Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 1st, 2009, 3:14 pm

Oh,they should make it all new,in any case I thought it was weak.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » March 2nd, 2009, 7:43 pm

Neal wrote:I wish they'd just make it one number for all categories regardless of the number of nominees. I am a bit OCD about consistency. All these little rules regarding numbers of nominations, and exceptions to the rules, etc. bother me.
This rule is applied so that if there is a bumper year for animated films, that this gets recognized. However, there isn't a minimum number of films, hence the inconsistency. I believe, actually, that in this category, there is a selection committee that watches all the submissions and a panel votes on them. Even with enough films, the committee might find that there weren't five great films. The same thing happens in the best song category.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Five animated films to be nominated for Oscar

Post by estefan » November 11th, 2009, 1:23 pm

http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=14786

This has been such an awesome year for animated films and I doubt they could have only fit in three nominees.

“Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel”
“Astro Boy”
“Battle for Terra”
“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”
“Coraline”
“Disney’s A Christmas Carol”
“The Dolphin – Story of a Dreamer”
“Fantastic Mr. Fox”
“Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs”
“Mary and Max”
“The Missing Lynx”
“Monsters vs. Aliens”
“9”
“Planet 51”
“Ponyo”
“The Princess and the Frog”
“The Secret of Kells”
“Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure”
“A Town Called Panic”
“Up”

Up, The Princess and the Frog, Ponyo and Coraline are pretty much shoe-ins. For the final spot, I think it's going to be either Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Mary & Max or Fantastic Mr Fox.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 11th, 2009, 1:40 pm

...Uh, you did notice "Ice Age 3" up there?

(Not meant to be a compliment to IA3, but rather a frightened appraisal of the inexplicable godlike power the franchise has over its followers...
Yes, even over the rare Kung Fu Panda-like mass appreciation Dreamworks managed to earn this time around for Monsters vs. Aliens.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 11th, 2009, 2:03 pm

GO ALVIN!!!!

btw, what's Tinker Bell doing on there? I thought that DTV titles weren't allowed to compete.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 11th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Tink must have had a limited relase, at least in LA.

And I wouldn't quibble with which films (e.g. IA3) are elegible. It's not a reflection on their quality, just that they were released. They all helped for 5 films to qualify for nominations.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 11th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Yes, TinkerBell and the Lost Treasure played at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood for a couple of weeks, during September.

As Randall said, I'm glad Disney submitted it -- especially considering they'd already had three other features in contention (or four, if you count Ponyo as 'theirs') -- since, at the very least, it helped to bring the top prize within reach of a couple more films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 11th, 2009, 7:10 pm

It's great to see that The Secret of Kells has arranged for an Oscar-qualifying L.A. engagement**, as well as a (slightly) wider U.S. release next year (it will also have at least one screening at this month's CTN-X convention in Burbank).

I managed to catch TSoK at the L.A. Irish Film Festival last month, and enjoyed it immensely. Its unconventional subject matter (at least for western animation) is presented with 'conventional' storytelling, but blended with a nearly-abstract visual style (which, IMO, captured the spirit of medieval 'pre-perspective' artwork more successfully even than Disney's Sleeping Beauty).

Definitely 'highly-recommended' to anyone who can find it playing nearby, next year .. :)

I'd also love to see it among the 'chosen five' .. but the competition for those slots looks to be pretty stiff. Which is a good thing!

** one show per day, at the Burbank AMC 8..?! That's a 'teeny-tiny' shopping mall cinema! :o Oh, well, as long as it qualifies ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 11th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Alvin is eligible??? Soooo..... That means a film doesn't even have to have animation as it's primary medium in order to qualify?

Hmm... :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TinTinV » November 11th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Check out this composite I made of ALL 20 films!

It really makes you feel great about all the animated films that have come out & will be releasing later this year! I mean seriously, what a strong year it’s been for animation!

I’ve got a feeling it’ll end up going to:

“Coraline”
“UP”
“Ponyo”
“Fantastic Mr.Fox”
“The Princess & The Frog”

GREAT year for Disney, not so much for Dreamworks. :-\ As much as I would LOVE to see Mary & Max or Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs make the list, I just don’t feel the academy would let them overule the 5 that I had mentioned.

A Henry Selick film going unnoticed? Unlikely. Pixar? Locked. Hayao Miyazaki’s newest (whom is also ON the board)? Locked. Disney’s return to form? LOCKED. Fox is the underdog here, let’s be honest…

Though some surprises would be nice, I’d be fine with the list if it were still those five…gosh, FIVE! :-D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 12th, 2009, 3:30 am

Um, wouldn't it be better to, y'know, wait until Fantastic Mr. Fox comes out before praising it to the skies and etching its Oscar invitations?

Yes, we know, it's got Neato Different-Looking Animation, but once the characters open their mouths, it's left me........underwhelmed. :/
Which ain't exactly going to stand in the way of the BlueSky and Dreamworks big-money.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 12th, 2009, 4:34 am

Consider that Fantastic Mr. Fox is directed by Wes Anderson .. whom the Academy view as 'One of Their Own'. That certainly can be a factor which trumps perceived animation 'quality' (see: George Miller with Happy Feet).

Having myself enjoyed several of Mr. Anderson's previous films despite the fact that they were live-action, ;) I'm looking forward to seeing FMF, regardless of its Oscar chances. But I will allow that it has as good a chance as any other animated feature released this year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 12th, 2009, 6:16 am

I think what could potentially hurt Fantastic Mr Fox's chances is that because animators typically vote for the nominees in this category, they could be annoyed by the fact he was never actually "on set" during the filming. Even his director-of-photography complained about him being in France while they were shooting!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2009, 8:45 am

Here's our full take on this <I>Fantastic</I> animated film:

http://animatedviews.com/2009/fantastic-mr-fox-film/

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 12th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Yay!

I hope for Mr. Fox, The Missing Lynx or Ice Age 3 to win over Up!