DC comics streaming service to start September 15

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DC comics streaming service to start September 15

Post by ShyViolet » August 31st, 2018, 10:48 am

Here’s everything that’s known so far, announced by Kevin Smith. Lol. :)

https://www.newsweek.com/dc-universe-st ... in-1097903

They’ll have Batman: The Animated Series of course (plus its sister show Superman). So I guess that means they’re pulling it from Amazon Prime. :? No news on the date yet but I assume it’ll be very soon since the new service is launching so fast. I better start re-watching Season 4 (my fave one, with the new designs and Tim Drake) pronto! Lol.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: DC comics streaming service to start September 15

Post by Randall » August 31st, 2018, 9:13 pm

I'm interested in this due to the Titans and other new live action shows, but it won't launch in Canada. :( I suppose some of the new stuff will hit Blu-ray from Warner Archive at some point, or at least one hopes.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 1st, 2018, 7:15 am

Batman and Superman animated have just been pulled from Prime.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 1st, 2018, 1:07 pm

Oh, crud. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 2nd, 2018, 4:44 am

And this, ultimately, is why online/streaming sucks. You don’t own anything, not even the right to access what you signed up for. Same with these new services, which will no doubt "retire" certain titles as and when they have new promotions, or possibly even remove them completely for whatever trend of the day is happening.

Physical media is where it’s at: it’s real, can’t be taken away, doesn’t get deleted or corrupted (okay, some discs may go bad, but an entire drive's worth of titles won’t go bye-bye overnight), doesn’t buffer or hang, and comes with vastly better encoding, meaning less artefacts and banding and better sound and visual options and quality all around.

And the content is whatever I want it to be, so while I may be paying more (for a superior product) I’m also not shelling out on top of that for a heap of shows and films that I just don’t have any interest in (that, if I was curious, they could remove when I got halfway through anyway)!

Grrrrrr...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 2nd, 2018, 3:15 pm

Ben wrote:And this, ultimately, is why online/streaming sucks. You don’t own anything, not even the right to access what you signed up for. Same with these new services, which will no doubt "retire" certain titles as and when they have new promotions, or possibly even remove them completely for whatever trend of the day is happening.

Physical media is where it’s at: it’s real, can’t be taken away, doesn’t get deleted or corrupted (okay, some discs may go bad, but an entire drive's worth of titles won’t go bye-bye overnight), doesn’t buffer or hang, and comes with vastly better encoding, meaning less artefacts and banding and better sound and visual options and quality all around.
One of the reasons DRM digital-purchase movies hung around as long as they did--until the numbers came in seven years later and turned out nobody was buying them from the beginning--was that every argument about "Why the public LOVES digital!" was being muddied with starry-eyed stories about how many people were subscribing to Netflix for "Stranger Things", and how many Emmys Amazon and Hulu had won for Transparent and Handmaid.
(Which was a completely different market that had nothing to do with the argument, but that technical fact flew over the heads of most of the analysts defending it.)

Nowadays, DRM is, if not bankrupt, at least back to the stage-one curiosity it started with, ie. the paper code in your Blu-ray you never get around to redeeming--if the studios think Digital is at "war" with Blu-ray disc, it's pretty clear who just won--and all the studios now that think that "their" money and studio content-control is in following CBS AllAccess' lead and starting their own new corprate-vanity online-streaming channel. Despite the fact that the only reason people still subscribe to Netflix is that they want one coverall service, and don't WANT to subscribe to three or four or five.
Disney's at least seems like it'll have enough actual studio-owned content, but how much DC Animation, CW reruns and Warner movies ARE there for Warner/DC to try branding themselves solo, that couldn't be done for just a modest paywall channel on Amazon?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 2nd, 2018, 9:17 pm

Not sure how prime does it but vudu you keep all shows and movies you have even after it's no longer on there to buy. My case closed season is still there and the show is no longer on there to buy. Same with my ultimate avengers movie.

Edit-just checked and you can still buy all the dcu shows on amazon prime. But yeah shows and movies won't stay on sites like Netflix and hulu forever. They are like tv stations and will switch them out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 22nd, 2020, 4:44 pm

Wasn’t sure if we had anywhere we were talking about the Dc Fandome event, but this seemed close enough!

So, anyone else watching the love stream? I didn’t sign up in the end, but it seems anyone can watch anyway. Currently there’s a Joker retrospective, but I’d be interested in what is being beamed around the world: currently between these clips we have a female British host linking things, but is that the same for everyone?

It kind of feels a bit "fake" and all pre-packaged together rather than a "live" event, though I might just be missing a load of stuff because I didn’t sign up, which is now unavailable on the home page, which just has the stream now.

I’ll keep dropping in and out as it goes, I think, and see what I catch. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 22nd, 2020, 5:13 pm

Is she wearing a "I Am Wonder Woman" shirt and red polka dot skirt? That's who I'm seeing. Before she appeared there was a discussion going on about Static Shock returning via digital.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 22nd, 2020, 5:43 pm

Nothing was loading on Microsoft Edge, but Chrome is working okay. Checking out the Snyder discussion now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 22nd, 2020, 5:58 pm

4 hours. Wow. And that sneak peek, I have to admit, got me pretty excited to see the Snyder Cut. Yes! Something to look forward to in 2021!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 22nd, 2020, 9:15 pm

Four hours? Is that how long the overall programming runs? It’s just started again at 2am here, so if it’s a four hour block, that’ll start again at six, and then again at 10am, which makes more sense for me to watch then!

Any idea how far in the Snyder stuff came? That’s my primary interest, I suppose. Very impressed with the overall presentation. It’s clearly all prerecorded, but the level of technical quality and editing makes it all very flashy and slick, but also consistent. Good jawb WB-DC guys!

EDIT: Lynda Carter just crashed the WW panel...how great did she look!? Better than even her guest shots on Supergirl a year or two ago; Gal makes for a good "younger version" of her.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 22nd, 2020, 11:11 pm

The four hours I mentioned is the runtime for Snyder's Justice League film. Of course, that's for 4, one-hour parts. That's consistent with Snyder's vision of this being two feature films. So, the all-in-one version that will appear later, with just one set of credits, will run for maybe 210 minutes or so. Still pretty epic, and it puts the 118-minhute runtime of Whedon's JL to shame. Not that longer necessarily means better, but Whedon's film really needed more room to breathe.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 22nd, 2020, 11:12 pm

To see where Snyder shows up, look at the schedule:
https://schedule.dcfandome.com/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 23rd, 2020, 4:13 am

Ooh...schedule good! Darn it, though...we will probably have company here this afternoon when Snyder-Man's panel replays. Oh well, sounds cool.

Oh, okay, four hours for the new cut (ironically, Fandome turned out to be an eight hour block, so the timing still kind of worked out!). It was being reported that it was four one hours or an option to watch as one movie, with the one movie version also coming to other formats...yay!

That’s a little harsh to say it will put the theatrical "to shame" though: yes, of course it will in terms of content, but you can’t put a film to shame over length! How many times have extended cuts been too extended! Not that this is an extended cut, as it’s a totally alternative version, and to be fair, Whedon was a studio mandated guy who came in with a job to do and, to the best of his ability, he did it. The result was an entertaining but totally disjointed and slightly bizarre mess, and this "finished"version will totally blow it out if the water for sure, but it’s a totally different animal: you can blast something for simply being lame, as JL was, but that was also made to pack in more showtimes as well, so not a good barometer for quality! That whole thing was a cluster-fudge, and even though I was no fan of BvS, I’m super excited and glad that Snyder gets the chance to do what he wanted to do, and will have the room to do it!