Disney Movie Rewards

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Movie Rewards

Post by Daniel » September 21st, 2020, 3:03 pm

They posted a preview of what's in store for Wednesdays drop:

Star Wars Pop (400 points)
Thor: The Dark World poster (800 points)
Frozen II lithograph (1,250 points)
The Lion King 4K (1994) (1,250 - 1,500 points)
Wreck-it Ralph 4K (1,250 - 1,500 points)

Nothing for me again. Although I appreciate the heads up.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2020, 4:11 pm

Uh-oh...if they start offering more 4Ks I may end up biting...though maybe not for Ralph. If they do Call Of The Wild or the Cinderella remake it might be worth it...currently have no need for Cinders, but, y’know, if it's "free"... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 21st, 2020, 6:54 pm

I suspect this is another hint (after their deciding "no more" live-action 4K's) that Disney is doing another Blu3D on 4K UHD, telling the industry that, quote, "everyone knows" it didn't catch on, and quickly bailing on their past releases.

Which isn't good news hoping for those finally curious about jumping onto 4K once the Playstation 5 comes out, but then, those who remember what sank 3D saw this one coming too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 22nd, 2020, 2:23 am

3D was dead before it even started. 3D Blu-rays are not enough to sustain the 3D "industry", you actually need TV content in order to do that and since there wasn't any then 3D television sets weren't sold thus making the films not sell.
4K and HDR is actually the natural progression from 2D SDR content, you already have TV shows released in 4K whether on cable or streaming and Disney's decision was only about physical releases, they'll be available on digital or streaming (and as far as I know it's only for the next six months and doesn't apply to their animated catalog).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 22nd, 2020, 4:36 am

Farerb wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 2:23 am
3D was dead before it even started. 3D Blu-rays are not enough to sustain the 3D "industry", you actually need TV content in order to do that and since there wasn't any then 3D television sets weren't sold thus making the films not sell.
No, Disney wanted to bury 3D PERSONALLY.
It had always been a problem for them, first with the "disc-stuffing", from the fact that every combo had to have DVD, Blu, digital-copy download, optional extras, and 3D, which could make Pixar's "Brave" a $45 5-disc set that didn't exactly fly off shelves.
Then, when the fans and industry called to "strip" the combos (and Disney finally discovering that streaming could help them retire the DC disc), they experimented with releasing a separate 3D-only 1-disc release of "Oz the Great & Powerful"...Unfortunately, they not only released it at the same $35 price as the 2D combo, which sort of defeated the purpose, every Disney-paranoid disc fan (there were a lot of them back then), fresh off of complaining about Cars 2's lack of a bonus disc on the 3D, either complained about no extras or no 2D Blu, and tinfoiled that, quote, "greedy" Disney was "deliberately making them buy both" at full price to get them. :roll:

After that full-blown tantrum, that's when we started getting Disney cutting back on 3D releases, with PR that, quote, "the entire industry" was ready to give up on 3D...Despite the fact that not only was every other studio still releasing 3D titles, so were their own Pixar, Marvel and Lucas. And at the $25 2-disc 2D+3D combos that fans had been asking for.
That was the point at which Frozen's long awaited 3D disc suddenly "went missing" from a factory delay, and never came back.

When 4KTV was announced (after unsuccessful TV experiments with "Curved screens" and the cold-fusion search for "Glasses-free 3D"), most of the fans and industry had literally no idea what it was--They just knew that "Aha, here's the New Thing that comes along and replaces the Old Thing!", and rooted for 4K to "destroy" 3D as soon as possible. Despite the fact that many of the first 4K sets were still 3D compatible.
If 4K never quite ultimately took hold as much as fans thought it would, well, that's how Spite relationships usually end up. :P
Last edited by EricJ on September 22nd, 2020, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 22nd, 2020, 4:42 am

You forgot that Zootopia and Moana were released in 3D and that Disney still produces 3D in UK and Europe (where you can also find Frozen and Big Hero 6) and I don't really see a lot of studios releasing 3D now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 22nd, 2020, 5:03 am

DreamWorks is still issuing UK 3Ds as well. And I don’t know a single person here who uses 3D on their set, even if they have it! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 22nd, 2020, 6:07 pm

So--like their once troubles with Studio Ghibli--Disney doesn't have a problem with 3D, just in the US.
Gee. Wonder how THAT happened.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 23rd, 2020, 8:40 pm

So tempted by that Ralph 4K, but I know I don’t need it. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 24th, 2020, 9:45 am

*proceeds to redeem the Lion King 4K even though already have multiple copies on blu ray and DVD*

... I mean, what?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm

VHS, LD box, DVD box, Blu-ray 3D, Signature BD, Signature 4K...plus three or four soundtrack/broadway show CD releases, the DTV sequels on DVD and Blu, and the remake 4K...not to mention at least a couple of books...

Yeah, I feel you. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 26th, 2020, 3:16 pm

At least you didn't get the trilogy drum set...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Well that just would have been CRAZY... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 27th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Enter DISNEYWEEKEND for 15 points.