Farmageddon going straight to Netflix?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Farmageddon going straight to Netflix?

Post by James » November 23rd, 2019, 9:34 am

Just wanted to make sure I was reading this correctly before posting to the site or updating the calendar. Is the Shaun the Sheep sequel bypassing theatres to debut on Netflix, or did Netflix get the streaming rights after its theatrical run. Sounds like the former to me.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/netfl ... 202191017/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Farmageddon going straight to Netflix?

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2019, 10:16 am

It is a little murky. It still gets an Oscar-qualifying theatre run, so it doesn't actually skip theatres entirely; but it's not clear which happens first. It streams in early 2020, and a theatrical run occurs "next season" (I suspect the writer doesn't even know when that actually is). And it doesn't say how wide a release it will be. Just LA? Or a short wide release? Who knows? How big of a release is The Irishman getting?

Regardless, reading the article, the Netflix animation initiative seems way more exciting than what we're seeing out of the big studios!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2019, 11:19 am

From Wiki:

"A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon was first released in Germany on 26 September 2019 while in the United Kingdom, it was released on 18 October 2019.. Netflix bought the rights for U.S., Canada and Latin America to release it on early 2020."

So...yeah...looks like 'Flix is going to be Aardman's next saviour!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 23rd, 2019, 10:19 pm

That wiki entry must’ve been changed very recently. I was on the page last week when updating the calendar and it didn’t have that news yet.

Thanks guys, I thought I was reading it right, but wanted a second opinion. Posted the news and removed it from the calendar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 24th, 2019, 5:51 am

Or...do we keep it on the calendar but label it as a Netflix release?

As as streaming becomes the norm, do we continue with a calendar that includes those "opening date" release...? :?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 24th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Maybe I'm old school, but I think at least for now the calendar app should be reserved for "normal" theatrical releases?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 24th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Dacey wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 4:59 pm
Maybe I'm old school, but I think at least for now the calendar app should be reserved for "normal" theatrical releases?
Well, that's just it--They ALL think they're going to be theatrical releases. (At first.... :twisted: )

And like the old 80's/90's, some even get the one-week April/February-dump "Billboard release" just to either qualify themselves for Oscar running, or so they can establish themselves as a "real" animated release when they go to home video.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 25th, 2019, 5:58 am

Well there I was thinking this was in the private section.

Farmegeddon is a "real" theatrical release. It’s been shown in theatres all over the world. The first didn’t make a lot in the US (not even usual Aardman figures, admittedly low to begin with) so it was obviously having trouble picking up distribution. Netflix see a chance to pick up another title, and Aardman get to see their film get an alternate wide US release, plus both open the door to a potential new relationship going forward.

What will be more interesting is where Chicken Run 2 will end up. Are Aardman going it alone, or with regular international partners StudioCanal, or will Universal give them a "one last chance" theatrical release via DreamWorks? Whichever it is, Eric will find a reason to gripe and snipe from his little box on the sidelines...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 7th, 2019, 2:56 pm

I don't think there would be any harm to include it on the app, provided it had a wraparound banner to indicate Netflix. Not everyone follows release dates like we do, so some may wonder what happened to the movie, or think they may have missed it. Think it only fair since it was originally going to theatres.

If not, how about a sub-section for streaming? That could be cool.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 8th, 2019, 10:25 am

With Netflix set to become a big animation player, I think we may need to do something along those lines.

(We watched Klaus last night. My wife was saddened that it didn't get a theatrical release, since it was so well done. But it's fantastic that Netflix is giving a platform to animated films that the other studios won't produce.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2019, 10:31 am

What age do you think Klaus would play well to? Lion King last night might have been a little intense for our friends' 6-8 year olds but I’m wondering whether to suggest Klaus for Christmas...?

I’m glad it sounds good!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 8th, 2019, 1:59 pm

I'm sure kids would enjoy it. It's a family show. Nothing too intense that I can recall.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 9th, 2019, 1:56 pm

I'm going to disagree. Theatrical wide releases have been our criteria. We haven't listed every independent film that played in 200 theatres on there. We haven't put straight-to-home-video releases on there, even if they were slated for the big screen when planned. And we definitely haven't put TV movies on there. The point? We did draw a line on what we include. So the discussion isn't should we not include certain films, it's where do we draw the line.

My vote is not to include streaming movies, for several reasons. First off, let's admit it, it will be easier for us! Second, not sure that Netflix or Apple TV or the like always lists a release date months or years in advance. Third, they don't get promoted the same way. Did anyone actually see an ad for Klaus or did they just turn on Netflix one day and there it was? Fourth, because of points two and three, people aren't really counting the days until these movies like they do with the big theatrical releases. And lastly, there is still something to savor about the theatre experience over TV. I have a home theatre. I have cable, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and some other minor streaming services. So nothing against watching movies at home here! But even with my 106 inch screen, nothing beats going to see a movie at the theatre. That experience feels worthy of an app.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Again...this really should be a private section discussion, no? I made the same mistake myself, above, but it feels we shouldn’t be having an open editorial back and forth on the open forum...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2019, 2:27 pm

But then you would be deprived of my "voice". ;)

There's not much more to say, honestly. I totally get drawing the line somewhere, and after reading the reasons, I agree. Never really thought of it that way. Still feel bad for Shaun, though. Actually was counting down the days and planning on seeing it. :(
James wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Third, they don't get promoted the same way. Did anyone actually see an ad for Klaus or did they just turn on Netflix one day and there it was?
I've seen a lot of commercials on TV.