Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2007, 7:48 am

ShyViolet wrote:No...I haven't seen Bee Movie yet.
Told ya. ;)

ShyViolet wrote:OK, three choices...I'll have to think about it. But Bee Movie's staying there for now!
Not when you see it! ;)

Okay, good points have been made for Persepolis and I am prone to agree with them. I think Ratatouille and Simpsons are pretty much dead certs, and am <I>still</I> wary of which way it could go between them.

While I'd love to see Sony get a bit of encouragement with Surf's Up, it may well have come out too early and not made as much of an impact as it could to stick in voter's minds.

Then again, if Sony are pushing Persepolis as Best Picture, they're in danger of muddying the waters and it might see the film get edged out.

As for "director for hire"...remember that Brad Bird was brought in only after Jan Pinkava's original take didn't run so well. To many, that could be seen as a rescue job if not a hijack, but obviously that side of things doesn't get played up. There could be a little backlash against Bird, even.

ONE thing is for CERTAIN...

This is the most interesting Animated Feature year I think we've had since they began...nothing is a dead cert and won't be even after the final nominations have been announced!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 14th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Wow, makes me kinda think of the last Oscars, remember how totally random all the winners were? :)

Also, although I don't think it was a great movie by any means, I still can't believe Cars didn't win. I was so sure it was the odds-on favorite. It certainly wasn't spectacular, but with all the good reviews for it and goodwill where Pixar is concerned, I still can't believe it lost and that a mostly Mo capped film won. (Happy Feet....wow. :?)

Notice how that's not even an issue this year. Even if Beowulf gets good reviews I don't think it has nearly enough keyframed animation to even be nom'd. There hasn't been any discussion of mo-cap films and Oscars this year so far. (I guess 'cause of the new rules??)

Not when you see it! Wink

Hmmm......OK, I guess I'll weigh in after I see it! :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 14th, 2007, 8:50 pm

I still can't believe it lost and that a mostly Mo capped film won.

Only the dancing sequences were mo-capped.

AGH. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DarrenBest » November 16th, 2007, 4:42 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Notice how that's not even an issue this year. Even if Beowulf gets good reviews I don't think it has nearly enough keyframed animation to even be nom'd. There hasn't been any discussion of mo-cap films and Oscars this year so far. (I guess 'cause of the new rules??)

Not when you see it! Wink

Hmmm......OK, I guess I'll weigh in after I see it! :wink:
Well, as a rule of thumb the animation branch has yet to endorse a motion campture film. They passed on the beautiful and award-winning Waking Life during the inaugural awards, despite wins from the New York Film Critics Circle Awards, and they preferred to honor A Sharke's Tale over The Polar Express.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 16th, 2007, 4:46 pm

I think mo-cap got very due attention with Happy Feet. Even if it <I>was</I> only the dance sequences that were capped, they did vote for that film and not the totally keyframed Cars.

So that does constitute the "endorsement" by the animation Academy's members (Waking Life was also digital rotoscope, not mo-cap or perf-cap).

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DarrenBest » November 16th, 2007, 10:35 pm

Ben wrote:I think mo-cap got very due attention with Happy Feet. Even if it <I>was</I> only the dance sequences that were capped, they did vote for that film and not the totally keyframed Cars.

So that does constitute the "endorsement" by the animation Academy's members (Waking Life was also digital rotoscope, not mo-cap or perf-cap).

:)
See, I don't see it that way at all. When people think of Happy Feet as animation, they're not thinking motion capture.

The reference to Waking Life still applies because it's not a frame-by-frame animation technique and it's significant that it was one of the most acclaimed films of the year, period, but still no nomination in its home category.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DarrenBest » November 27th, 2007, 7:24 pm

Just thought it'd be fun to start keeping a tab on the films in contention for Animated Feature:

Persepolis has just been nominated for Best Foreign Film by the Independent Spirit Awards.

(Persepolis also won the audience award at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 4th, 2007, 11:53 am

Wow. "Surf's Up" got ten Annie noms. That should give the film a boost once the Oscars come around.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 4th, 2007, 3:25 pm

I hope so! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

More Winners!

Post by DarrenBest » December 9th, 2007, 5:44 pm

Nation Board of Review:

Best Animated Feature - Ratatouille
Freedom of Expression Award - Persepolis

Boston Society of Film Critics:

Best Screenplay - Brad Bird, Ratatouille

Los Angeles Film Critics Association:

Best Animated Feature - (tie) Persepolis and Ratatouille

Golden Satellite Nominations:

Best Motion Picture - Animated or Mixed Media
Persepolis
The Simpsons Movie
The Golden Compass
Ratatouille
Beowulf

New York Film Critics Online:

Best Foreign Language Film - (tie) The Lives of Others and Persepolis
Best Animated Feature - Persepolis

Washington DC Film Critics:

Best Animated Feature - Ratatouille

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

More Winners

Post by DarrenBest » December 11th, 2007, 12:37 am

New York Film Critics Circle:

Best Animated Feature - Persepolis

Chicago Film Critics:

Best Animated Feature (nominees)
Beowulf
Meet the Robinsons
Persepolis
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie

AV Founder
AV Founder

2008 Oscar Thread

Post by James » January 22nd, 2008, 8:15 am

Nominations announcement should be any minute...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 22nd, 2008, 8:44 am

Best Animated Film: Persepolis. Ratatouille, Surf’s Up

Ratatouille was also nominated for Best Original Screenplay

Full list of animated nominees here: http://www.animated-news.com/2008/2008- ... announced/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » January 22nd, 2008, 9:04 am

Ratatouille is also nominated for Best Score, Best Sound and Best SOund Editing!!!!

WOOHOOOOO!!!!!

And not to forget: 3 Song Nominations for Enchanted!
And no love for Tim Burton!!!!

So now....

RATATOUILLE VS. PERSEPOLIS
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 22nd, 2008, 9:06 am

All three of the nominees are fine, deserving films.

But I wish there had been a way to fit Meet the Robinsons in with them, somewhere .. :(