Garry Shandling dead at 66

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Garry Shandling dead at 66

Post by Dacey » March 24th, 2016, 5:17 pm

Well, this was certainly sudden...

http://tvline.com/2016/03/24/garry-shan ... show-dies/

He didn't do much acting in movies, unfortunately, but I always loved his Verne the turtle in Over the Hedge, and he was perfectly cast as Senator Stern in the two Marvel movies in which he played him.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Garry Shandling dead at 66

Post by EricJ » March 24th, 2016, 7:01 pm

The only time I ever got to watch a studio-audience taping was for "It's Garry Shandling's Show" (and no, it wasn't the "You can use the living-room set while I'm out" episode.)
Absolute genius--And I'm not just saying that because he's dead...This was one of the last great influential sitcoms of the 80's.
he was perfectly cast as Senator Stern in the two Marvel movies in which he played him.
He was supposed to be a whiny, repressed, comic-foil Senator in IM2, but it was because he was such a great self-deprecating neo-Jack Benny who could only play himself that when we got that CA2 twist...Garry, NO!! :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Garry Shandling dead at 66

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2016, 8:25 pm

Such a bolt out of the blue, my brain played catch-up when this news came through. I was just literally talking to someone the other day about Shandling, and we had Zoolander on earlier today (he makes a quick but funny cameo).

His spoof talk-show, the basis for the current Muppets program among many other things, was the first "meta documentary" for television that wasn't at all what it purported to be. Even the visual stocks were different between the "behind the scenes" footage and the "broadcast show". Clever stuff, I'm not sure he really got the full credit that deserved, although his name does still seem to be immensely recognised even now.