's the full list of animated features of 2006? If so, there are (at least) 3 more animated features from 2006. They are computer-animated films: Free Jimmy, Khan Kluay, Keisarin salaisuus. But perhaps you meant to list only films from the USA, because these 3 films are all from other countries.

I agree that the one's you made bold have a good chance of being nominated. The upcoming "Arthur and the Invisibles" looks promising too.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 5th, 2006, 1:05 pm

The "Locks" are "Flushed Away", "Cars" and "Monster House". I think that "Over the Hedge" has a very good chance as well.

And yes, "Happy Feet" could get a nom, depending on how it's recieved, but I think that "Open Season" has a much better chance than "Ice Age 2" or "A Scanner Darkly".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 5th, 2006, 4:01 pm

I think the locks are Cars, Over the Hedge, and Flushed Away...I was expecting Cars to win, but Flushed Away has been getting good reviews, too, so who knows.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » November 5th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Minimoy wrote:
KingPopper wrote:Here's the full list, and the five I think will be nominated in bold.
Do you mean that's the full list of animated features of 2006? If so, there are (at least) 3 more animated features from 2006. They are computer-animated films: Free Jimmy, Khan Kluay, Keisarin salaisuus. But perhaps you meant to list only films from the USA, because these 3 films are all from other countries.

I agree that the one's you made bold have a good chance of being nominated. The upcoming "Arthur and the Invisibles" looks promising too.
Thats the list I got off the main page.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 6th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Call me stupid, but what exactly IS "Arthur and the Invisibles"?

I've heard the name, but that's all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 6th, 2006, 9:30 pm

It's a movie that looks like a cross between James and the Giant Peach & Ant Bully (without bugs) with a little bit of Artemis Fowl thrown in for good measuer. The trailer's around here somewhere...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 6th, 2006, 10:31 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Ryan4Bryant » November 7th, 2006, 2:57 am

The best animated movie this year was MONSTER HOUSE. Great direction, smart writing, good thrills, loved the whole 80s period, looked terrific in 3D. I haven't seen HAPPY FEET yet and missed DOOGAL, so maybe one of those will top MONSTER. My runner-up was FLUSHED AWAY. Everything else this year has started to blend into one big talking animal...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Minimoy » November 7th, 2006, 6:47 am

Wendy's Jane wrote:Call me stupid, but what exactly IS "Arthur and the Invisibles"?

I've heard the name, but that's all.
"Arthur and the Invisibles" is a partly computer-animated film, and partly life action film. At first the title of the film was "Arthur and the Minimoys", which I find a more appealing title. :wink:
In French the title is "Arthur et les Minimoys".

Besides this site: http://www.arthuretlesminimoys.com/
There is also this one: http://www.arthur-movie.com/

The first release will be on december 13, 2006 (Belgium, France).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2006, 9:54 am

Doogal will never "top Monster House".

Really, forget the awful US dub, which I could BARELY skip through the other day, and pick up the ORIGINAL version, "The Magic Roundabout".

Doogal shouldn't count anyway...it was made three years ago by a European team...not really the right choice for an American award given out for films made in this year. I know it's down to when it's released, but Doogal only got a new dub which only snubbed the original even more.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 8th, 2006, 10:07 am

Doogal will never "top Monster House".
Truer words have never been spoken. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 8th, 2006, 10:16 am

Ben wrote:Doogal will never "top Monster House".

Really, forget the awful US dub, which I could BARELY skip through the other day...
You're lucky - I had to sit through the film in a theatre! And paid good money to do it! The things I do for you guys here...

;)