AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by EricJ » August 23rd, 2019, 9:43 pm

gaastra wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 6:52 pm
Ms marvel show coming to Disney plus.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... eakingnews
AND the long-awaited She-Hulk. :mrgreen:

(Although, since this is one of the cheap, dreary over-wrought made-for-streaming TV series, they'll probably kiss up to the Captain Marvel "Empowerment" audience, and turn her into Jessica Jones doing Bill Bixby grimaces, and not the sassy legal-eagle Jenny we know and love.
They've kicked out all the gloomy old Netflix show-runners right?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 23rd, 2019, 9:47 pm

Moon knight just confirmed also confirmed they WILL show in in the films and can still get a movie in the future!

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/08/24 ... -punisher/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 24th, 2019, 4:33 am

Still, the Lady And The Tramp trailer drop does show that Disney is eyeing all this stuff as *TV* and not on the level of the films, as Netflix does. A movie on Netflix is still a movie, but a movie on Disney+ is television. My hope of seeing some big stuff got a little diminished just now, realising that it’s mostly going to be Disney Channel type stuff we get made as originals.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 24th, 2019, 8:11 am

Spider-man and his amazing friends returns---as a Disney jr show! Poor iceman and firestar are replaced with miles and spider-gwen.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/marvel ... 203310857/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 24th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Trailer for the service:

Pretty amazing! Didn't convince me, but it's nice. Aside from the new exclusives, I already own what's shown or if I don't, they show it on TV all the time!

Nice try Disney, you were Almost There. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 24th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Yeah. I think I was more impressed by the early Blu-ray promos for the diverse product. This is a lot focused on just the core brands and could have been properly spiced up by including much more obscure classic stuff and family Fox stuff, which would really explode the wow factor, as in "they have EVERYthing here!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 24th, 2019, 10:05 pm

gaastra wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 8:11 am
Spider-man and his amazing friends returns---as a Disney jr show! Poor iceman and firestar are replaced with miles and spider-gwen.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/marvel ... 203310857/
I'm guessing this was before Disney/Fox was allowed to use two X-mutants, which wasn't a problem back in 1982.

Telling thing about the presentation is that D23 rolled out the Disney+ shows as "Marvel Phase IV".
Suggesting that this is the new basket they're putting their eggs in, in case "The Eternals" drops it for the movie company, and the rest of the MCU movies are going to be winging it and cleaning up old memos.
(And judging from the "Eternals Preview at the Studios park", they're doubling-down and going all in on The One You've Never Heard Of.
At least with Guardians and Ant-Man, they had a plan for what they were doing...)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 25th, 2019, 5:00 am

It cracks me up that you keep thinking The Eternals is going to tank. Have you seen the cast? Do you realise how Marvel markets their films?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 25th, 2019, 11:18 am

Having actually attended the D+ presentation, I think you are not receiving the full picture from reading news reports. Madalorian is being done as feature quality, for example. There will be a ton of Disney Channel content, too, not just tween shows but things like full series of many animated shows. All seasons of Simpsons, too. Many original movies, many of which do seem more like DTV/TV product, as would be expected, really Too early to know how She-Hulk will be, but do not be surprised if it is more lighthearted. WandaVision is inspired by the Dick Van Dyke show, crossed with epic action. No kidding. Plus, lots of National Geographic and plenty of Fox content, at least in time. If the launch does not excite, then give it time.

For me, the Marvel shows alone make it worth it. And remember all this is just at roll out. More will be added over time, hopefully classic 50s and 60s content, but time will tell. Disney is marketing what they think will make the masses excited (animated classics, Marvel, and Star Wars, including films many of us die hards own already), but they may offer much more (one hopes!).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 25th, 2019, 4:20 pm

D23 members had a chance to sign up early with a special discount price of $3.92 a month! (IF they agree to a 3-year commitment) Not too bad. If I had the opportunity maybe. It's nice knowing you would at least be locked into that price, since this will no doubt increase. A dollar one year, 3.50 the next and so on.

All moot I guess if they add some truly classic material. Right now not much is jumping out at me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 25th, 2019, 8:54 pm

Randall wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 11:18 am
Too early to know how She-Hulk will be, but do not be surprised if it is more lighthearted.
In the comics, She-Hulk had a mixed reputation:
The first Stan Lee comic (since Kenneth Johnson was producing the Lou Ferrigno show, his last hit had been the Bionic Woman spinoff, and Lee reportedly said "We'd better do one before HE tries to...") tried to play the "serious" angle of Jennifer Walters changing back and forth--"How can I keep this terrible secret from my fiancee'?"--and became one of Marvel's most fan-notorious FLOPS.
Waste not, want not; they kept the heroine around to help out the Fantastic Four and Avengers, where her alter ego developed a taste for wisecracks, and the now full-time She-Hulk is one of the Great Marvel Wiseasses, alongside Peter Parker, Tony Stark and Deadpool. (Whose fourth-wall act of talking to the reader/artist the green Ms. Walters did FIRST, thank you...)

Which one are we getting? Given TV demographics and budget, think they're going back to the beginning and giving us Lee's tortured-yet-"empowered" career woman. Yes, THAT comic, the older one the later She-Hulk held up and threatened to tear up our X-Men if we didn't read her new one. :lol:
Which also sounds dangerously like that DC "Wonder Businesswoman" show we never got.
WandaVision is inspired by the Dick Van Dyke show, crossed with epic action. No kidding.

It's inspired by "Happy whitebread 50's sitcoms" (since a generation now wants to punish all sitcoms ever made as being part of Their Parent's' Shameful Non-Streaming TV), of which Dick Van Dyke is most emphatically NOT one. :x
Not that such distinctions were taken into account when someone pitched a "Wanda and Vision are married" show.
Ben wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 5:00 am
It cracks me up that you keep thinking The Eternals is going to tank. Have you seen the cast? Do you realise how Marvel markets their films?
...WHO THE FREAKIN' HELL are these characters?? (And I flatter myself I'm not the only one asking.)
At least Guardians of the Galaxy had rabid Rocket & Groot fans from the print comics, Ant-Man had legacy fans amazed at the perfect casting of angry Michael Douglas as angry Dr. Pym, and alongside Dr. Strange, all had larger roles to play in the Grand Avengers Scheme.
All three also had the reader advantage of actually appearing in Avengers comics in the last twenty or thirty years.

But now Marvel's basically winging it, pulling up any hero out of the dustbin to fit in with Marketing Idea A or B of the moment, and they're still trying to find a new "X-Men killer" team from back in the pre-Fox-deal days, now that the Inhumans series actually did tank.
And that's considering that fans did know who Black Bolt and Medusa were.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 25th, 2019, 9:15 pm

WandaVision inspired by The Dick Van Dyke Show was actually said by Kevin Feige, so I think they probably have a pretty good idea of what they want their tone to be...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 25th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Ben wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 9:15 pm
WandaVision inspired by The Dick Van Dyke Show was actually said by Kevin Feige, so I think they probably have a pretty good idea of what they want their tone to be...
I think they selectively remembered "Ohh, Rob!...", Dick tripping over the footstool to a Happy 60's-TV Theme, and Mary Tyler Moore dancing in capri pants--
But Alan Brady's toupee, or Kolak the Alien's walnuts, might have slipped their Millennial memory a tad. :roll:

Now, if they'd said Marlo Thomas and "That Girl", it would have been easier to believe.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 25th, 2019, 11:17 pm

No, on the contrary, they specifically cited the DVD Show as an example of a couple that had serious issues they had to work through at times.

Honestly, Eric, the way you jump to assumptions...