Writers Strike is Over

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 12th, 2008, 4:24 pm

I believe that they start work again on Wednesday.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 12th, 2008, 7:59 pm

Yeah, that's last I've heard on the subject - if all goes according to plan. And I really hope it does.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 13th, 2008, 11:45 am

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 16th, 2008, 3:22 am

Rest In Peace: Writers Strike
2007-2008.

:)

Shame that some shows won't even come back 'till next fall, though - Heroes and 24. (?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 16th, 2008, 1:56 pm

I haven't watched Heroes this season, but I read somewhere that the writers saw the strike coming and ended the last episode in such a way that it could logically serve as the season finale if it had to. Supposedly Smallville did that too (athough, again, I haven't watched it. I don't get CW where I live so I've had to follow that show on dvd).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 17th, 2008, 6:54 am

As we understand it here (in the UK), Season 2 is choppy: they stared off with the first four-six episodes building the series' story arc, and when the strike was announced, basically attempted to wrap it up in the next few episodes that were left.

I think that's it for Season 2...they won't "continue" it, and the jury is still out on if there's even going to be a Season 3. I think the Origins project is dead too. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Here we go again...

Post by James » June 24th, 2008, 12:51 am

Actors strike eminent?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 52825.html
The contract dispute, this time between the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and their white-collar bosses, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP), is causing what industry experts have called a "virtual strike".

Production deadlines for dozens of major projects have been scrapped amid growing signs that the SAG, which has 120,000 members, will fail to resolve its dispute before a deadline for industrial action on Tuesday next week.

Most major film shoots are now either being put on hold, or wrapping-up early to avoid disruption.

"No one is doing anything that finishes after 30 June, and nobody's starting anything now," one lawyer representing actors told The Hollywood Reporter. "This is the impact of a strike already."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 24th, 2008, 2:24 am

Thankfully, I'm working on 'non-union' productions (and I'm not a union worker myself), so I should be mostly 'unaffected' if a strike occurs.

However, the same cannot be said for many film/tv industry workers in L.A. .. most of whom are still trying to recover from the work stoppage earlier this year (and it wasn't just writers; workers at all levels of production were laid-off, for three months or more .. and, since we're currently 'between' TV seasons, many still haven't started back to work).

SAG 'honored' the WGA picket lines, however .. so the WGA will be expected to return in kind, and stop work again for as long as a SAG strike may last.

I think the prevailing hope here is that the strike is averted in an 'eleventh-hour' deal.

Certainly, another 'multi-month' strike would be very damaging to the Hollywood industry worker base (I personally know several colleagues who are on the verge of having to 'give up' careers in which they've invested a couple of decades or more). The end result of which could mean even more 'major studio' film/tv work being 'outsourced' to other countries .. where Hollywood's unions have no say, whatsoever. :?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 24th, 2008, 4:32 am

Heh.

You'd think that by now the union heads would understand how bad the economy really is and why it's in everybody's best interests NOT to strike now!

Estimates were that the Writers Guild Strike cost California at least $2.1 billion but we can all guess that's a lowball estimate. I'm sure it's more than that when you count in the permanent damage it's done to networks in lost revenues for the past year, the lost audience shares, and of course lost work opportunities for people who had to strike whether they wanted to or not.

The TV season is screwed up for this next year at least. Pilot seasons and pick-ups were postponed or cancelled outright. A SAG strike will result in at least another year stricken if it lasts as long as the writers' strike.

And people think only the old guys like Ed McMahon could lose their home? Ha!

Bad planning. Really, really bad planning.

Fingers can be pointed at the top for being greedy, but when you're only a month or two away from blowing a mortgage and losing your home, that check doesn't look so bad...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 24th, 2008, 11:16 am

I personally know several colleagues who are on the verge of having to 'give up' careers in which they've invested a couple of decades or more
Wow.... That must be horrible. :(

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 25th, 2008, 10:56 pm

droosan wrote: I think the prevailing hope here is that the strike is averted in an 'eleventh-hour' deal.

Hopefully sanity prevails over the morons in SAG that want to scuttle the proposals made by the other actors' union.

The economy is just too bad to play a militant and hope things get better after 3 months. It's sheer stupidity to do a walkout when the entertainment industry still hasn't fully recovered from the LAST strike.

Of course, explaining that to self-involved multimillionaires who couldn't give a damn about anybody else is pretty futile...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 23rd, 2008, 12:28 am

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081122/D94K99N81.html

They're at it again!

SAG leaders are trying to mobilize the troops to strike in the middle of a recession after the latest rounds of negotiations with producers failed...

Man, these people are idiots!

I know all about the residual deals and the ongoing war between the motion picture producers and actors' union but this is a really, really bad move and nobody's going to earn respect from the average joe on the street.

Unions like this are basically frowned on by the average person who doesn't get all the perks that the top boys and gals in the entertainment industry do.

Middle America will lose no sleep over this for sure!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 23rd, 2008, 4:06 pm

Not again :?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 23rd, 2008, 4:33 pm

All I have to say is "ugh"!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 24th, 2008, 1:03 am

The public is going to be striking soon. Was going to see Madagascar 2 in IMAX last week with the family but tickets ALONE would have been $60 for a matinee! Ended up going to the regular screening and was still over $60 with just 2 small popcorns and 4 drinks!