Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 26th, 2009, 9:12 am

OK, I understand what you're saying Bill. I agree. I don't think they're really trying to cut time from the show. What they're really saying when they do that is that they're cutting away non-show aspects.

I should commend the orchestra this year for being on the stage and for not cutting out most people's speeches. It was really annoying last year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 27th, 2009, 3:39 pm

The part with WALL-E was new or just scenes with movies editing it? I didn't really liked it,it whould have been better if WALL-E was announcing the winner like Belle and the Beast did.
I liked Huge Jackman's opening,it was pretty funny,Beyonce's outfit was... weird,and in the musicals part were those Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 27th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:The part with WALL-E was new or just scenes with movies editing it? I didn't really liked it,it whould have been better if WALL-E was announcing the winner like Belle and the Beast did.
I liked Huge Jackman's opening,it was pretty funny,Beyonce's outfit was... weird,and in the musicals part were those Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens?.
How exactly would Wall-E announce the winner? He doesn't speak! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 28th, 2009, 9:34 am

But he does say "Eva","W-A-L-L-E","take" and etc.
Maybe the robot they had for the premires?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » February 28th, 2009, 11:25 am

Once Upon A Dream wrote:I liked Huge Jackman's opening,it was pretty funny
Well, looks like you got to see a little more than anyone else :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 28th, 2009, 11:44 am

What do you mean? you don't think it was good?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 1st, 2009, 1:56 am

Could someone explain to me why only 3 animated films were allowed to be voted on for Oscars out of what, 16 possibilities? Most of the categories, it seems, have a solid 5 choices for each award - but some have less. Why?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 1st, 2009, 2:07 am

The rules for the Animated Feature category states that if less than 16 films are presented for consideration than only 3 films will be nominated. If more than 15 films are presented for consideration than 5 films will be nominated. But for the Category to be contested at least 8 films must be released

Only once since it's inception has there been 5 nominees in the Animated Films category - the year Spirited Away won. The other nominees were Treasure Planet, Lilo & Stitch, Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron and Ice Age. And incidently this makes Spirited Away the only traditionally animated film to receive the Oscars in this category.

Apparently this year there could have been 5 nominees but some studios only presented 1 film for consideration thereby reducing the field to less than 16.

The films that were presented for consideration were:

Wall-E
Kung Fu Panda
Waltz with Bashir
Bolt
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
The Tale of Despereaux
Horton Hears a Who!
$9.99
Igor
Dragon Hunters
The Sky Crawlers
Sword of the Stranger
Delgo
Fly Me to the Moon

Making a grand total of 14 films and therefore the 3 Nominees rules come into effect
Last edited by Bill1978 on March 1st, 2009, 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 1st, 2009, 2:11 am

Hmm. I wonder how many will make it next year? I'm calling these now:

Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea
The Princess and the Frog
Up
Coraline
A Christmas Carol

... a diverse collection. 2D, anime, CGI, motion-capture, and stop motion. Could this year see 5 films up for voting? DreamWorks and BlueSky will have films to offer, as well. Fantastic Mr. Fox is coming. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs... big year.

Anyways, thanks for the explanation.

Does that rule apply to ALL categories? Could there ever be more than 5 up for voting?
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 1st, 2009, 2:18 am

5 is always the maximum number for any category. Each category has it's own little rules. For examples the Visual Effects says only 3 ever get nominated regardless of how many films are presented.

The Original Song category says that the eventual nominees must score a certain average from the qualified song voting committee to get nominated so technically that category can flucuate every year, but still only have a maximum of 5.

For this year you also have 9 and Astro Boy. There is Ice Age 3 and Monsters Vs Aliens, Planet 5, Battle For Terra. Which brings the total to at least 13. So that means the category is definitely going to be around next year. Technically this year Disney could release Ghibli's Tales From Earthsea as well. Throw in some other non-US films like the list has from last year and technically we could see 5 nominees

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 1st, 2009, 2:34 am

I wish they'd just make it one number for all categories regardless of the number of nominees. I am a bit OCD about consistency. All these little rules regarding numbers of nominations, and exceptions to the rules, etc. bother me.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2009, 11:18 am

That's not the only thing you're OCD about, Neal... ;)

BTW...there WAS special animation of WALL-E: the clip had him find an Oscar statuette in the rubble, which he threw away to keep the videotape, as he did in the film. Instead of Hello Dolly, this was labeled Academy Awards Animation, and when played it served up this year's nominees and other released films in 2008. When it was over, he turned around and many major characters from those other films had joined him in the storage unit, where they all looked a little bemused to all be standing together.

The credits confirmed the package had been produced by Pixar. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 1st, 2009, 11:40 am

Ben wrote:That's not the only thing you're OCD about, Neal... ;)
Really? That's news to me. :P

And, I saw the Oscars. I saw that montage. It was part of why I asked. They showed all these animated films from last year and only three end up eligible for the Oscar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 1st, 2009, 2:24 pm

Ben wrote:BTW...there WAS special animation of WALL-E: the clip had him find an Oscar statuette in the rubble, which he threw away to keep the videotape, as he did in the film. Instead of Hello Dolly, this was labeled Academy Awards Animation, and when played it served up this year's nominees and other released films in 2008. When it was over, he turned around and many major characters from those other films had joined him in the storage unit, where they all looked a little bemused to all be standing together.
So it was new? or recycled?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 1st, 2009, 2:36 pm

It was a mix, I'm assuming. It's scenes of WALL-E roving around trash piles (recycled) but when he opens the fridge, in place of the boot with the plant, it's an old VHS tape.

The recycled scenes of him watching "Hello Dolly" were modified to have it be all the other animated movies from last year on screen.