New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » September 12th, 2019, 11:12 am

It's out in the Netherlands! There's more then that early list said! Muppet films, herbie movies, classic mickey cartoons, darkwing duck, first kid with Sinbad (umm why?), cat from outer space, and tons others! There was a ant-man cartoon?

Phone version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Y4NELOMGQ

Another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqmXmh5DNp4

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 12th, 2019, 11:58 am

"Stoomboot Willie" :lol:

Pretty impressive. Still lacking in Vault Disney but it's in the early stages. Lucky Netherlands!

The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh... huge favorite! Just the theme alone evokes nostalgia.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 12th, 2019, 12:15 pm

More confirmed in the videos--darkwing duck, gummi bears, chip and dale rescue rangers, little mermaid cartoon, mr boogedy, return to oz, great muppet caper, the lego Disney specials, turner and hooch, who framed roger rabbit, Benji the hunted, pj masks, the muppets abc show, gargoyles!. mighty ducks cartoon, hulk and the agents of smash, kim possible, recess, tron cartoon, good luck Charlie, escape to witch mountain, frank and ollie, flubber, finest hours, heavywieghts, big green, blackbeards ghost, Classic mickey mouse cartoons, lilo and stitch movie and American series, boy meets world, mr toad, both adventures in babysitting, annie, apple dumping gang among tons others!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 12th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Ah Recess, another favorite of mine. "Scandalous".

"the muppets abc show" no! They tried too hard to be relevant instead of irreverent.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 12th, 2019, 10:59 pm

See? That is what I've been saying. There is a lot of content, and a lot of potential, beyond the stuff Disney has publicized the most.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 13th, 2019, 4:56 am

Still nothing to really grab me, though, even though I’ll get this day one when it belatedly launches in the UK. It’s all still froth and stuff I have, have seen, or have no interest in seeing again or for the first time.

Don’t get me wrong: it’s all great and still about what one would expect. And as I say I’m already in to subscribe when it hits here, but it’ll be when they go deep vault and start really mixing in the Fox stuff when this really starts becoming the Netflix killer it’s stealthily being designed as.

And I still bet Iger is kicking himself for letting the Miramax films go. Imagine all those award-winners and Touchstone titles all together in a "grown up" section or as a package on Hulu... Yeah, that was a dumb move for titles you already owned! Best thing they could do now is buy Miramax back (it’s currently for sale, again) and combine it with Fox Searchlight...wow.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 13th, 2019, 6:21 pm

OMG that would be AMAZING. :shock: I’m a HUGE Fox Searchlight fan already (Notes on a Scandal, 28 Days Later, Little Miss Sunshine: Nuff said!)

That library combined with Miramax (bought by Dis in 1993 when absolutely no one thought it had any chance of financial success) would just be mind-blowing.

I’m still mulling over whether or not to subscribe. The thing is, there are two reasons I’m hesitant:

1.). It still really bothers me that classic Walt animated features/shorts will be edited...I mean I understand that some insensitive/dated stereotypes might upset contemporary viewers, but if that’s the case, why watch the film at all? We all have choices about what to read or watch or listen to or whatever; Disney is not FORCING anyone to watch its classic films/shorts. Again, watching Disney is not the law, it’s a CHOICE. :?

2.). I’ve dearly loved Disney cartoons since I was three years old. Grew up with them, basically in my blood. If I have constant access to all that great stuff on a phone or iPad or whatever...it would be quite a challenge to have to pull myself away. :shock:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 13th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Uh-oh: ;)

And that's before it even "officially" launches... Safe to assume more will likely be added. Good selection. Love "The Wise Little Hen", and "Chef Donald" is a riot! "Pluto's Christmas Tree" is a classic and a must watch during the holiday.

And yet, I'm positive I own all these shorts in some capacity. (Treasures mainly) That right there is one of my hold ups. Yes, the convenience of anywhere and all in one place is not lost on me... still. Call me old fashioned. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 15th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Reports are now coming out that, in the Netherlands at least, Dumbo is on the service unedited. So, was the initial rumour wrong, was someone's mind changed after the outcry, or will the US be treated differently?

Or is this new rumour wrong...?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2019, 8:05 pm

It’s a wait and see! Wouldn’t be the first time things that were edited in the US were uncut internationally, though one would have thought they’d want to keep all the offerings standard across the board in this new streaming age.

We’ll know in due course, but my guess is that the initial rumour was incorrect. They may have disclaimers and the like, but I would have thought Disney knows better than to chop their prominently established history like that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 15th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Daniel wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 7:06 pm

And that's before it even "officially" launches... Safe to assume more will likely be added. Good selection. Love "The Wise Little Hen", and "Chef Donald" is a riot! "Pluto's Christmas Tree" is a classic and a must watch during the holiday.
Safe, but not guaranteed. The fact that "Three Little Pigs" and "Brave Little Tailor" are missing means that they probably will rotate a few "unknown" shorts in--And that it's not just Disney circling the wagons and saying "Eh, there's only seven shorts that the fans care about, so keep showing Steamboat Willie and Clock Cleaners".
Otherwise, The Band Concert, Lend a Paw, Pluto's Christmas Tree and Lonesome Ghosts play like the "standard rotation" of iconic-image shorts Disney trots out at studio-historical events to remind us who Mickey Mouse is.

Even when they own their own streaming service, there's still the basic DNA mindset left over from the Ron Miller 70's, that the vintage Donald & Mickey shorts are somehow too valuable to show to a mere TV audience...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 17th, 2019, 2:11 pm

New list of everything available at launch. No House of Mouse? Hmph. ;)

Kind of annoying how some sequels have a number instead of a roman numeral and vice versa...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Nice to see the occasional Fox family title pop up in there, which gives a clue as to how they will handle those films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 19th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Live specials will be featured.

If you have Disney Visa you'll be given two offers to sign up for D23. What use or fun is a "digital" poster!? To use as a desktop wallpaper? Kinda lame. Unless it happens to be animated, even still...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 24th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Pre-registration is now open!

Been seeing a lot of commercials for the service, mainly on Freeform; "Love this movie, start streaming it on Disney+ November 12th!" and they aired the trailer during the Emmy's.