Oscar Nominations 2022

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Oscar Nominations 2022

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2022, 5:28 am

That’s funny, because I could hum you The Avengers or Iron Man Three right now! And I really liked Horner and Zimmer's stuff on The Amazing Garfield movies even if the films themselves were duds. But then I’m a soundtrack junkie. I’d bet if you asked any, just casual filmgoer to hum a superhero theme, they’d actually go with the 60s Batman and Spider-Man themes, because songs with a lyric will always resonate more with "non-musical" ears.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 10th, 2022, 3:59 pm

I agree with Bill for the most part, but I think Marvel has a lot of good memorable themes. I could hum almost anyone of them right now. Like Ben, I'm probably not the average movie-goer when it comes to film music. But I wouldn't lump Marvel in with the forgettable scores.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 22nd, 2022, 11:29 pm

Well this seems dumb: Eight Oscar Categories To Be Presented In Audience Just Before Show And Later Rolled Into Live Telecast

https://deadline.com/2022/02/oscars-tap ... 234958336/

They’re doing this so they can include more “comedy, musical numbers, film clip packages and movie tributes”. But don’t worry — the show will still come in at “three hours”.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 23rd, 2022, 2:51 am

I just don't understand why they don't just stick to the awards and have them broken up by the nominated songs (that's the entertainment and its linked to the actual ceremony) and have the In Memoriam. Dump the clip packages, dump the tributes .
If the Academy was so determined to win back viewers how about nominating some of the decent big movies the audience saw that year instead, they don't have to win but it makes the awards more accessible to the regular person ie Ghost or that Indiana Jones one that got nominated.

I also think it is time that the voters stop throwing a little golden man to every Best Picture nominee in one of the other nominated categories to justify its nomination in the top category and allow the Best Picture to actually win more than a couple of awards on the night.

They also need to stop jumping on band wagons. I don't know who it happens but I swear at the end of every recent ceremony you notice a theme with what was given an award that year, and mostly it s a theme that allows the Academy to pat themselves on the back for being woke - for a lack of a better term - a fixing an issue so the media - both regualr adn the socials - don't attack them.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 23rd, 2022, 3:38 am

Yeah, of course my category (editing) would be relegated. Nevermind. It's only the craft where the ENTIRE FRICKIN' PROJECT COMES TOGETHER in the final version that you would see on screen………!!!!!!!!! :evil:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 23rd, 2022, 6:49 am

So the game awards. Also funny they don't have time for these awards but will have that popular movie vote fan contest during the show.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 23rd, 2022, 2:15 pm

Which is already backfiring on them big time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 23rd, 2022, 2:39 pm

Ben wrote:
February 10th, 2022, 4:36 am
It remains hilarious to me that Encanto is in there for score. Outside of the songs, hum me one bit of it…?
And no, not THAT bit of it, either.

Although yes, hummable Original Score was another thing we lost with Return of the King in '04.
Aside from Michael Giacchino's Pixar scores, like every other Pixar-related Oscar we've rooted for since then.

Here, though, it's another case of not enough nominees for Best Original Song/Adaptation Score, so it got lumped into the main category, just like those 90's Renaissance years of the Disney musicals plowing through the category.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 26th, 2022, 2:05 pm

Razzie Award "Winners":
The Hollywood Reporter wrote:WORST PICTURE
Diana the Musical (The Netflix Version) (WINNER)

WORST ACTOR
LeBron James / Space Jam: A New Legacy (WINNER)

WORST ACTRESS
Jeanna de Waal / Diana the Musical (WINNER)

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Judy Kaye (As BOTH Queen Elizabeth & Barbara Cartland)/ Diana the Musical (WINNER)

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jared Leto / House of Gucci (WINNER)

WORST PERFORMANCE by BRUCE WILLIS in a 2021 MOVIE (Special Category)
Bruce Willis / Cosmic Sin (WINNER)

WORST SCREEN COUPLE
LeBron James & Any Warner Cartoon Character (or Time-Warner Product) He Dribbles on / Space Jam: A New Legacy (WINNER)

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Space Jam: A New Legacy (WINNER)

WORST DIRECTOR
Christopher Ashley / Diana the Musical (WINNER)

WORST SCREENPLAY
Diana the Musical / Script by Joe DiPietro, Music and Lyrics by DiPietro and David Bryan (WINNER)
Worst Performance by Bruce Willis is a highly competitive category. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2022, 6:26 pm

I have to see Diana now… Apparently it really is Cats bad! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 26th, 2022, 6:40 pm

Actual lyric: "It's a thrilla in Manila with Diana and Camilla". :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 27th, 2022, 3:43 am

Honestly I quite enjoyed the musical. And truthfully I think it's a bit harsh to include a filming of a staged production as a legit movie/ Sure it's not high brow art but it's an easy way to pass a wet afternoon and the music is quite catchy. Even if it sounds dated and borderline school production level of quality. I feel so many modern musicals forget that they are allowed to have fun and don't have to be so serious about everything. And a massive unpopular opinion I would choose to watch Diana a second time than watch Hamilton a second time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 27th, 2022, 5:01 am

Bill1978 wrote:
March 27th, 2022, 3:43 am
…sounds dated and borderline school production level of quality.
I get what you’re saying about presenting a live recording as a movie-movie, and I agree, but your other comment there does speak that if that’s the case then they’re setting themselves up for a fall to begin with. Don’t forget that this was supposed to be a massive, important Broadway show until Covid shut it down, hence why they tried to salvage it with the filmed production. And, yes, while musicals *should* be fun, I’m not sure what ended up being quite a tragic story is the basis for something that seems so flippant and disrespectful to its subject, based on the tone and lyrics I have already heard.

But I’m with you on Hamilton. I’d probably choose to watch *anything* — even Cats! — than that again! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 27th, 2022, 5:15 am

Ben wrote:
March 27th, 2022, 5:01 am

I’m not sure what ended up being quite a tragic story is the basis for something that seems so flippant and disrespectful to its subject, based on the tone and lyrics I have already heard.
I did find the number where Diana visits the AIDS hospital well done and the revelation of her death I found quite moving. The main issue I felt the musical had was rushing through her royal life like it was the Cliff Note's version. It may be been better to focus on the whole courting and marriage part OR the events leading up to her death but not her whole life. Oh and a lack of an audience gave it that quality that we were watching a work in progress version.

But I don't think it deserves all those Razzies, but then I find the Razzies has just become an awards show that picks a movie to dump on to be cool and the fact they chose Diana and Space Jam 2 to be the most awarded supports that. The idea they are truly awarding the worse has gone out the window. Pretty sure they pick stuff to help with publicity. But at least they tend to nominate stuff the public knows haha.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 27th, 2022, 1:37 pm

Bill1978 wrote:
March 27th, 2022, 5:15 am
I did find the number where Diana visits the AIDS hospital well done...
I read that one of the patients sings "I may be unwell but I'm handsome as hell!" And this isn't a comedy!? ;)