News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » January 24th, 2009, 2:07 am

Sorry, I meant in the animated shorts category

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 24th, 2009, 6:40 am

I'm pretty sure the same rules apply for the shorts. They must have had their debut in a cinema some time during the year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 24th, 2009, 2:18 pm

Ben wrote:No, I saw both of them and said that Persto wasn't any good. You better read that again.

As for why the bunny can't bleed? Um, it's because he's a <I>cartoon</I>.
Presto wasn't good then :wink:.
I was talking about the magician,the bunny could have killed him.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 24th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:I was talking about the magician,the bunny could have killed him.
Somebody rent this guy some old Warner Bros Looney Tunes DVDs stat!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I was expecting A Matter Of Loaf And Death to show up for sure (as mentioned in my review).

Yes, every Oscar hopeful must have been issued as a theatrical release in the LA area at the very least, and I would have expected the BBC or Aardman's US distributors (whom I would currently assume to be Sony) to get this playing in at least one LA theater in order to qualify.

Bizarrely, once a film has had even a limited run in LA it doesn't matter if the majority of voters see the film <I>after</I> that event in any other format, so Aardman could have had Loaf And Death play for a week in one theater and then either sent out DVD screeners or played the film on TV during January and still been in with a nomination chance.

It won't be up for next year's (2010) Oscars as the copyright date is clearly 2008 ans its official premiere debut was December 25th 2008. Then again, it could be when a movie is actually released on that LA screen, so theoretically it could be that they're holding it back from official US release until later in 2009. If it hasn't yet played theatrically in LA, then I guess they could still play it theatrically in late 2009 and have it qualify for the 2010 awards.

It wouldn't be the first time a film from over a year before has been "split" across voting timeframes between the Oscars and other award recognisers (such as the Baftas, Annies, etc).

Anyhoo...I did expect it to show up, but didn't expect a win, again as I say in the review:
http://animated-views.com/2008/wallace- ... and-death/

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 24th, 2009, 7:36 pm

According to wikipedia, here is why A Matter Of Loaf And Death didn't get nominated this year
The late completion of the film, after 1st October 2008, put it out of the running for an Academy Award for Animated Short Film nomination until 2010,
So from the sounds of it, it will be in the running for nomination next year. As long as it spends a week in a Los Angeles theatre. And since the Academy loves Wallace & Gromit I'm sure it will get a nod.
Ben wrote:It won't be up for next year's (2010) Oscars as the copyright date is clearly 2008 ans its official premiere debut was December 25th 2008.
I don't think copyright has anything to do with it. Spirited Away won it's OSCAR a year after it's copyright date. And Jessica Lange won a Best Actress Award for Blue Sky for a movie that sat on a shelf for 4 years. And Charlie Chaplin won his only OSCAR (for music in fact) for a movie that was something like 10-15 years old because it was eligible as it had never been shown in LA. The crazy rules of the academy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Hey Bill...yep I did go on in my message above (in the next line infact) to suppose that it could be in the running for 2010, for the reasons you've quoted. Looks like that will be the case. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 24th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Ya know, I honestly would have given up either Bolt or Kung Fu Panda if Horton Hears a Who could have been nominated. I was seriously completely blown away by HOW good it was, and how well it did things from the book (specifically, the field of clovers and the WE ARE HERE finale). At the very LEAST I would have liked to have seen it get nominated for best score.

It got completely overlooked :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2009, 9:36 pm

I agree Mac. As good as I feel that it's great to see a bona fide Disney movie back in serious competition, as I said on the front page no-one was genuinely thinking "Oscar" when they talked Bolt.

The third spot was always going to go to Horton, so Bolt was a true surprise. I loved Horton and how it was translated from the book, as well as Blue Sky's absolutely awesome animation. It's just a case of there being some very good animated films to emerge this year from the big hitters of CG animation, and Horton was easily the best screen interpretation of a Seuss story I've yet seen.

I'm really, really hoping they go ahead and make another Horton, or continue going through Seuss material for another similarly themed film. Maybe then that one will get the kudos this Horton so very much deserved.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 25th, 2009, 3:49 am

I"m glad that both Bolt and KFP are there.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 25th, 2009, 12:10 pm

I think that "Bolt" probably got a huge boost thanks to its Golden Globe nomination.

But yeah, it's kinda sad that "Horton" didn't get a nod. It was a wonderful little film.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 26th, 2009, 5:55 am

Horton was nice yes.

But did you guys see the same film I saw? They did a horrendous Dreamworks ending where all the characters got together to sing a song. I mean, "I can't fight this feeling anymore"?.... seriously? The whole movie was so beautiful and the ending.. was just awful.

why not end it like the book? I'm pretty sure in the book, the mayor of whoville finds a speck himself, also with an entire civilization living on it.

Kung Fu Panda and WALL-E were better films. I have yet to see Bolt though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 26th, 2009, 7:36 am

Blue Sky's animators and artists completely 'nailed' the look of Dr. Seuss with Horton Hears A Who.

But, IMO, the voice cast utterly failed to capture the feel of Dr. Seuss.

Pop-song ending aside, Carrey's manic performance of Horton's voice overall felt 'off' when compared with the 'timid-yet-determined' character in the book .. and other characters, such as Seth Rogen's Morton, had a far too modern 'attitude'. Carol Burnett's kangaroo and Will Arnett's Vlad were nicely-performed, though .. as was Steve Carell's Mayor (and all of the Whos, actually).

But it just isn't 'Dr. Seuss', unless the characters speak in rhyme. :idea:

All-in-all .. (again, just IMO) Horton Hears A Who was a 'mixed-bag', at best. :?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 26th, 2009, 10:16 am

Amen on Seuss, Droo...

Amen on Seuss. :cry:

The best Seuss adaptations are still the late 1960s "Grinch" by Chuck Jones and Boris Karloff and the early 1970s TV specials such as "Green Eggs and Ham" and "The Cat in the Hat."

What's come since then just isn't worth filling an inflight airline "emergency panic" bag.

("Emergency panic" being a euphemism for people who can't hold their lunch in-flight.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Adam » January 26th, 2009, 10:28 am

As much as I'm elated with the Bolt nomination (it's great to have a Disney film in the running after five years), I'm a little saddened by the omission of Waltz With Bashir. Everyone seems to ask, why so little "serious" animation? The snub suggests that not even American animators are quite ready to use their medium to tackle "serious" non-kiddie subject matter. I mean, this is a pretty major film, the first animated Best Picture winner of the National Society of Film Critics Award, and still no dice from it home turf category. :cry: