The John Lasseter saga

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Re: The John Lasseter saga

Post by Dacey » February 25th, 2021, 1:35 pm

Bee Movie was more than nine years after Antz.

And Antz wasn't aimed at children. Apart from four action figures that were made, the general consensus from almost ALL critics was that it was intended for adults.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 25th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Dacey wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 1:35 pm
Bee Movie was more than nine years after Antz.
And the imaginary person in Dacey's head who said it wasn't now cringes with shame. :oops:
Dacey wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 1:35 pm
And Antz wasn't aimed at children. Apart from four action figures that were made, the general consensus from almost ALL critics was that it was intended for adults.
Antz wasn't aimed at children, it was aimed at Pixar.
From a studio that didn't seem to know any KIND of humor besides adult-wisecracking network sitcom humor, and wouldn't functionally know how to appeal to a 9-10 yo. if someone put a gun to their head and forced them to.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 25th, 2021, 4:20 pm

It was aimed at adults, but there were many things kids could enjoy (ie: the funny wasp couple, even if they didn’t know what “WASPs” were).

That’s the way of quite a few live-action adult-aimed films. That’s like saying humor in every live-action film is of the “adult sitcom” and “wisecracking” type.

Also, the film may very well have been produced to compete with Pixar, but it was extremely entertaining nonetheless.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 25th, 2021, 4:25 pm

From the studio that brought you a kids' movie with Jerry Seinfeld, a kids' movie with Woody Allen. :roll:
The implication from this statement is that Bee Movie came first.

Antz wasn't aimed at children. Or aimed at Pixar...whatever that even means.

Kids loved Shrek, Shrek 2, Shark Tale, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar 2, Monsters Vs. Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, Megamind, Kung Fu Panda 2, Madagascar 3, Kung Fu Panda 3, Trolls, and several others I'm not mentioning here.

As for the imaginary person inside of Dacey's head, don't worry about him. I hear he got banned from the forum years ago.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 25th, 2021, 8:01 pm

Dacey wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 4:25 pm
Or aimed at Pixar...whatever that even means.
Well, think star Sharon Stone cleared up some of the ambiguity at the premiere, when she red-carpet joked "Hey, Pixar, we got a word for you: 'RAAAIIID!!'"

(Gee, wonder whatever happened to her career after Basic Instinct 2? :roll: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Sadly, I remember a theatre chain over here trying to sell Antz as "the sequel to A Bug's Life", as if they could make a film like that in under six months. I also wondered how many younger kids then came out of it totally perplexed!

As for Ms Stone, her career was in the dumpster *before* Basic Instinct 2, which is why she *agreed* to Basic Instinct 2!

Funny story: I was once involved in something with David Morrissey and they were putting together the press pack bio. Very subtly but clearly, he listed three or four credits he’d like highlighted, but I distinctly can remember hearing him say, "you can leave off Basic Instinct 2". Nothing else was said. We all knew. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 27th, 2022, 3:18 pm

Very interested in seeing Brad Bird’s Ray Gunn, but I can’t help but wonder, if Lasetter’s name will be on it as producer, how will it affect the film’s marketing?

(Not quite sure…do we have a Ray Gunn thread?)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 27th, 2022, 4:08 pm

Not recent, but close enough.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 27th, 2022, 5:53 pm

Doing it at Skydance, eh? Interesting. I too look forward to seeing it done, finally.
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-fil ... 13574.html
Too bad that Skydance's films look to be headed to Apple+. :(

As for Vi's question... When Skydance hired Lasseter, they knew his name would have to come up in the publicity of the films he produced, but they don't have to highlight it. I'm not sure how much the public realizes about why Lasseter left Disney/Pixar, but I figure his name won't be trumpeted too much, as it would only invite commentary.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 28th, 2022, 1:10 am

Very excited to watch a passion project from one of my favorite directors on a six-inch screen someday, as movies were intended to be watched.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2022, 3:42 am

Ah, the Tom Hanks argument! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 28th, 2022, 7:25 am

Would you rather watch it on a six inch screen or, as every other Hollywood studio intended for this project, not at all? ;)

Seriously though, AppleTV+ is available on the titular device and just about every other streaming device from other companies (like Roku) so no reason not to watch on your own big small screen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2022, 4:45 pm

Or your own small big screen…! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 28th, 2022, 4:54 pm

James wrote:
February 28th, 2022, 7:25 am
Would you rather watch it on a six inch screen or, as every other Hollywood studio intended for this project, not at all? ;)
Seriously though, AppleTV+ is available on the titular device and just about every other streaming device from other companies (like Roku) so no reason not to watch on your own big small screen.
Proof of the fact that studios were so determined to force the square peg of "Why MP3 replaced CD music" into the round hole of "Why Digital has to replace Blu-ray, y'know, 'cause it just hasta!" living-room home theater, is that you WILL NOT ever see any language from the streaming companies that ever suggests we're watching the new Golden Age of Streaming in our homes. In their minds, the Roku, AppleTV and Playstation 3 never existed.
They're iron-clad convinced we're watching every binge series on our iPhone on the bus commute, because we want our movies "On the go"...Just like our old iPod playlists. Even when we do see ads of folks watching it at home, it's on the phone or tablets.

(Granted, most of that is in corporate crossover-deal connection with Big Phone, who is always willing to sell their customers free subscriptions to streaming services, if it means they'll burn through their expensive mobile-data plans in short order.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2022, 5:20 pm

Quibi begs to differ… ;)