Six Dr. Seuss Books To No Longer Be Printed!

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Six Dr. Seuss Books To No Longer Be Printed!

Post by Dacey » March 6th, 2021, 5:19 pm

:)

All very good points. For me personally I think the ebay decision was where I lost my "cool" on this, as that is where I think the line was crossed here (though it is possible Droo was right and it was simply about sellers overblowing the price, but that's not the reason they gave for it). For what it's worth, the move comes across as hypocritical as heck, since you can still buy this on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Black-Clot ... SwhWZgO9WH
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 28th, 2021, 3:43 pm

And it continues...

https://deadline.com/2021/03/captain-un ... 234723399/

I tried buying it on ebay for a reasonable price. It was in my cart, but when I clicked "checkout" the site wouldn't let me. Now the site behaves as though book doesn't exist when you search it. Other sites are the same way, including third party dealers. Seriously, it's kind of scary how this book isn't available anywhere only hours after this press release comes out.

It may not be official "censorship"--but it still feels uncomfortable. And there's a BIG difference between no longer publishing the book and taking the published copies out of circulation.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 28th, 2021, 5:13 pm

This was reported a week ago. Ebay banned selling the books! Amazon market still sells them at about $100 for some of them used!

https://fortune.com/2021/03/05/dr-seuss ... -listings/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 28th, 2021, 5:45 pm

fwiw, gaastra .. Dacey's link refers to a different book; The Adventures of Ook & Gluk, Kung Fu Cavemen From The Future, by Dav Pilkey (of Captain Underpants fame).

eBay and Amazon are far from the only booksellers online, however.

One of my favorite online sources for old or 'out-of-print' books (which I've used for over 20 years) is BookFinder.com .. though, it's less of an actual marketplace, and more of a connected database enabling 'brick & mortar' used bookstores to offer their wares for sale on the internet.

Just enter an author and title, and you'll be presented with multiple options, sorted by price (from 'reasonable,' all the way up to :shock: ) -- from bookstores all over the world.

Be sure to read the condition descriptions carefully (especially for childrens' books; which tend to take a beating, depending on the age of the kid(s) who previously owned 'em). And best of luck in your search. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 18th, 2023, 1:14 pm

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever read…

https://mobile.twitter.com/incunabula/s ... 7104857089

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 18th, 2023, 3:51 pm

Poor Rudyard Kipling.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 18th, 2023, 3:52 pm

Posthumously, of course, like the new CS Lewis-estate Narnia ordering. :roll:

Even worse, Warner a while back was trying to beat their Willy Wonka IP into the ground, and released a series of branded spinoff Charlie & the Chocolate Factory kids/activity books styled to Roald Dahl with new Quentin Blake illustrations in the style of the book originals--
Except that in a few of the books, the characters were now Tim Burton canon: Mike and Violet were a gamer and a gymnast, and the Oompa Loompas wore their identical latex rock-Devo suits.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 18th, 2023, 4:33 pm

For real, though, who gets upset over activity books?

Like for real. What exactly am I supposed to be “upset” over? That they’re making activity books based off a successful movie for them? How exactly is this “even worse” than the actual censorship going on with Dahl’s own books now over the stupidest stuff? (Including the color of the tractors in Fantastic Mr. Fox being black)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2023, 8:53 pm

So will the new title be…

's The Jungle Book

…?

The woke…er, sorry…world has indeed gone mad(der).. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 20th, 2023, 1:38 am

Dacey wrote:
February 18th, 2023, 4:33 pm
For real, though, who gets upset over activity books?
Today the spinoff marketing books, tomorrow.... :shock:
Like for real. What exactly am I supposed to be “upset” over? That they’re making activity books based off a successful movie for them?
Umm, NOOOO...Might want to go back and read more carefully the bit after "Tim Burton", where either Warner has taken over the Wonka/Charlie marketing, or the Dahl estate now thinks it's a real thing.
I don't mind bad remakes, it's when they try to poison the wells and indoctrinate their footprint on posterity that they have to be slapped down.

(So, do we get a "Wonka's dentist father" chapter added to future book editions of Charlie, to bring it in line with established "canon"?)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 20th, 2023, 2:24 am

Your weird obsession with hating Tim Burton has gotten very old by now.

Again, activity books. No one cares about activity books. It’s not part of some dark conspiracy to “indoctrinate” people or whatever the heck it is you are saying.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » February 20th, 2023, 10:54 am

Dacey wrote:
February 20th, 2023, 2:24 am
Your weird obsession with hating Tim Burton has gotten very old by now.

Again, activity books. No one cares about activity books. It’s not part of some dark conspiracy to “indoctrinate” people or whatever the heck it is you are saying.
Still, with all these petty and pointless edits done on Dahl's books and the banning of many books from schools, I can't help feeling quite scared. I am an aspiring author, and hearing about all of this really makes me worried.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2023, 1:55 pm

Dacey wrote:
February 20th, 2023, 2:24 am
No one cares about activity books.
True. Besides, those were released as tie-ins for when the remake came out back in 2005! Pretty routine marketing ploy...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2023, 5:34 pm

Dahl saved! Queen Camilla's public protestations have prompted publishers Puffin (this is a lot of Ps!) to recant: they will now continue printing the original versions alongside this newfangled woke-foolery. Yay for a bit of sensibleness! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 24th, 2023, 5:41 pm

And in the UK, they are...OBSESSED with Dahl. You can fool with Shakespeare, but nobody touches Matilda or George's Marvelous Medicine.
(Probably because the British are neurotically dismissive of children's books/movies, and think Dahl's revolting tales for nasty children was some kind of cultural thunderbolt.)